Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Ugly sleep habits. (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3755)

Brushmonkey 10-04-2004 11:04

Ugly sleep habits.

Snoring, talking in your sleep, and any other unwanted side affects of sleep. Have you experience them? In the field or otherwise; how were these issues delt with? Did you?

The Reaper 10-04-2004 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushmonkey
Snoring, talking in your sleep, and any other unwanted side affects of sleep. Have you experience them? In the field or otherwise; how were these issues delt with? Did you?

I do not do either, but have had to wake up more than a few guys who were getting too loud sleeping while we were tactical. Usually rolling the snorers over face down and/or muffling them helped.

TR

NousDefionsDoc 10-04-2004 11:29

Irregular hours. I sleep from 0200-0545, then from 0610 to about 0900.

The Reaper 10-04-2004 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

Still getting up for Stand-to? :D

TR

NousDefionsDoc 10-04-2004 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Still getting up for Stand-to? :D

TR

LOL - Junior Medic has Common Tasks Training. Trans departs at 0600. CTT is on his training schedule for the next 11 years.

Kyobanim 10-04-2004 12:21

Not active duty anymore but . . .

In the last couple years I developed a loud snoring problem accompanied with honking sounds from my nasal cavity. Problem rectified with those tape things that go on the top of your nose. Problem compounded by age and abnormally large nose.

NousDefionsDoc 10-04-2004 12:28

LOL - I had a Team Sergeant once that snored so bad we bought him one of those battery-powered things that gives a little shock to raise conscience level. It never phased him. We used to race to bed trying to get to sleep before the TS came in. So the shocker thing isn't working and nobody can sleep. Big Head the Commo dude gets up and gtrabs it off the TS and heads outside:

"Where ya goin'?"

"Gonna go figure out a way to rig this thing to a deuce and half battery. If it won't wake him up, maybe it'll electrocute his ass."

LOL

Brushmonkey 10-04-2004 15:35

Quote:

Same here, I hit the rack anywhere between 2300 and 0100, wake up around 0300 then take 15 minute naps till my alarm goes off.
This'll go on for about 6 weeks or so, then one day I'll have a crash where I sleep for 12 hours or so. Usually a 3 hour nap in the afternoon then a full night's worth of sleep, 9 hours or so.

The Reaper 10-04-2004 15:50

Quote:

LOL - I had a Team Sergeant once that snored so bad we bought him one of those battery-powered things that gives a little shock to raise conscience level. It never phased him. We used to race to bed trying to get to sleep before the TS came in. So the shocker thing isn't working and nobody can sleep. Big Head the Commo dude gets up and gtrabs it off the TS and heads outside:

"Where ya goin'?"

"Gonna go figure out a way to rig this thing to a deuce and half battery. If it won't wake him up, maybe it'll electrocute his ass."

LOL

Big Head!! Good Commo Dude!

TR

DanUCSB 10-04-2004 21:53

I'm a snorer. Usually all it would take, though, is to roll my over (face down seems t o eliminate it) or a couple boots to the head; either works, neither bothers, and choice seems to depend on assholishness of guy on shift previous. :D

Guy 10-05-2004 02:07

I'm so in tune w/these habits...I use them to my advantage. ;)

0110hrs now...sitting up reading SOG. :lifter I'll crash for about two hours then hit the air-pistol range out doors.

Ambush Master 10-05-2004 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushmonkey

In the AO we operated in, a snorer would get you killed or a lot of exercise running till you got away !!! If they snored, they wore their Gas Mask all night !!! Cant't get enough air through one of them to even think about Snoring !! :D

brownapple 10-05-2004 07:48

I'm a snorer. Wore my gas mask when sleeping in hide positions or patrol bases.

QRQ 30 10-05-2004 09:06

I don't know if I posted this before. I was awoken by almost the whole team pulling me off of one of my "Yards". I had a death grip on his throat. It seems I had dreamt that the NVA had attacked and was over running our RON. Things had deteriorated to hand-to-hand and I was trying to kill one of them with my bare hands. We laughed about it later but it was really a very scary situation.

SOLUTION: No more green hornets! :eek:

Bravo1-3 10-05-2004 10:37

I didn't snore until 1998, and I got my face caved in and reconstructed. Now I'm going to have another surgery in the next year to unblock the restrictions behind my nose.

Usually, if someone in the platoon was snooring, we'd roll them over or have them don and clear. If we weren't tactical, then I'd apply a strategic backhand to the offending noise maker.

Squad Bay Rule #1 - Snoorers sleep on the top rack so that the non-snoorer on the bottom rack can kick them without getting out of bed. :D :lifter