Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Base Camp (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MACV-SOG Roll Call (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792)

hurly 02-22-2005 12:33

7th Grp Doc

Because obviously we is the BEST! ;) :p

Doc 02-22-2005 19:03

hurly

Welcome Aboard!

Doc

NousDefionsDoc 02-22-2005 19:35

Indeed

TerribleTobyt 02-25-2005 07:38

I was gonna post 'bout Dr Jeffrey MacDonald being the 7th Gp Surgeon, but- nah, I'll jes leave that alone!!!!!!!!

Toby-headin for the 5th Gp Medic bunker ovah heah, Boss!!!!!!!! :p

Roguish Lawyer 06-04-2007 13:55

Time to resurrect this thread. I know we have a lot more SOG vets here now . . . :munchin

QRQ 30 06-04-2007 14:00

Waddyawant?

I'm still here.

aka Whale.

Roguish Lawyer 06-04-2007 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Waddyawant?

I'm still here.

aka Whale.

LOL, good to hear from you, T!

MFFI115 06-04-2007 16:09

Me too

CCS '69-'70 1st Exploitation Company & RT Nail
CCC 06/1970 - 12/1970 RT Alabama

The avatar pic is of RT Alabama at CCC; Fred (Jim) Morse, Al Waggle, and me.

Richard 06-04-2007 16:20

Bullseye Banner MLT-2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer33
The attached lists almost all of the RT's from CCN circa 71.

This is a 6 X 6-foot canvas tarp with a bulls eye painted in the center and “Bullseye” (flight call sign for CCN) written above it. This hung in the flight crews ready room of the MLT-2 compound at Quang Tri.

In October of 1971 there was a farewell gathering for CWO Gary Yates, B/158 AHB/101st ABD. The Bullseye Flight Insignia was signed by many of the recon team leaders and members, and then given to CW2 Yates along with a CCN plaque thanking him for his service to SF. Some team members wrote comments which had special meaning based on a particular mission or just reflecting the attitude of the RTs.

RT Team: Names: Statements:
Habu
L. D. McGlathern “The Lord giveth and Habu’s CAR-15’s taketh away”
Robert E. Cook
Richard D. Brackhausen

Habu
Nicholas Von Brakhousen “Baron 1st Class”

Intruder
SSG Risto Cherman
Sgt. Fraile

Cobra
William J. Kiempe “To Stump”
Ronald Davidson
Guy Wagy “ To the Chopper Jockey who busted my cherry”
Bac-si Malone

Rattler
Sgt. Bieber

Louisiana
John Levister
Ray Frovarp
Ed Weatford

Python
Sgt. Jim Baldwin

Idaho
Castillo
Pully

New Jersey
Sgt Don F. Murphy
Sgt. John H. Waters
Sgt. Tom B. Arbett

Kansas
George Cohrell
Mark Mcpherson

Virginia
Colin L. Chaffee

Sidewinder
Sgt. Sparling
Sgt. Laurent

Michigan
Bob Bolyon
Jean Shanky

Connecticut
J. Clegg

Mamba
Roger Pope
Mark Pollock

ASP
Sgt. Jim J. Thompson
Bill Quean

Adder
William S. Casa
Ronald C. Fletcher

Bushmaster
Eldon A. Bargewell
Jean Paul Castagna
Glenn A. Baggeth

Halo TM#3
Jim “Tub” Bath (JD)

Covey ML-2
Dave “Big Indian” Cheney

Georgia
(Jimmie) Johnson

Krait
Hendrick “Mud Hole” Waters

North Carolina
Ray Robinson

Moccasin
Johnny W. Elia
Steve Grish

Mississippi
Sgt. Folbre
Sgt. Page

Oklahoma
“Fast Eddie” Anderson
“No Spleen” Ross
Jim Kiehne “Doc”

C. Kennedy “Covey Dude”

“Hostile Man”

Connecticut Class & Deboner from 3 tight ass’s
Quang Tri BDA
SSG A. B. Smith
Sgt. “Twitch” Twidell
Sgt. “Snow Mobile” Bradow

Crusader
Injun Adams
Reese (Pee Wee)

incommin 06-04-2007 17:05

Recondo (Recon Team Leader Course) Sept 1968. Was the 1-1 and then the 1-0 on RT Nail, CCS. RTLC was the only military training course I attended where students were sometimes lost to enemy action while in training.

