Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Medical Pearls Of Wisdom (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Flu... (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53284)

Golf1echo 01-28-2018 20:49

Flu...

With all the different strains going around currently as well as school closings I'm curious what the Deltas do when they get the flu?

PRB 01-28-2018 21:03

They beotch and moan like little babies.....

InnaK 01-28-2018 21:27

Russian way to stay healthy. MANUKA honey. Ginger in Japan.

N/A

Razor 01-29-2018 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnaK (Post 639224)
When the temperature is 42C all the microbes in our body simply die.”

Well at a minimum, that would play hell with gut flora and digestion, I'd think. :rolleyes:

Box 01-29-2018 08:16

You don't have to have the flu to enjoy a well mixed hot toddy...

Take a steaming hot cup of strong green-tea...
Add a "shot" of your favorite bourbon (or Brandy)
Add a big tablespoon of fresh honey
Add a splash of lemon juice
Drop in a cinnamon stick if you want to kick it up a notch

...it makes you feel better

It may not actually "cure" the flu, but it WILL make you feel better.

rsdengler 01-29-2018 08:53

So does a nice shot of Blackberry Brandy......:p

Golf1echo 01-29-2018 11:40

CSM Thank you for the reminder that humor is a medicine unto it's own! even better when in the form eloquent sentence ( vast body of experience encapsulated into the essence).

I had forgotten my grandmother used apricot brandy in a tea toddy...

Interesting physiology, after a week out at elevation in cold temps. You begin to wonder how many took such extremes of cold for the duration they did...but looks like my immunity was unraveled after one day of shoulder to shoulder people at Outdoor Retail Snow Show :(

Hot showers and Theraflu started to help the petrified congestion in my head and started to get some better sleep. Surely there must be some better medicines.

doctom54 01-29-2018 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box (Post 639250)
You don't have to have the flu to enjoy a well mixed hot toddy...

Take a steaming hot cup of strong green-tea...
Add a "shot" of your favorite bourbon (or Brandy)
Add a big tablespoon of fresh honey
Add a splash of lemon juice
Drop in a cinnamon stick if you want to kick it up a notch

...it makes you feel better

It may not actually "cure" the flu, but it WILL make you feel better.

Pretty damn close to what I use.

If running a fever and you can tolerate it let it run. Viruses are heat sensitive and you will recover faster.

For the cough I use
1/2 cup of tea (green or black your choice)
1 oz (2 tablespoons) whiskey (again your choice)
1 tablespoon honey (local raw)
juice from a fresh squeezed lemon
NO cinnamon in mine.

I saw probably 15 confirmed cases of the flu today; and under 2 years old, over 65 yo, underlying lung disease or pregnant I use Tamiflu.

A humidifier is a great asset when the humidity is low.

Otherwise sweat it out and live longer than the virus!:)

Team Sergeant 01-29-2018 18:13

Never had a cold, never had the flu. Didn't get flu shots in the military. Now that I say that online, I'm dead....... :D

PSM 01-29-2018 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Sergeant (Post 639301)
Never had a cold, never had the flu. Didn't get flu shots in the military. Now that I say that online, I'm dead....... :D

I rarely had a cold until my wife started student teaching. The Army made me get a flu shot when I got out in late 1970 and flu season, early 1971, I got the flu so bad I thought I was going to die. Never had one since then and never had the flu. No more colds either since my wife decided she didn't want to teach the little germ factories. ;)

sfshooter 01-29-2018 20:09

On the ice water immersion it was noted in the Lewis and Clark Journals that shortly after arriving in what is now Washington state they had a member of the party get extremely sick and the couldn't move him. They waited around and figured he was going to die. The local Indians gave their 2 cents and it was followed: stuck the guy in a sweat lodge till he was incapacitated and then took him out an threw him in the cold river. After about 4 times of this the guy was much better. I think he just got damn tired of that torture and just said he felt better:D It has been some years since I read the Journals but I do recall that story from them.

Blackberry brandy, commonly used in my part of the country for snow snake medicine, kill jug drink of choice, and a little shot of warmth on a below zero day. For those that don't know what a kill jug is, it is a bottle of spirits that are carried along on a hunt and when critter has been taken the bottle is passed around, usually until empty. Don't ask me about snow snakes, I've never seen one.....:D

The last time I was really bad sick with fever and all the extras I laid around and watched tv and didn't feel like eating much. After couple of days of this I was watching a movie one night and decided I really wanted something to eat. Looked in the fridge and freezer and my eye stopped on the ice cream carton. I ate the whole half gallon in one sitting....nocked the hell out of my fever and I felt much better the next day. That was 8 years ago and haven't really been sick since so I don't know if that remedy would repeat itself.

PRB 01-29-2018 20:40

Quote:

Your visage scares off even the foulest of virus's .....

InnaK 01-30-2018 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 639246)
Well at a minimum, that would play hell with gut flora and digestion, I'd think. :rolleyes:

May be Russian gut flora and digestion is different???? It keeps me healthy. I never get sick.

rsdengler 01-30-2018 05:29

Quote:

You know, my father never, ever had a cold, the flu, or even a headache...TS, you my good man are in great company indeed.....:p

And I agree with PRB "Your visage scares off even the foulest of virus's "....virus germs must cower in terror whenever they hear the name "TS"..."No Herman you try to invade that body, I am not going there, I'm going after something easier".......LOL:D