Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Edged Weapons (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Green Berets top 5 Combat Knives? (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516)

Bill Harsey 04-25-2004 16:07

Green Berets top 5 Combat Knives?

June 2004 issue of Blade magazine lists the top 5 knives used by Green Beret in an article by MSG Kim Breed, 5th Special Forces (retired). 1st is the V42 Stiletto. 2nd is the KA-BAR. 3rd is Randall model No.1. 4th is the machete. 5th is Buck 110 folder. Any thoughts?

Razor 04-25-2004 16:57

I'm sure that's an accurate list...according to the MSG's experiences. I think you'll find overall that the knives are as varied as the men that carry them.

NousDefionsDoc 04-25-2004 18:55

Like Razor said, but I will reply.

What does "top five" used mean? Most? Best? Defines?

1. V42 - Only 3,423 made? 70 received by the U.S. Navy?. How does this qualify as a top 5 used? Must be talking about the one on the crest.

2. Kabar - is probably first. EVERYBODY has at least one.

3. Randall - ok

4. Machete - I doon't consider it a knife.

5. Buck 110 - Must have been before my time. I never saw an SF guy with one. Although they were very common in the farming community back home.

My picks for defines

1. Randall Model 14 maybe more than #1
2. Harsey-Reeve Yarborough. I think this will overtake the Randall in the future if they keep giving them to the graduates
3. Gerber Mark II
4. Emerson CQC7 - Don't believe me? Check pockets.
5. Brends - only SF guys on good deals can afford them

My picks for most
1. Kabar
2. Gerber Mark II
3. Emerson CQC 7
4. AF survival
5. The demo knife everybody stea...I mean borrows from the Charlies.

My picks for best
1. AF Fighter
2. Smatchet
3. SF knife
4. Smatchet
5. Emerson CQC7

My wish list
1. AF Fighter
2. Smatchet
3. Strider V42
4. Emerson CQC 6
5. A custom made FS stilletto
6. SF Knife from the museum

I think with the wish list complete, the history of combatives will be represented. Add a 1911, an ASP baton and the Leatherman I already have. Good to go.

brownapple 04-25-2004 19:41

I think NDD's lists (defines and most) are more accurate based on my experience, except that I think the Leatherman should be somewhere in the most list.

NousDefionsDoc 04-25-2004 19:45

LOL - I had the Leatherman in there and took it out. DAMN!

The Reaper 04-25-2004 19:45

Quote:

Originally posted by Greenhat
I think NDD's lists (defines and most) are more accurate based on my experience, except that I think the Leatherman should be somewhere in the most list.
Concur overall.

I would add the Gerber Mark II as I have seen a lot of them over the years, and it was one of my first.

I think that the Emerson knives are far outnumbered by Spyderco Endura and Delicas. Sal really gives a good knife for the money.

The Swiss Army knife and Leatherman also belong there.

NDD, wait till you get your hands on a New Leatherman Wave.

TR

Bill Harsey 04-25-2004 20:32

Good work mentioning the Leatherman. I was wondering about the Gerber Mark II because I grew up just 40 minutes east of the Gerber factory and knew those were delivered in big no.s to military guys during Vietnam. Also do we have any way of knowing how many original SOG knives may have been made?

Roguish Lawyer 07-20-2004 19:22

Quote:

Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
My picks for best

2. Smatchet

BLASPHEMY!

I don't know how long The People will tolerate this from their leader . . . LOL

The Reaper 07-20-2004 19:29

Quote:

Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
BLASPHEMY!

I don't know how long The People will tolerate this from their leader . . . LOL

You been asleep, or did becoming a Mod awaken dead threads you had comments on?

TR

Roguish Lawyer 07-20-2004 19:31

Quote:

Originally posted by The Reaper
You been asleep, or did becoming a Mod awaken dead threads you had comments on?

TR

LOL

Saw someone looking at it on the who's online screen and thought it was a new thread!

Jack Moroney (RIP) 07-20-2004 19:34

Have had two Randalls over the years. A model 5 since I was a pup and model 18. Both have served me well but the model 5 got pitted after some marops work in 66. Should have known better than to splash around in the surf but then what the hell do 2LTs know about anything.:D

Bill Harsey 07-20-2004 22:13

Bo Randall was the man who started the whole custom production knife shop business in the United States. To the best of my knowledge his son runs the business now and the Randall Knife shop should be considered a National Treasure. Col. Applegate wrote the book, literally, on the use of the combat knife for Bo Randall.

SERPENT5XX 07-21-2004 06:36

The most widely carried knife I have seen lately is the Spyderco Endura and the Bechmade Auto knife.
The Spyderco is a great knife for the money, but if you loose it you are not that upset and the Benchmade is often “issued” so it is not like losing your Emerson or Mission Titanium Folder.
Now days an indicator to ID a SF guy is by his folder knife with a pocket clip and a Suunto or G-Shock watch

Bill Harsey 07-21-2004 07:42

Serpent5XX, Spyderco keeps coming up in this circle of guys. I'll pass that on to the owner and founder of Spyderco, Sal Glesser. I see him several times a year. Sal puts a lot of work in his knives from what steel and heat treat to use all the way to personally overseeing product quality. He does good.

NousDefionsDoc 07-21-2004 07:51

I recently had the chance to examine the MOD (Masters of Defense) demo-type knives. A lawnmower blade with a handle IMO. They have a spike type abortion thing on them, ostensibly for making cap well in playdoughbooms.
Mr. Harsey, just a thought, but perhaps a demo knife with 18C input would be a consideration for a future project. Lord knows they could use one and they use a blade more than anybody but medics. Just a thought.