Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Early Bird (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Taxes (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36920)

kgoerz 02-23-2012 07:59

Taxes

I just paid my Taxes to finally not owe the IRS any more money . I also had to pay NC for the first time in my life. It was only a little over $200.00. But it was a surprise. Since I always got a refund in the past. I got over $500 back last year and nothing has changed.
Has anyone Else's usual refunds turn into a debt this year. Seems like they didn't raise taxes. But changed the laws to get more money out of us.

kgoerz 02-23-2012 08:06

My Federal was higher then usual this year. I always manage to keep it around a $2000.00 refund. But this year it was over $5000.00. Makes no sense to me.

Pete 02-23-2012 08:09

Will not find out

I will not find out until the weekend of April 14th and 15th when I work it up.

NC really wants every dime it can get.

How many toll stations do they want to put on I-95? Somewhere I saw the figure of $20 to cover the 187 miles from state line to state line. Going through VA to DC only cost $1.25 in quarters during the early 80s.

JJ_BPK 02-23-2012 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 436194)
How many toll stations do they want to put on I-95? Somewhere I saw the figure of $20 to cover the 187 miles from state line to state line. Going through VA to DC only cost $1.25 in quarters during the early 80s.

That subject Frosts My Mountain Oysters....

They use the FEDERAL road tax monies to build and maintain the interstate system, then let the state line their pockets with an additional usage tax.

:mad::mad:

It's going to be cheaper to fly 1st class via Paris, to my kids in DC than to drive....

:mad::mad:

Pete 02-23-2012 08:31

People used to.......

People used to take a vacation while on the road - "getting there is half the fun".

Then with the interstate hwy system you could jump in the car and cover more than 2 states in a day.

Could the toll fees states want to put in drive people off the hwys?

Will GPS programs and phone apps come up with "Bypass Tolls" programs where you can jump on and off I-95 and Hwy 301 to avoid the tolls.

Man, I've seen what 301 looks like when a big wreck on I-95 gets diverted to it.

1stindoor 02-23-2012 08:49

We got screwed this year on our federal taxes. Partially my fault, after I got promoted Dec of '10 I didn't change my W4...but what we ended up owing was over $2,500.00. The last time we owed money was when we got the CSRB. We were not expecting a "big" refund...but we were expecting A refund.

Badger52 02-23-2012 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgoerz (Post 436192)
Has anyone Else's usual refunds turn into a debt this year. Seems like they didn't raise taxes. But changed the laws to get more money out of us.

I'm sure it varies state to state. In my circumstance I noticed that my local property tax went up a bit, which I have no problem with because my overall state tax burden went down and money is coming back. Locally we allocate those monies toward the things we feel are locally important.

Sidebar: View in this state is coming around (slowly) to locales knowing how to do 'X' with their money better than the state. (How long the crying lasts before these locales get off their arses varies.) Acquaintance in bedroom-suburb of Madison whining because now her little ritzy burg isn't "getting any more state subsidies for trash pickup." I agreed with her that refuse removal and some other things were valuable; then asked her to explain why I should have to pay for picking up her trash 100 miles away. I then ventured that perhaps her little enclave needed to sit down & decide what's important & where they should allocate their dollars if the trough they'd been feeding at wasn't going to be as full now that some of the working stiffs in the rest of the state weren't paying for picking up the trash generated by $600,000 condos. She did not accept my offer of a consoling cup of coffee...

Shuckee-darn.
:cool:

JJ_BPK 02-23-2012 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 436196)
Will GPS programs and phone apps come up with "Bypass Tolls" programs where you can jump on and off I-95 and Hwy 301 to avoid the tolls.

Pete,

My little Tom-Tom GPS already asks if I want to avoid tolls and/or HOV lanes, that's old hat.. :munchin

And our new SUV's built-in GPS has interactive traffic warnings (via satellite) and rerouting if you have it engaged. :cool:

Gypsy 02-23-2012 18:26

My federal was higher than usual, my state was lower than usual. Shockingly I have already received my state tax refund.

cbtengr 02-23-2012 19:01

Interesting post as we have noticed a change here. We live in Iowa, and are recieving refund from the feds but for the first time we are having to pay state for the first time. We try to keep things close, makes one wonder if something that we do not know about has changed. Wife does the taxes.

Streck-Fu 02-23-2012 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy (Post 436287)
My federal was higher than usual, my state was lower than usual. Shockingly I have already received my state tax refund.

I received my Indiana refund in 4 days. I was shocked.

My Federal burden was higher this year.

PR31C 02-23-2012 20:51

Finally got my refund today. My return was accepted Feb 6, was hoping for the return in a week. Turns out this year the IRS has a new fraud audit program that slows returns which are for a higher amount. Thanks to daughter in colllege, my return was $6,000 plus, about same as last year. I did a friends return after mine, her refund $1,000+ was in her account in a week. Hope all your returns go well, for those that do not I know your pain. Most of last years refund went to pay off the previous years debt. Remember deduction can be denied, but hiding income can send you to jail.

Badger52 02-24-2012 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by PR31C (Post 436319)
Turns out this year the IRS has a new fraud audit program that slows returns which are for a higher amount.

Higher than what? Previous years that represent some baseline to a piece of software? More intel might be interesting.

BOfH 02-24-2012 09:01

Yup, for all the taxes we pay, tax fraud *was* as easy as knowing someones name and SSN. The issue is that criminals were filing fraudulent returns using valid (but stolen) identity data for large refund amounts and depositing it all in one or multiple accounts controlled by them[1][2]. The IRS has added some additional heuristic analysis[3] to return processing this year in order catch some of these scams, unfortunately the software has been known to slow down returns for early filers while the IRS tunes it[4].

[1]http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/021712-irs-dirty-dozen-256313.html
[2]http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/021012-irs-fraud-255983.html
[3]http://washingtontechnology.com/articles/2011/12/09/sas-assists-irs.aspx
[4]http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-irs-software-upgrade-to-slow-refunds-to-early-filers-20120131,0,6280155.story

PR31C 02-24-2012 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger52 (Post 436371)
Higher than what?

Sorry Turbo Tax did not provide that level of information. Which is why I put my refund amount and that a $1,000 refund was sent in one week. A quick search shows that the average 2011 refund was $2,913 so I will have to go with higher then that?? Just putting the info out there for others that maybe waiting.