Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Survive! (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540)

Sire24657 12-03-2004 11:24

I really appreciate the advice. I will go over this with her this weekend, then go over it with my son as well.

Thanks again, TR,

Sire24657

Roguish Lawyer 12-03-2004 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Out here (in Oregon) we have a civilian helicopter called the S-64 Skycrane for ariel logging and firefighting. It has a 25,000 lb rated lift capacity.

If that's the limit, I'm taking a loaded RV. :D

Sire24657 03-16-2005 14:08

I was hoping that this interesting situation could be brought up again; it is an interesting discussion that I feel could be touched on more...

Sire24657

jbour13 03-16-2005 14:56

Nothing to add except tweezers, I have a knack of attracting little critters and splinters.

I know have another reason to spend money. Thanks for the input all.

ZoneOne 03-19-2005 15:58

A lot of good information in this thread.

My question is this...

Food.

In a survival situation as described in the "Pinelands" are you relying on having a firearm to hunt with?

If not, what are you doing for food. Are you eating game or bugs?

I'm not sure what they teach in SERE but are you tracking and trapping animals, or are you making improvised weapons such as spears or even a bow and arrow if possible.

I know everyone isn't a Tom Brown.
I'd like to hear different methods.

As always, thx

jatx 03-19-2005 16:04

ZoneOne, I guess you didn't read my thread about hiking with "friends". :D

The Reaper 03-19-2005 16:07

I asked you what you would need.

Do you need a firearm to get game?

I think that traps and snares are much more efficient, along with fishing.

A .22LR can come in handy for putting down dangerous game in traps if you need it, though a club or spear will work just as well.

You can also forage for plants and insects, if you know how.

TR

ZoneOne 03-19-2005 18:10

Quote:

ZoneOne, I guess you didn't read my thread about hiking with "friends".
:-) Good read

First thing I was told to get immediately before you go to achieve the 4 steps needed to survive is a throwing stick, something heavy enough that it could kill small game upon impact.

Once you got it, go on to make shelter, gather fire wood, food or what not and if anything runs in front of you... throw the stick at it and hopefully you can hit it and then you've gotten a free meal and didn't use much energy.

-- Q? anyone know how to flint nap?
im learning, but I've got too many cuts on my hands after wiping my legs down : :(

mfos2 03-19-2005 18:23

I'm not trying to sound like I know much about anything, but my father used to take me out camping for weeks when I was kid, and he tried to instill in my that as long as you have a blade and drinkable water, you are going to be able to get along. Those lessons have me always carrying a knife on me at all times, and a hatchet and halizone pills in my jeep.

Tom Brown has a story in one of his books about taking down a deer with a knife, it's a good story. I think it was a little harder than he wanted it to be, but he got er done.

I think for me I would want my hatchet, my old as crap case mini trapper, and something to make the water good. With that I can make shelter, make fire, make traps or bows and arrows(provided i can find some turkey feathers lying around, and drink.

Sounds like fun.

The Reaper 03-19-2005 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneOne
:-) Good read

...if anything runs in front of you... throw the stick at it and hopefully you can hit it and then you've gotten a free meal and didn't use much energy.

I have never, ever seen game taken that way. I think you will go hungry if you count on that technique. I would consider cutting a GP walking stick/spear first.

I have seen a Honduran soldier knock a flushed bird out of the air with a well-thrown rock.

TR

jatx 03-19-2005 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfos2
I think for me I would want my hatchet, my old as crap case mini trapper, and something to make the water good. With that I can make shelter, make fire, make traps or bows and arrows(provided i can find some turkey feathers lying around, and drink. Sounds like fun.

I see from your profile that you are quitting college because of the "liberals". Before you pull the trigger, you might sign up for a couple physical anthropology and archaeology courses. I had a professor at UT Austin teach me how to make a hand axe and spear thrower the "old way" over beers once, and those could prove useful in the situation you describe. The spear thrower, in particular, is deadly and very accurate when used properly. You can use your new hand axe to make one. ;)

ZoneOne 03-19-2005 18:38

Quote:

I think you will go hungry if you count on that technique.
It's not so much complete reliance on one specific technique.

But what I was told makes sense.

Taking a "throwing stick" with you when you go for water or wood to make shelter/fire makes sense in my opinion.

While I've never seen it work either, I would try it in a real survival situation.

You're idea of a spear is great but I think too much energy is being spent right off the bat to carve a spear.

Picking up a stick that you can later burn seems just plain simple to me.

Quote:

I have seen a Honduran soldier knock a flushed bird out of the air with a well-thrown rock.
I think the same idea applies to the "throwing stick" -- anyone who has been out in the woods surviving or just camping has seen a squirrel or rabbit run out in front of them. A well thrown stick could take it out, making a free meal. But like anything it would take practice or a natural born ability to throw accurately

mfos2 03-19-2005 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatx
I see from your profile that you are quitting college because of the "liberals". Before you pull the trigger, you might sign up for a couple physical anthropology and archaeology courses. I had a professor at UT Austin teach me how to make a hand axe and spear thrower the "old way" over beers once, and those could prove useful in the situation you describe. The spear thrower, in particular, is deadly and very accurate when used properly. You can use your new hand axe to make one. ;)

LOL I guess I should change that in my profile. I'm not really quitting in the give up sense of the word. I'm finishing up the semester. I wouldn't let them have all my money for nothing. I have a degree already I have just been adding to it.

By hand made axe do you refer to making one out of flint? I have made one. It looks like it was done by a retarted rabbit. Arrow head making is one of my hobbies. It's very frustrating, but if you make a nice piece it's totally worth it.

One of these days I'll be good at it. Untill them I have to live with sliced up hands and pieces of flint getting in my eyes.

M

Razor 03-21-2005 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneOne
I think the same idea applies to the "throwing stick" -- anyone who has been out in the woods surviving or just camping has seen a squirrel or rabbit run out in front of them. A well thrown stick could take it out, making a free meal. But like anything it would take practice or a natural born ability to throw accurately

Its certainly a technique. Feel free to stake your life on it; I'll focus on something else I've actually seen work, and pretty well at that.

72_Wilderness 04-14-2005 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper
What will you cut with? TR

If you have fire, from the glasses. You can burn through whatever you need to cut. Slow and primative but it works, sort of.