Funny thing. I felt safer on operations they I did in our compound. And I have always felt that the SF guys stuck out in little camps and pushing CIDG or a Mike company had it much worse than I did!

Jim

FearMonkey 06-04-2007 17:16

I feel safe in saying there's not a man alive that wears a Green Beret atop their head who feels like they'll ever be able to truly meet the standard set by SOG. All I can say is, wow. It's an honor.

QRQ 30 06-04-2007 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearMonkey
I feel safe in saying there's not a man alive that wears a Green Beret atop their head who feels like they'll ever be able to truly meet the standard set by SOG. All I can say is, wow. It's an honor.

In don't know how to take that. We all went through the same training and most of us spent one year in SOG and many years in other assignments. All SF -- All the Way!!

iamsf2@blogspot.com

Roycroft201 06-04-2007 21:20

My former husband served at Duc Pho with the 174th AHC, (the Sharks and Dolphins), 1969 - 70, a crew chief and door gunner with the Sharks.

After I met him years later and were married ( I was a child bride, of course, LOL, :) ) he would occasionally speak about his experiences there, but not often.

More recently when I started reading about the history of MACV-SOG, in Major Plaster's books, and on this thread and others, suddenly remembering my ex- husband's words about flying into a hot LZ took on a whole new meaning for me.

As always, it is an honor to be a guest in your house.

Thank you to all the incredible MACV-SOG vets.

(Many of you are probably aware that the 174th has a very interesting web site.....www dot 174ahc dot org. On it's homepage is a great pic of the art work on the nose of the Sharks. It is right below the paragraph that starts with "Below: "Sharks on standby at the Gia Vuc Special Forces Camp........." )

Roycroft201

incommin 06-05-2007 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30
In don't know how to take that. We all went through the same training and most of us spent one year in SOG and many years in other assignments. All SF -- All the Way!!

iamsf2@blogspot.com

You got that right! But there are some out there that think their one or two years in SOG allows them to 'look down" on other SF'er! SOG was just another assignment for crying out loud!

Jim

QRQ 30 06-05-2007 07:32

When I reported to Nha Trang I really knew nothing about SOG. It was a word you occasionally heard whispered in the dark corners of the Club. I was assigned to Command and Control Detachment, North. I was disappointed since I really didn't want to spend my time in a COMCEN in some HQ unit. As things turned out, I got more than I bargained for.:D In the old days we really did some Studying and observing. How many of y'all remember bring back little bottles or baggies with soil samples?

SOG is a little word for a big organization including all four services. OTOH when people hear SOG they thnk of our Recon peograms.

SOG was great because of Special Forces which was great long before SOG and still is, after SOG.:lifter

vnrecon 06-06-2007 08:26

" All Right, Call The Roll "

I guess I might as well put my $.02 in here as a check in before this thread disappears. Not that anyone would be interested in what I have to say.

Didn't make SOAR last year but had gotten my 20 the year pin before.

Got to see you Toby, " 'rwt bkk," Lurch" and " Ambush Master " also.

Thought " Richard " might have been " Nick " (Habu, Crusader) from CCN Recon but I guess it wasn't.

Hey " Roguish Lawyer " thanks for the Avatar as I probably couldn't have gotten it in place anyway.

Terry, I'm still working on that application, " My Bad " on "Spike Team Bear,"
CCS if I'm not mistaken but I'm only familiar with implement and weather names i.e. as with " The Bus, "( RT Plane) and weather names also.

