Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   PT/ H2H (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Running shoe's (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31023)

chance 11-08-2010 01:54

Running shoe's

I need some advice on running shoes, The pair I have now are over a year old and are starting to give me leg trouble because of it.
So after searching on here I really didn't find any good answers, also can you tell me where to order said shoes that will ship to an APO? Heres a real quick run down of my foot to help with any advice you guys might have. They're 10.5-11.0 wide my arches are normal per Doc. Also I don't want to get the five finger shoes so they're out of the question. :lifter

Thanks Guys

BigJimCalhoun 11-08-2010 07:26

Here is a start....

New Balance makes shoes in wide. I do not use them myself however. I seem to do well with Nike Pegasus.

This place ships to APO

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/cat_mens_shoes.htm
FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS
thru November 11

Free Shipping on all orders is valid through November 11, 2010 11:59 PM ET.
Free shipping applies to UPS Ground Shipping to the 48 Continental United States.
Free shipping applies to USPS Priority Mail to AK, HI, PO boxes, U.S Postal Territories, and APO/FPO addresses.

Longstreet 11-08-2010 09:45

Can you run barefoot?

My GF who is a physio recently went to a seminar and has learned that barefoot running or almost barefoot (the finger shoes or wetsock type shoes) running is to be the next trend with running footwear. There is some compelling evidence to support this, but I cannot explain more due to time. I will return later and expand on this topic.

jaYson

Masochist 11-08-2010 10:49

For starters, purchase a quality shoe and not something off the discount rack. I'm not necessarily saying the new $200 astronaut-tested running shoes are better than an $80 pair of Saucony or New Balance, but I can definitely tell you that $80 pair is better than the $30 pair you find at Pay Less. You get what you pay for, and that investment will pay off when your feet hit the trails.

How long ago did a doc tell you you had normal arches? If it's been a while, or you've been rucking a lot, you may find your arches aren't exactly what you think they are. The older I get and the more mileage I put on my feet, I notice they become more troll-like every year. Since you're overseas and probably not down the road from a podiatrist or running shoe store, try the wet test (Runner's World Wet Test).

Another consideration you might want to keep in mind is where you'll be running. Will you be on soft sand, asphalt or the rocky terrain of Afghan-land? That will make the difference between getting Vibram Five-Fingers (toe shoes) vs. a rugged trail shoe.

One last note. If you'll be doing a lot of running, and can afford it, try to have two pairs of running shoes in rotation like you would boots. It gives them more time to dry out, return to form, etc. Some online sites that (I believe) ship to APOs and can hopefully get you good shoes for cheap are below. Hope this helps:

- Eastbay (check out their outlet for discounts): http://www.eastbay.com
- Oconus.com (not a shoe store, but a list of companies that ship overseas): http://www.oconus.com/main/shoes.asp

Wilesthing 11-08-2010 10:50

www.runningwarehouse.com is really good. They allow free returns and even include prepaid return labels in case you don't like them.

Ideally you would go to a knowledgeable running specialty store to get properly analyzed and fitted and then in the future order online, but that doesn't sound feasible right now. Lots of brands come in wide sizes, and some brands actually run wider than others in their standard sizing. For example I'm a wide in Asics shoes but Nike's Structure Triax fits me perfectly in the standard width, which kind of highlights the need to be fitted by someone at a specialty store. At least with Running Warehouse's return policy you can take your best guess and mail them back for free if you need to exchange them.

Longstreet 11-08-2010 11:19

Quote:

Can you run barefoot?

My GF who is a physio recently went to a seminar and has learned that barefoot running or almost barefoot (the finger shoes or wetsock type shoes) running is to be the next trend with running footwear. There is some compelling evidence to support this, but I cannot explain more due to time. I will return later and expand on this topic.

jaYson
Sorry for the delay. As I was saying, there is supporting evidence to suggest that the best shoes for running are the ones with less padding. So yes, barefoot or shoes that supply only a limited sole (track shoes or even wetsocks) may be the way of the future when running. The reason for this is that by buying a shoe that corrects a particular problem, it often creates a new problem somewhere else in the body. So while a pair of New Balances may cure your foot problem, they may also create a new problem in your knee. My GF wears orthotics and she is convinced that given proper training and time, her feet will adapt and she will be leaving her orthotics and Sauconys behind. To add to this, when our child is born, he/she will not be wearing the usual baby shoes, but rather wetsocks to help strengthen his/her feet.

Do not be surprised if you do not see this idea catching on quickly with shoe manufactuers though. The average marathon runner replaces his/her shoes every 300-350 miles; running barefoot is free. Using barefoot shoes is considerably cheaper and they do not need to be replaced as often. And of course the orthotic manufacturers do not want to embrace this idea either.

Who would have thought that in 2010, your old Chuck Taylor's would be the running shoes of choice?

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will speak to my GF.

jaYson

Masochist 11-08-2010 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longstreet (Post 355908)
To add to this, when our child is born, he/she will not be wearing the usual baby shoes, but rather wetsocks to help strengthen his/her feet.

They make them that small? Amazing.

Quote:

Do not be surprised if you do not see this idea catching on quickly with shoe manufactuers though.
It already has to some degree with the Nike Free and such. I think it will be going much farther in the future.

Very good points, but a big thing to keep in mind is running surface (especially since the originator of this thread most likely isn't running on a cushy synthetic track currently). Just as running on asphalt 24/7 (regardless of shoe type) will eventually cause shin and knee injury, running with minimal padding over rugged terrain could lead to severe injury, especially if starting out too fast. Your soft feet aren't as protected, and your tendons haven't adapted from a lifetime of running in shoes to running without. The barefoot thing might be something to try once you're back in the states, but while deployed I wouldn't be starting a completely new program with high potential for injury (if not done properly). My two cents ...

craigepo 11-08-2010 11:44

During the trail run last week, I saw 4-5 people complete the run in the Vibram five-toe shoe/slippers/whatever the hell they are called. Amazingly stupid looking. But, the more runners I talk to, the more I'm convinced that landing on one's heel while jogging is very unhealthy.

