Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Library (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What Are You Reading Now...? II (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40119)

Divemaster 11-29-2012 02:23

What Are You Reading Now...? II

I love the idea of the original thread. However, after six years and over 50 pages perhaps we should start anew? Mods, if this idea sucks please place this thread in the hall along with my ruck.

What I'm reading now:
The Fall of the Roman Empire, A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather. Excellent, but not a bedtime read. Pinheads like me gotta focus on weighty material like this while wide awake. Working my way through this as I have time. It seems the thesis concerns Rome not falling under its own exesss but that the "barbarians" might have been better than history has given credit. Also, it seems "too big to fail" might have been tested a long time ago.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell- still reading this (bedtime read) and having some issues with mindset. Not picking a fight with my amphibious bretheren, but I see a definite difference in how we think. During SFQC we were never told we were invincible. I have yet to reach the final tragic battle but I have nothing but respect for those who paid the ulitmate price for us. Also, I understand Marcus is doing great work with his foundation. I applaud that and we have made a contribution.

What are you reading?

MR2 11-29-2012 08:15

Conrad, Joseph - Heart of Darkness read by Michael M. Thompson (1902).

I'm having a difficult time getting through this. It is such a buffet of descriptive adjectives, adverbs, and nouns that I find myself constantly re-listening to the various chapters. The first chapter alone is a Thanksgiving harvest. I now have a greater understanding of what the movie Apocalypse Now was all about.

44025 11-30-2012 02:26

Steppen wolf. by Herman Hess. I highly recommend this book, as well as any other Hess literature.

levinj 11-30-2012 07:18

The Jack Aubrey series, by Patrick O'Brien.

The most powerful fiction I've ever read - O'Brien's characterizations are the best I've ever seen, and I think his understated prose is absolutely delightful.

Sigaba 11-30-2012 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR2 (Post 476501)
I now have a greater understanding of what the movie Apocalypse Now was all about.

If you've not already seen it, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalypse (1991) may be of interest to you. (Maybe just do not watch it with anything nearby that you might throw at your television; FFC offers some, ah, controversial opinions.)

Richard 11-30-2012 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR2 (Post 476501)
Conrad, Joseph - Heart of Darkness read by Michael M. Thompson (1902). I'm having a difficult time getting through this.

I kept hearing the "Clutch Cargo" theme in my head when I had to read that book in high school and again in college. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ExD2DQMes

Currently enjoying Leon Hale's wry humor in his commentaries on Texas social customs, events, and residents in his 1989 "Texas Chronicles."

Richard
:munchin

Razor 11-30-2012 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 476630)
I kept hearing the "Clutch Cargo" theme in my head when I had to read that book in high school and again in college.

Was that Conrad's draft manuscript, or the first edition? :D

charlietwo 11-30-2012 12:55

Lord of the Rings... again...

I just love how he describes the environments. Makes my brain think I'm out patrolling in various locales around the world:lifter

JSMosby 12-01-2012 07:56

Captain Alatriste

Just finished up the 3rd Captain Alatriste book by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Anyone into historical or period fiction might like these books. The first (Captain Alatriste) is a swashbuckling tale set in Madrid in the 1600s. Excellent series.

Steelhead52 12-02-2012 12:03

After just seeing the movie "Lincoln", I started reading Shelby Foote's "The Civil War: A Narrative".

zafar 12-03-2012 19:11

I'm currently reading "Counterinsurgency" by David Kilcullen and "A World Without Islam" by Graham E. Fuller. I am learning a tremendous amount from both and would highly recommend them.

Plus all my textbooks :boohoo

Fox583 12-03-2012 20:26

Ollie North

I just went and picked up Ollie North's new book Friday, he was at a book signing so i had him sign that one and another, along with a picture of him with my ODA in Iraq back in 08 the book is "Heroes Proved" so far so good. I suggest it as a must read for those who wonder what a terrorist attack in the form of suicide bombers.... basically it is modern America set in the year 2032 and.....how about you just go buy it, its great.

Gypsy 12-04-2012 18:27

Images of War, The Artist's Vision of WWII. It's not just pictures, and is a fantastic book filled with drawings, paintings and the like. Big Teddy had sent it to me, finally decided to read/go through it.

Roguish Lawyer 12-04-2012 20:40

Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

Divemaster 12-07-2012 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer (Post 477197)
Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

I just looked at the list of 48 on Wikipedia. Reads like a syllabus at politician school.