QRQ 30 06-06-2007 09:54

Soss" It was at Khe Sahn - FOB-3.
Keep steady on the app, several are now pulling for you.

rwt_bkk 06-14-2007 18:00

welcome aboard Vnrecon. Well guys us old guys can at least still type..!

So a question, how many of you guys are actually writing or have written a book?

Just curious, been working on mine for about 2 years now (actually about 3 weeks out of 2 years).

dblevins 07-27-2007 10:06

B52 and CCC 70/71

I was with a medic with B52 for part of their last mission out of Mai Loc. Was transferred to CCC since B52 was being disbanded. Was at CCC from late 1970 to Feb 1971. Mostly flying to Dak To every other day to support the recon teams. Got out of the military and returned to IBM (San Jose) when I returned to the states. Went into a "decompression" mode for the next 10 years or so. Am now retired and living in Oakhurst near Yosemite with my two Cocker Spaniels.

Merlyn 09-21-2007 16:39

Working on a Book

Hey, Bru. I'm working on a book. The agent to work with is a guy in NY who helped Bob Mayer along.

Mayer was in S. America with SF and is now a full-time professional writer.

Christophe 02-13-2008 06:18

Gentlemen,

please keep us informed on your upcoming books.
I am sure ALL of us here would love to read them.

Respectfully,

Chris.

JSE 02-16-2008 20:54

Thanks to RL for starting this thread; I feel that I'm in the presence of greatness after seeing so many SOG vets post in this thread...

Like RL, I too am a MACV-SOG enthusiast and self-proclaimed historian of sorts. About five years back, I began writing a historical-fictional story about a young man who volunteers for SOG and runs recon out of CCC beginning in 1969. As it sits now, my work is a scratch over 200 pages in Word and is still not yet finished. I've also had the humbling pleasure to have had several SOG vets read it, some of whom I included in my writing: Lee Burkins, John S. Meyer, Joseph Parnar, Tom Waskovich, and Frank Greco. I have received very high praise from these admirable men and truly appreciate their help and guidance.

If any of you who served in SOG would like, I can pass along their contact information to you if you haven't heard from them in a while. I know most of them attend the SOA Reunions each year.

VNRecon, I have also spoken with Richard "Nick" Brokhausen via email and can put you in contact with him if you'd like.

My hat is off to those of you who served in SOG. I'm very humbled to be in your presence, even if it is only the internet. :D

Jason

JMI 02-16-2008 21:22

Gentlemen,

What would it take for the SOG gentlemen to follow through on the books you have started? I, too, am a SOG enthusiast and will be willing to bet 100% of this board is as well.

Before I get back in my lane, understand that you are the very men many of us would like more writing from, just as those before you could have shared about WWI, WWII, and Korea.

Damn few.

crabofwar 02-25-2008 16:18

Lazy, I copied from my intro.

Hi all,
I'm Parker, and live in Virginia. I was only in the Army for 3 years. Two with SF. My tour in Vietnam was six months at B-42 in Chau Doc as admin officer. Second 6 months with C&C Fob 2, in Kontum. On paper I was company commander of a Yard company, and maybe for a very brief time the senior American at the Yard camp out of town.
I went out with a ST a couple times, then went to HF for most of the rest. I never did anything exciting or brave (stupid, yes.). But, am very proud to have been with SF and SOG.
In the field, I was bombed by US planes twice. Strafed by 50 cal from our Vietnamese navy once (during Tet). And minor hit from M-79 our point man used in hammer anvil "exercise". Got minor equipment damage from one of the Yards in my squad, when he chucked a grenade over my head. Damn near fragged by a friend behind the Yard camp, where he was practicing silently releasing grenade spoon. ( It was raining, and grenade slipped.)
Enemy only tried to get me twice. But, they were more successful. Grenade frags while I was going to R&R through Da Nang. They hit the HQ the night I was there, so I spent R&R on the USS Sanctuary.

