Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vital Signs (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   PSA: Military Hearing Loss Claims (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54042)

JJ_BPK 12-16-2018 15:50

PSA: Military Hearing Loss Claims

Be Advised:

Not sure if this is the 3AM TV verity ambulance chaser or real?

Quote:

Military Hearing Loss Claims

A government contractor has agreed to pay millions of dollars after being accused of selling defective earplugs to the U.S. military. The dual-ended Combat Arms Earplugs were found to have defects that decreased their effectiveness in protecting the hearing of soldiers using the plugs. In a Department of Justice press release, acting Assistant Attorney General Chad A. Readler of the Department’s Civil Division said, “The Department of Justice is committed to protecting the men and women serving in the United States military from defective products and fraudulent conduct. Government contractors who seek to profit at the expense of our military will face appropriate consequences.”

If you were active in any branch of the military at any time from 2003 to 2015 and suffered hearing loss, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the ear plug manufacturer. Call the Gold Shield Group at 800-959-7686 for a free, no obligation case review.

What is the Defect?

The dual-ended ear plugs were too short to be properly inserted into users’ ears. As a result, the earplugs could gradually loosen without the soldier noticing. When the ear plugs are not firmly in place, it can lead to hearing loss for some soldiers. According to the Department of Justice press release, the government also accused the manufacturer of knowing about the defect before selling the ear plugs and failing to notify the military about the problem.

What to do next

If you were active in any branch of the military (including Reserves and National Guard) at any time from 2003 to 2015 and suffered hearing loss, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the ear plug manufacturer. Call the Gold Shield Group at 800-959-7686 for a free, no obligation case review. Our call center is open 24/7, so call now.

https://goldshieldgroupllc.com/topic...VQ0VUF3azmktJU

Badger52 12-17-2018 07:23

Huh...? They issue what...?

I recognize the firm name from other adverts; sounds like ambulance chasing.

To get a piece of the $9 million, you have to sue. The original whistleblower apparently got $1.9M of that. So this Gold Shield firm, and others probably, would represent you to sue for a piece of that judgement - and of course they will get a cut.

Here's the DoJ PR release from the case they're probably citing.

JJ_BPK 12-17-2018 07:40

Figured it was a shyster deal..:munchin

BUT,, you would be wise to have a note in your med-folder stating you were issued bad plugs..

Someday you'll be looking to fill in the "reason" block when requesting the VA to rate your hearing loss :mad:

miclo18d 12-17-2018 11:24

You’ve got to be kidding me. Those were the best earplugs ever! One side was baffled so you could hear and then they shut when there was overpressure. The other side like regular army earplugs, for constant noise environments, like helicopter rides.

I wore those in lieu of the Peltors because the Peltors crushed my skull under the helmet while wearing for long periods of time.

<Facepalm>

Maybe I should sue Peltorfor any headaches I get.

Badger52 12-17-2018 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by miclo18d (Post 648360)
You’ve got to be kidding me. Those were the best earplugs ever!

One man's plug is another man's cigarette butt...
:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by miclo18d (Post 648360)
<Facepalm>

Maybe I should sue Peltorfor any headaches I get.

This just in...

"Were you forced to wear Peltors because of inadequate or defective ear plugs issued to the US military? If you, or a loved one, suffered, or are currently suffering from, chronic headaches from being forced to wear these uncomfortable protective devices, Call The Gold Shield Group Hotline number on your screen NOW!"

I do like the carillon at the church on the other side of town around these holiday times at night; sure wish the rest of the bells would go away though when the Christmas carol is over. I don't think lawyers can help with that. [/FOG] Ah, what the heck. Merry Christmas anyway.
:cool:

PSM 12-17-2018 17:28

Quote:

...too short to be properly inserted into users’ ears.
And how many users actually properly insert them into their ears. I use flanged earplugs with my rifles and I read the instructions. I wet them, reach over my head with the arm opposite the ear, pull the ear up, and insert them deeply. I have never seen anyone else do that. And the foam ones are supposed to be squeezed and rolled before insertion. I mostly see people just push them in with no prep. Self inflicted wounds.

Badger52 12-17-2018 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSM (Post 648364)
And how many users actually properly insert them into their ears. I use flanged earplugs with my rifles and I read the instructions. I wet them, reach over my head with the arm opposite the ear, and insert them deeply. I have never seen anyone else do that. And the foam ones are supposed to be squeezed and rolled before insertion. I mostly see people just push them in with no prep. Self inflicted wounds.

I use flanged ones just as you do amd was taught that. not in BCT but later actually by a medic; and actually my favorites are the foam ones, rolled properly beforehand when they set it is like peace in the world. Still use 'em.

Lots of non-firearm related environments, chronic exposures hours long x years, have probably also made a mess of many veterans' hearing. Think signal vans, RATT rigs etc. Hell, even the mainframe comm floor in the Pentagon was an audiologist's nightmare with mainframes, disk drives the size of washing machines, and 20 point-to-point TTY's and their crypto clacking away. And massive HVAC.

Anyway, to the original thread... if I wanted assistance doing anything like that I'm fortunate to have a county VSO that truly has their shit so together it's like having a free lawyer (and not often one can put those two words together into the same sentence).
:cool:

7624U 12-17-2018 22:04

1 Attachment(s)
I already have two hearing aids from the Army to late :p
mine was from a IED that went off point blank, when we only had the single ear cup boom mic setup.

tom kelly 12-19-2018 16:47

Noise, Decibels, Exposure Time= Hearing Loss:

Noise is measured in decibels, 0 to 185 dB. You can look up the chart on Google. Normal conversation is @ 60 dB, and Gunfire ranges from 140 dB for small cal. Pistol to 168 for the M-16 and up to 175dB. For a howitzer cannon, also, the length of time you are exposed to dB. Noise above 85 dB the threshold for damage to your hearing. The higher the number of dB. The shorter the exposure time. e.g., Firing a .50 cal. BMG the time limit before the hearing is damaged is @ 7 to 10 seconds. Firing a 20 round mag. of 5.56 without hearing protection should be adequate to sustain some damage to ones hearing. tom kelly