I've said it before, but if you haven't read the book "Born to Run", go get a copy. It will totally change the way you think about running.

99meters 11-08-2010 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longstreet (Post 355908)
To add to this, when our child is born, he/she will not be wearing the usual baby shoes, but rather wetsocks to help strengthen his/her feet. jaYson

When your kid is born let him/her spend as much time crawling as possible.... does great things for upper/lower limb coordination down the road. If you must do something for the feet, I would go with kisses and tickles.

Barefoot running does strengthen the foot. For years track & field coaches would have athletes perform a number of drills barefoot during warm-up or cool-downs to strenghten the feet. I did it when I was coaching and saw a reduction in soft-tissue injuries with my athletes. However, you don't need to do a 5 mile run barefooted to reap the benifits.
You go running to improve fitness not strengthen your feet. Don't fall for every fad (a few years back it was pose running). Like I said the benifits could be had with a few simple barefooted drills before or after your run.

PedOncoDoc 11-08-2010 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99meters (Post 355922)
When your kid is born let him/her spend as much time crawling as possible.... does great things for upper/lower limb coordination down the road. If you must do something for the feet, I would go with kisses and tickles.

I agree with the above - my children did not wear shoes until about 18 months of age and they had already mastered walking - then they only wore shoes outside the house when it was cold or going to restaurants/public places. I believe it allows for normal bone maturation and alignment to occur, whereas placing them in shoes (especially hard-soled shoes) does not allow for the normal development/strengthening/etc.

Masochist 11-08-2010 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99meters (Post 355922)
Like I said the benifits could be had with a few simple barefooted drills before or after your run.

As a kid (read: anything before age 12), I used to do most of my playing outside in bare feet. A gravel driveway and a grassy yard were my playground. If I left my front yard, say to roam in the woods or ride bikes, I would put on shoes. I attribute my feet's resiliency to growing up like this. No real scientific backing, just opinion based on knowing my body from when I was young and now that I'm getting older.

When I was at the Infantry School this summer, I started to see more and more people running around post with the Vibram Five-Fingers. Those that I talked to had a lot of good things to say about them. However, their number one caveat was start low (mileage) and slow, even if you're a marathon runner. Just like any new exercise, develop a good base and work your way up from there.

Buffalobob 11-08-2010 15:32

Shoes are designed for feet and people. Stability shoes for the pronators. Heavy cushioned shoes for the 190+ pound muscle guys, light flimsy shoes for the 90 pound weaklings. Slip lasted or board lasted. Once we get through the type of shoe then you have to deal with fit. With narrow heel and splayed toes you might not actually need a wide shoe but just need a round toe box. Lots of Nike's have narrow heels and toe boxes but slip lasted shoes often have more room in the toes for some reason. A wide shoe that has a wide heel that you don't need will flop around and make you run like Ronald McDonald.

You have problems coming and going. A shoe is good for about 6 months use or 500 miles which ever come first and then needs to be replaced as a running shoe ( still good for going to the Safeway). A new shoe needs to be used carefully and moderately until your body adjusts to it - about two weeks of running every other day in it. You can tear all of your tendons to spaghetti with a new shoe.

Once you find a shoe that really suits you then buy three or four pairs because they will discontinue any shoe that they discover is really a good shoe for running.

You can look at the wear on the soles of your current shoes and tell lots of things about what kind of shoe you actually need.

Buffalobob 11-08-2010 19:36

Just to be a little more help. Go to Runners World as Masochist said and do the wet test and then hit the tab that says foot diagnostics and it will explain how to examine your shoes for wear.

Then you can go to

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

And use "Shoe dog" to find the models that may work. I use "may" because they still have to fit your particular foot. I know from decades of running what kind of shoe I need and the Shoe Dog actually returned the shoe I currently use. I was truly amazed.

99meters 11-08-2010 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigepo (Post 355914)
But, the more runners I talk to, the more I'm convinced that landing on one's heel while jogging is very unhealthy.

Is this just a technique thing? or are you saying that most running shoes force a heel first foot strike?

Quixote 11-08-2010 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99meters (Post 355969)
Is this just a technique thing? or are you saying that most running shoes force a heel first foot strike?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here's the gist of it - Adding all of that padding under the heel to "cushion" your step doesn't do anything to actually reduce the amount of impact your body feels. All it does is reduce the sensory input of your foot (which is one of the most sensitive places on the human body) to the point where you can and do land on the extremely bony and naturally hard heel due to the increased elevation.

The arch of the foot is a tremendous shock absorber. A forefoot strike allows the impact to travel up the leg allowing you to use your naturally elastic tendons and ligaments. Traditional running shoes with a built up heel and a restrictive shape ruin that action. That, the theory is, is the source of the vast majority of running injuries that plague us in our modern times.

Check out Chi Running or the Pose method for more information on foot strike, and I also highly recommend Born to Run. There's an interesting statistic in there, the more expensive a shoe is, the more likely you are to be injured. A direct correlation. Naturally, that doesn't prove causation in and of itself, but it's something to think about.

Speaking anecdotally, a few years ago I was tremendously out of shape, around 270 lb. When I decided to work it off, I integrated running, despite the protestations of some cross country studs that were friends of mine. They insisted that with that much weight on my body I would be dooming myself to countless joint injuries. Luckily, I had read something about foot striking and the Pose Method. Long story short, I've been running ever since and I have yet to injure myself, despite the amount of weight I was chucking around each step.