Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Deactivated SF Units (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   8th SFG Poster (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17878)

SFpanama 04-05-2008 05:38

8th SFG Poster

1 Attachment(s)
As a 8th SFG vet, I wanted to make a poster commemorating the 8th Group. I made this for my own and a few of my pals enjoyment, back in 2006. I thought that maybe some of you may enjoy it as well.
Click the link for the full size version (1881x2363, 1.27 MB).
Click the thumb for a downsized version (398x500, 173 KB).

http://www.imagebam.com/image/aa60b94639897

NousDefionsDoc 04-05-2008 09:01

That's great Brother! Excellent work. Many thanks.

QRQ 30 04-05-2008 09:24

Great! I thought you borrowed the SCUBA jump picture from my site but now remember the Group photographer gave me a set of prints.:lifter

SF_BHT 04-05-2008 22:31

Nice work on the poster.

SFpanama 04-07-2008 09:52

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks fellas. Glad you enjoyed it. Here's one of a series of posters I made with different Group flashes.

C46thVA 04-07-2008 18:43

Special Action Force

Nice work! I was wondering what the phrase "Special Action Force" meant?? Does this this pertain to a specific mission or task assigned to the Group? It sounds good anyway...

JDW

QRQ 30 04-07-2008 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by C46thVA (Post 205638)
Nice work! I was wondering what the phrase "Special Action Force" meant?? Does this this pertain to a specific mission or task assigned to the Group? It sounds good anyway...

JDW

I believe the proper name is:"Security Action Force." Each major Theater Command had one.

C46thVA 04-07-2008 19:25

ARRGH !! Failure to use search function... Moving out, drawing fire

JDW

SFpanama 04-07-2008 20:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by C46thVA (Post 205638)

JDW

According to the "Historical Supplement, Special Action Force Latin America, 8th Special Forces Group", printed by the 9th Psychological Operations Battalion and currently in my possession, the "Special Action Force Mission" was as follows:

1. To advise, train, and assist Latin American military forces in counterinsurgency activities.

2. To develop, organize, and equip, train and direct native forces in the conduct of guerrilla warfare.

3. To support the U.S. Armed Forces Southern Command contingency plans.

4. To assist Southern Command in developing plans to use the Special Action Force under varying conditions.

5. To accomplish civic action projects.

GaretTrooper 04-12-2008 22:15

That was our mission but the phrase Special Action Force (SAF) ment the Special forces Group was augmented with additional assets.
The 8th SFGA was the only SAF ever fully staffed.
We had:
A Medical Co, 355th Med I believe.
A Phycological Operations company (they also printed the SAFLAN news letter)
A Civil Affairs company
An MP company
An Aviation company but no planes
An Engineer company
An ASA company (Army Security Agency for those too young to remember)
There may have been one or two others but my memory fails me.
Perhaps SFpanama's book has some data.

Our full title was:
8th Special Forces Group Abn, Special Action Force Latin america, 1st Special Forces

SFpanama 04-13-2008 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaretTrooper (Post 206351)
That was our mission but the phrase Special Action Force (SAF) ment the Special forces Group was augmented with additional assets.

Indeed. See my previous post here:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...37&postcount=8

John

ZonieDiver 05-02-2008 13:41

Love your website!

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30 (Post 205376)
Great! I thought you borrowed the SCUBA jump picture from my site but now remember the Group photographer gave me a set of prints.:lifter

QRQ 30,

Thanks for the great website. Though my time in 8th SFG was short, my time in Panama wasn't. Great duty! I loved the picture of Cpt Abbott, from whom I took a NAUI scuba class in the Ft. Gulick pool in prep for Scuba School - which never happened due to being reassigned out of Group after deactivation.

Tom

UWOA (RIP) 02-05-2013 22:21

SAF

Quote:

Originally Posted by QRQ 30 (Post 205649)
I believe the proper name is:"Security Action Force." Each major Theater Command had one.

Yes, the manual talks about a special action force(i.e. group augmented by other non-SF units), but the sign leading into the 8th SFGA area on Fort Gulick leveraged the term into "Security Assistance Force (sic) for Latin America. I chuckled every time I saw the sign when I was driving to work from married housing on Fort Davis.

ZonieDiver 02-05-2013 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWOA (Post 488708)
Yes, the manual talks about a special action force(i.e. group augmented by other non-SF units), but the sign leading into the 8th SFGA area on Fort Gulick leveraged the term into "Security Assistance Force (sic) for Latin America. I chuckled every time I saw the sign when I was driving to work from married housing on Fort Davis.

I believe it had to do with the DTG... the "Special Action Force" became the "Security Assistance Force" at some point. It sounds more 'cuddly'!

UWOA (RIP) 02-05-2013 22:25

SAF units

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaretTrooper (Post 206351)
The 8th SFGA was the only SAF ever fully staffed.
We had:
A Medical Co, 355th Med I believe.
A Phycological Operations company (they also printed the SAFLAN news letter)
A Civil Affairs company
An MP company
An Aviation company but no planes
An Engineer company
An ASA company (Army Security Agency for those too young to remember)
There may have been one or two others but my memory fails me.
Perhaps SFpanama's book has some data.

Our full title was:
8th Special Forces Group Abn, Special Action Force Latin america, 1st Special Forces

There was also an MI unit on the second floor over the post office which was across from the parade field.