Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Europe (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Paris- Louvre knife attack (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52049)

Divemaster 02-03-2017 04:08

Paris- Louvre knife attack

Seeing this on BBC

French soldier wins when an Islamist brings a knife to a gun fight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38853841

A man shouting "Allahu Akbar" is reported to have tried to attack the soldier with a knife and was seriously injured when the soldier responded.

The attacker is said to have been trying to enter the museum's underground shop.
A big security operation is under way and the interior ministry has described the situation as "serious".
The Louvre has been evacuated.
Details of the incident are still emerging. A French police spokesman said the attacker shouted "Allahu Akbar" - God is great in Arabic - but was not carrying explosives.
Reports say the attacker was carrying one, possibly two suitcases.
Another says he wore a rucksack and carried a machete.

LarryW 02-03-2017 16:12

Glad they shot the POS. But, five rounds fired and the guy is still alive...?

The Reaper 02-03-2017 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryW (Post 623598)

They were Phrench rounds, probably non-lethal.

TR

cbtengr 02-03-2017 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryW (Post 623598)

The important thing is that he was stopped, it only takes one armed individual to make a difference in this fight whether he is a soldier, policeman or the neighbor down the street. These incidents only strengthen our argument to keep these individuals out of our country.

Ret10Echo 02-03-2017 17:35

Egyptian

Obtained Tourist Visa in Dubai

Checking the list....

Iraq...
Iran. ...
Syria. ...
Yemen. ...
Sudan. ...
Somalia. ...
Libya....

:munchin

tonyz 02-03-2017 17:36

A very recent "immigrant..."

"French authorities say they believe the man who tried to attack the Louvre museum in the capital Paris on Friday was a 29-year-old Egyptian man.

Prosecutor Francois Molins said he is thought to have travelled to Paris from Dubai on a tourist visa last month."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38863431

Old Dog New Trick 02-03-2017 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyz (Post 623604)
A very recent "immigrant..."

"French authorities say they believe the man who tried to attack the Louvre museum in the capital Paris on Friday was a 29-year-old Egyptian man.

Prosecutor Francois Molins said he is thought to have travelled to Paris from Dubai on a tourist visa last month."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38863431

Yuz guys ar being so hypocritical of da President's UN-constitutional Executive Privilege!

mojaveman 02-03-2017 21:36

Quote:

French soldier wins when an Islamist brings a knife to a gun fight.
The French military is everywhere in that city now. Was in Paris a few summers ago and there were fire teams of French Paratroopers walking through the crowds at the base of the Eiffel Tower carrying sub machine guns. Good on them.

Team Sergeant 02-04-2017 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojaveman (Post 623630)
The French military is everywhere in that city now. Was in Paris a few summers ago and there were fire teams of French Paratroopers walking through the crowds at the base of the Eiffel Tower carrying sub machine guns. Good on them.

Here in Arizona the local citizens do that............ and we don't have a "Allahu Snackbar" problem..........

Sdiver 02-04-2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 623599)
They were Phrench rounds, probably non-lethal.

TR

Ahhhh ... 9mm.

frostfire 02-04-2017 12:22

I saw pictures of French paratroopers all over Paris. While it may freak out snowflakes and give impression of security to the uninitiated and may deter the non-true-believer, I don't think the hardcore jihadist are discouraged at all. If anything else, we had seen news of soldiers being hacked in France while on these patrols. The jihadists can also take and use their weapon with elements of surprise and misdirection. May not be 100% apple to apple, but case in point is the 6-men Marine sniper team who got ambushed and weapons stolen in Iraq.

So I prefer this approach:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 623637)
Here in Arizona the local citizens do that............ and we don't have a "Allahu Snackbar" problem..........

Jihadist yelling for the snackbar and suddenly bam bam bam bam bam, harmless-pious-looking Mary Jane Sue at his 7 o'clock just created several artificial orifices and facilitated exsanguination.

Flagg 02-04-2017 16:46

Paper, scissors, rock, knife, FAMAS

Team Sergeant 02-06-2017 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdiver (Post 623638)
Ahhhh ... 9mm.

Yeah.

9mm = .45 set to stun

Airbornelawyer 02-06-2017 17:31

I haven't seen any troops carrying submachineguns, though some of the police are. The French soldiers all seem to have their standard bullpup FAMAS in 5.56 NATO. I don't have much of an opinion on the rifle, but French soldiers and Foreign Legionnaires I've talked to seem to like it. Still, maybe more fuel for the discussion over the stopping power of 5.56 at close ranges.

Given that they were operating in one of the two or three most tourist-heavy parts of the most tourist-heavy city in the world, I expect that the soldiers have fairly restrictive ROEs. So, five shots, including a gut shot, to take down a machete-wielding attacker without risking any nearby civilians is not too unreasonable, though there's certainly room for improvement. I've seen dashboard video of a police officer emptying his magazine into a gun-wielding suspect in a parked car, only for the suspect to then climb out of the passenger side window and run away; that was pretty embarassing.

The Reaper 02-06-2017 21:28

Most people have a Hollywood fantasy about how bullet resistant a car might be.

Having shot a few over the years, I would say that some parts are cover and others are just concealment, and that is further affected by the weapon and ammo being fired into it.

Don't expect too much in the way of auto body penetration with most handgun rounds.

TR