vnrecon 02-25-2008 21:43

Yeah, just checking in after ages

Good to hear from all you old SOG guys and all others. Thought I better check in hear as I suppose everyone has thought I had died.
Thanks for the reply to my pms from ODA 226 ( on the matter of Franz Shoaf, I gather they may have located Steve Troxel of RT Hawaii, CCC Recon ) and from dblevins.
By the way BRU is your book finished yet?
What's the latest with you Ambush Master?
Once again, thanks for the avatar, Roguish Lawyer, your help was greatly appreciated as I would have been to stupid to get it where it should have been.
Always good to hear from you CPTAUSRET ( you were the first one to welcome me on this site ) and good to hear you hear as always TOBY, ( The old Joe Walker hand from RT California. )
Sorry to hear of the passing of Robin Moore as he had problems and I literally had to put my ear against his mouth to hear him speak, he could only whisper, and had to hop, step and jump to get himself going with a cane several years ago, at an SF Convention, but loved his stories about he and " The Duke," John Wayne, as he spent 3 months at " The Duke's " bedside before he passed on.
Very sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Boggs, a great CCN Recon man, ( not the Bill Boggs that was on the same team as John Walton, of the well known Walmart Family, who also ran recon out of CCN.
Please send our old SOG wishes to those others ailing, although, I don't believe I don't want to list them here, as they may not want that.
Yeah, Terry, I'm still working on that application!!! and hope to complete that shortly.
To all others on this site, please feel free to pm me no matter who you are as I always appreciate the latest commo.

What can I say, " The Memories Were Brief, But The Moments Were Lasting; In The Late 1960's And Early 1970's, SOG Recon Was Definately Life In The World's Fast Lane. "

Take care,

alright4u 03-25-2008 07:31

RE: SOG

Volunteered for C&C ( FOB 2) June12, 68. Ended up at BMTE. Told a new C&C was being started & would be in on ground floor. FOB 2 took a Captain with far more experience then I had. I never blamed them. I needed to learn. I do not recall any recon course from mid 68-mid 69. Had an HF company with great NCO's, then went to launch site, then to 3 shop. I do not think anyone can say SOG was better then all. Had friends in II Corps Mike Force, who were every bit as good or better then I was. Do not know any war stories I want to share.

Like any job in SF, it was teamwork that got men in and out. From the S-2 briefing on target area, to the VR, to men on the launch sites, from the SF launch site NCOIC who bootlegged Freqs, to the pilots and crew and man riding with FAC, it took a team effort. I do recall we had a 10 school running local OPS when I got back in mid April 69. Or so I was told. A few went to MACV RECONDO school, but; most was OJT with senior NCO's having the real experience who trained all.

gagners 03-27-2008 11:36

Gents-

I mentioned in another thread a few months back that I was fortunate to meet more than a few SOG warriors at a veteran's meet-up while underway on the Carnival Valor.

After listening to some of the stories and reading Plaster's books, I cannot convey what a priveldge it is to have the opportunity to say "thank you".

You inspired the generation of warriors that continues to inspire mine. Again, thank you.

QRQ 30 04-30-2008 14:10

Tm Cutlass

1 Attachment(s)
See! There really was a Tm Cutlass as well as Saber. We were so secret we had to kill anyone who knew what we were up tp.:D Sam Sanford who was the project commander found this picture and sent it to me. I designed the patch which was an adaption of the SOG crest.

rwt_bkk 05-16-2008 23:19

Belated reply to all that asked. Yes still working on the book. In the edit mode, actually wrote it already. Now trying to make it sound like I at least graduated HS...

I am doing mine as a novel for several reasons. One of the main ones is that I wanted to include the scope of mission scenarios besides my own. I have included my missions in there and added a few more mainly based on conversations with other recon guys in the club.

I also am thinking about have the character stay in SF a lot longer than I did and have a series that will take him into a more modern SF with an emphasis on special operations.

