Professional Soldiers ®

Professional Soldiers ® (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Special Forces Fieldcraft (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Boy Scouts and how it has Helped you in the military (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22744)

SF_BHT 04-10-2009 20:43

Boy Scouts and how it has Helped you in the military

On another thread we were commenting about how the Boy Scout experience had helped us in our training and careers.

I thought it would be good to find out from our fellow QP's and fellow board members some of the following.

1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc

:munchin:lifter:munchin

BoyScout 04-10-2009 22:10

If I may.

1. Yes
2. No, 4 badges away, 2 for Life, made it to Star when I hit 18. I was the troop Instructor though.
3. I have a lot of skills that come in handy in my daily, but honestly it was a major factor in me just growing up.
4. N/A
5. I was lucky enough to have a great Troop, excellent Scout Master and a lot of the values taught are instilled into me today. I use a lot of the skills that I was taught and have taught regularly. I am just a bit rusty with a compass.

SF_BHT 04-10-2009 22:32

Guess I should post..

1. I was a scout and an adult leader also
2. Eagle with 2 palms ..... Bronze & Gold
3. Every day in my life has been influenced by my scouting experiences. My Scout training helped me in SF training and many aspects of my career. It also helped me in many family things that I have done with my son and daughter. I always tell them that SF only honed my skills I learned in scouts.
4. No but it helped make that decision easier during training.
5. Every boy should have some exposure with the scouts regardless of being from the city or country. The scouts help instill core values and many skills that help young men in their life. We need all the positive influences that we can get today with our kids.

2018commo 04-11-2009 04:00

Boy Scouts

1. Yes
2. No, 1st Class but made every camp-out for 5 year.
3. I would guess the benefit of learning the challenges of leadership early in life helped the most. I suspect Phase -One was somewhat easier based on my Scout experience and my general love for the outdoors.
4. My neighbor, a Vietnam Veteran from 5th Group had me eyeballed early, I never had another aspiration.
5. My son joined in October; I am involved in the troop and now teaching new adult leaders (IOLS) in the district. Paying it back.

Snaquebite 04-11-2009 07:38

1. Yes
2. Yes, with Silver Palm. Order of te Arrow, God and Country, Wood Badge (Also in CubScouts and Webelos)
3. Organizational Skills, problem solving and accepting challenges.
4. Not really, but it did effect the way I looked at military life particularly the challenges during training.
5. Regardless of background and where you grow up, I think this is one of the best opportunities for young boys to mature and grow to face life's obstacles.

Mike792 04-11-2009 08:07

1. Yes.
2. Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow.
3. Steered me from going down the wrong road as a Teenager. Learned how to swim properly.
4. No. But developed the basis to look for, find and accept challenges.
5. I agree with everyone's comment.

Warrior-Mentor 04-11-2009 08:15

1. Yes.
2. Eagle.
3. Field craft. Knots & Lashings. Mile swim. Philmont...lots of rucking with weight there...
4. Yes. Met a Vietnam Vet who was a Ranger. Had some great discussions....
5. While other patrols were named "beaver" snake" "wolf" etc...we were the "Airborne" patrol....interestingly we had a arrowhead patch that you might find familiar... somehow, I knew even then where I was going...

Richard 04-11-2009 08:27

1. Y

2. Star - left after 2 years due to > time commitments in HS sports, 4H, FFA - sports and ag programs were > bigger than scouting in the area I grew up in.

3. Taught me many skills I've used/enhanced throughout my life - especially land nav, first aid, citizenship. My favorite merit badge was the old reptile one with the coiled rattlesnake embroidered in the circle - kinda sad they replaced it.

4. Really don't think so; never gave it much thought.

5. 3 sons - all in Cubs - 2 in Boy Scouts ( 1 Star/1 Eagle) - I still remain a part of a Troop Committe, teach Citizenship in the World, and sit on Eagle Boards.

FWIW - everyone wanted to have a Beaver patrol but our Scoutmaster, a retired Navy CPO, wouldn't allow it because he knew exactly what we were thinking...so we were the Eagle patrol. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

BigJimCalhoun 04-11-2009 08:37

Yes
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
Yes
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
I did not serve, but think it helped with maturity at an earlier age.
NA
I think it was a great organization when I was in (80s). I am not sure how it is now as I am not involved. I am thinking about becoming a merit badge counselor. My son is too young for scouts at this time.

f50lrrp 04-11-2009 15:37

etc etc etc

Yes, I was a Scout.

