Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Arena (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Full 2018 Spring Training schedule (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53350)

tonyz 02-14-2018 16:27

Full 2018 Spring Training schedule

Complete schedule at link below.

Full 2018 Spring Training schedule: Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues begin Feb. 23
Opening Day will be Thursday, March 29 -- the earliest opening day in MLB history.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/f...-begin-feb-23/

Ret10Echo 02-15-2018 04:54

Thanks Tonyz....

It's been a pretty slow and underwhelming off-season. Not sure if anyone not the Yangkees, Sox (the Red ones) and Cubs has done a whole lot. Marlins fire-sale-reboot continues...

I am interested in seeing how the free agent standoff works itself through. I think the stat/metrics camp has reset the rising cost of players. We'll see who blinks first.

At this point the local team (Orioles) has a 2-man starting rotation :rolleyes:

rsdengler 02-15-2018 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ret10Echo (Post 640142)
Thanks Tonyz....

At this point the local team (Orioles) has a 2-man starting rotation :rolleyes:

The "O's", my local team too....LOL...maybe I can get a job this season as a "ballgirl".....P. Angelos...what a tightwad; a freakin billionaire and spends crap on his team...but he'll sue the pants off you...LOL:munchin

Hope for the best this season.....

Badger52 02-17-2018 11:52

Cubs seemed to have focused on some pitching, Gott sei dank, (couple relief prospects and some starters), including Yu Darvish. At the moment a fair portion of their coverage is of their 1B's remarks at a prayer vigil in Parkland, FL - at the high-school Rizzo graduated from.

Spring is always a chance to look at a lineup & say, "who the hell is that?"

Airbornelawyer 03-08-2018 18:47

It would have been nice to be able to go to some Spring Training games, especially with both the Nats and the Astros in West Palm. Their Spring Training complex is about three miles west of where I was born.

When I was a kid, the Braves had spring training in WPB. My brother remains a Braves fan to this day, which kind of sucks for him, given the state of that team.

It seems like the Orioles still have a 2-man rotation, since I don't think Cashner or Tillman have pitched a spring training game yet. And there is still a long list of free agents out there.

Badger52 03-08-2018 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer (Post 641113)
And there is still a long list of free agents out there.

I suspect things will really start shaking loose in the next few weeks. Cubs' spring has them 10-2 - and they've been fielding the gamut of established roster with I-Wanna-Be / "Try Not to Suck" guys. A good problem to have a bunch of talent+developing talent+too much talent. Imagine the teams who are fat in that department will start sorting some things out & other clubs will make some pickups. Not everyone will go back to A-ball and flippin' burgers 'cause there might be a robot doing that second thing.

60° temp differential between here & Mesa right now.
:rolleyes:

Ret10Echo 03-08-2018 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer (Post 641113)
It would have been nice to be able to go to some Spring Training games, especially with both the Nats and the Astros in West Palm. Their Spring Training complex is about three miles west of where I was born.

When I was a kid, the Braves had spring training in WPB. My brother remains a Braves fan to this day, which kind of sucks for him, given the state of that team.

It seems like the Orioles still have a 2-man rotation, since I don't think Cashner or Tillman have pitched a spring training game yet. And there is still a long list of free agents out there.

O's rotation is a mess still. Tillman is doing simulated games but nothing else yet. They have a large crew of corner outfielders and Rule-5 guys as well (typical) If not for the tanking Rays I'd suspect they'll be in the basement again.
No pitching so the Pen will get fried and too many 30 home run/ 125 strike out guys....

2 horse race in the AL East. Red Sox - Yankees are going to battle. Yankees are looking pretty formidable with their off-season acquisitions.

Airbornelawyer 03-09-2018 15:12

Hope springs eternal, and my hope is that Tillman, Davis and Trumbo all have bounce-back years while Jones and Machado have contract years, but another reliable starter would be nice.

How does having all these Rule-5 guys affect the Norfolk Express? I don't quite understand Rule-5, but my understanding is with these guys taking up roster spots Buck would not have the same flexibility to bring up fresh arms as he would with other potential starters/long relievers.

I do think the Yankees rotation has question marks.

Ret10Echo 03-09-2018 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer (Post 641168)
Hope springs eternal, and my hope is that Tillman, Davis and Trumbo all have bounce-back years while Jones and Machado have contract years, but another reliable starter would be nice.

How does having all these Rule-5 guys affect the Norfolk Express? I don't quite understand Rule-5, but my understanding is with these guys taking up roster spots Buck would not have the same flexibility to bring up fresh arms as he would with other potential starters/long relievers.

I do think the Yankees rotation has question marks.

Yeah, they'll soak up roster spots if they make the trip North. I think with their pen having guys with options they'll continue the tradition. If they don't get starters it will be a necessity as the bullpen gets worn down late in the season.

Still 49 down at Spring Training so it's about time for a sizeable cut to happen.