At least that is my "thinking" time is another factor that always seems to get in the way when translating into action.

TerribleTobyt 05-18-2008 23:48

Good stuff here, y'all!! :)

Fletcher's son 06-21-2008 01:12

Ron fletcher

My name is mathew fletcher, son of the late ronald c. fletcher. dad was at ccn in '71 i know because of his acm with v device award letter. most of the paperwork states only "earned while in enemy occupied and denied territory"
Dad was 1-1, 1-2 of rt adder i believe. i found an rt adder patch along with his lucky boonie hat. and he once told me he was 1-1, 1-2 of his rt . at his funeral the acting commander of the fifth group and 3 other fine soldiers paid their last respects and saluted him and gave him his hat for his last mission. they gave me their unit coin and i sent them bacak to ft campbell with a thank you card and some travel money. dad gave them by way of me a cigar and three cases of beer. they included me in their final toast to a fellow warrior. I felt incredibly privileged. I have done alot of research in a short amount of time. and you guys....your'e the men that other guys want to be like. truly some bad mother fxxxxx. Does anyone remember my father. i know only two names he spoke regularly. don "sluggo" murphy and fred "lightning" wunderlich. iv'e spoken with don. emailed fred in thailand. no response. mathewfletcher@yahoo.com
Courage, honor and Bravery are as everyday to you gentlemen as clocking in for work. i feel as though im in the presence of gods when i talk to or stand next to you gentlemen.

rwt_bkk 06-27-2008 22:15

Matthew, thank you for your kind words, always remember that your father was one of us.

Honor and Steel
Bru

Fletcher's son 07-01-2008 06:17

How could I forget. He was the greatest man I ever knew. I tell people where and when he served and they react like its no big thing. after finishing stolen valor and secret commandos by john plaster it all takes on a new meaning for me. I never knew that as a culture we are so ignorant of what our soldiers give to be in service to our country. I spoke with Jim Hetrick, president SOA. He told me a man by the name of Hardy was writing a series of books on every team in ccn. He asked if i minded if he gave him my number for some photos for the book on rt adder. Pops may be immortalized in print. Dad liked a book titled "break contact, continue mission". As i said, I've read one of Plaster's books and have another on order. Any other reading suggestions?

Richard 07-01-2008 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher's son (Post 214927)
Any other reading suggestions?

Running Recon by Frank Greco; SOG: Team History and Insignia of a Clandestine Army by Jason Hardy and Michael Tucker--covers RTs Montana, Asp, Hawaii, Indigo, Idaho, Colorado, and Rattler.

Gutes lesen! :o

Richard

Fletcher's son 07-03-2008 13:42

Thank you very much. I will be knee deep in pages for a few weeks now. Reading Stolen Valor currently. It's somewhat amazing to me that when you stray from the drivel and literary diarrhea that some college history classes declare required reading, their confusingly angled "history", becomes a touch clearer. I never knew that, even having a special forces soldier for a dad, I was so ignorant.

shortrnd 07-26-2008 06:31

i just spent the last hour or so reading this section. amazing stuff. thanks to all of you.

BMT (RIP) 08-01-2008 11:39

http://www.macvsog.cc/1971.htm#1971h.../1971.htm#1971

BMT

122418b 08-06-2008 23:00

You gentlemen have my greatest respect.

akunochi 08-07-2008 07:19

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I was privileged to have two former MACV-SOG operators as instructors in the 18C course. These two gentlemen that I'm sure some of you know are just beyond impressive with their knowledge, but also good for a laugh. Just wanted to say thanks.

glebo 08-07-2008 10:34

Speakin' of SOG

Do any of you old timers remember my father in law, James Farley?? He's got a MAC-V SOG plaque with his name on it in his collection. He retired in 70-71. He was over there in the very early years also. He talks mostly about Than-Phu (sp?) and a couple of other places I can't remember/pronounce. I think most of his time was down south around the delta.

thanks.