Yes, I was an Eagle Scout.

I used the experiences constantly while serving my Country both in the Military and as a civilian. An example is using the map and compass training that the Scouts taught me helped get me selected for the Rangers.

I think on a subliminal level it may have contributed.

I am still a Scout Leader with over 50 years affiliated as an adult and a youth. I have been honored to serve my council as the 1st Venturing Advisor in the U.S. (Crew 2000) and to be named a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow.

Remington Raidr 04-11-2009 16:03

Life Scout, continued into the Explorers.

On one weekend campout, we had a new assistant scoutmaster, tall and skinny, looked kinda like Jerry Reed if memory serves. He didn't say much and he didn't attend church, which, at the time was a big WTF, as our troop was sponsored by the parish. The dad/scoutmaster that bought him along said he had served in the Marines in the early years of the Viet Nam war.

One night, only he and I remained sitting around the campfire, everyone else had turned in. At the time, I was sure that I would enlist in some capacity. Wanting to start a conversation I asked him "if there was ONE thing you would tell someone going to the RVN what would it be?"

Now, since then, I have spoken with hundreds of vets with varying experiences and more than one bigmouthed poser. Couple questions, yeah he was never even in, done. This was not the case here.

He thought about my question for a few seconds, looked me right in the eye, and said "If you shoot them and they go down slow you got 'em, but if they drop quick you missed."

Hey, I asked.

I made for a very short but memorable conversation for this 11 year old.

Dozer523 04-11-2009 22:31

1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts?
Yes Troop 122 in Nurenberg Germnay, Troop 21in Heidelberg, Some civilian (church) affiliated troop in Colo Sprs -- can't remember it's number.
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank? I made Life. Not making Eagle is one of the few things I regret in my life.
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life?
Yes, I already knew a lot of fieldcraft. I had understood about Being Prepared and Doing a Good deed Daily. The Scout Law works everywhere anytime.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF?
I don't think it guided me toward it but it did help me stay the course.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military? I have two boys in Scouts. The "ShortStop" just made First Class The "Little Dude" is a Tiger Cub. BTW We took a little Spring Break" to Destin FL and LD got a little seperated from Mom (not too fun) He was found sitting near a dune that had a good view of the beach -- near "the last place I (he) remembered seeing Mom". When asked, he said "I remembered it from Tiger Cubs"

Oh yeah and this. The 16yo daughter brought the first official boy-friend home.
He actually defied the little princess by accepting the challenge to drop by an extended family gathering.
He can carry on a multi-sylabic conversation.
He waxed eloquent regarding the honor of being the Senior Class President and how proud he will be when he completes his Eagle Project.
I notice him in church every week and he introduced the Mom and I to his Mom and Dad after Easter Mass.

DAMN! I was so hoping the first five or six would be trolls I could frighten away!

PSM 04-11-2009 23:26

1. Yes, briefly. There was no real interest or support from boys or fathers in my town. Junior Achievement, FFA, and 4H were far more popular.

2. No

3. I joined because the troop was getting free Private Pilot Ground School. From there I got my PP ticket. After the Army I used my bennies to get my Commercial and Dispatcher's license. (Which led to meeting my future, present, and only wife, another Dispatcher.)

4. N/A

5. Probably more valuable today than ever before. Most of us FOGs learned a lot of the skills taught in Scouting from our grandparents or parents.

Pat

bravo22b 04-12-2009 06:29

Quote:

etc etc etc
1. yes
2. didn't make it very far...probably 2nd or 1st class Scout
3. it was a good introduction to fieldcraft. I don't know how much I actually took away from it, but I definitely learned that I liked being out in the field and I spent hours reading the Boy Scout Handbook learning survival skills.
4. N/A
5. My heart wasn't really in the Scouts, probably because it wasn't quite "military" enough to really keep my attention. It was, however, a good experience, and if I ever have kids, I would certainly encourage them to do it. I ended up in Civil Air Patrol, which has its faults, but there I really started to learn the skills that would help me in the Army. Land nav, rappelling, long marches, etc., plus I came into contact with a lot of veterans, as well as other like minded teenagers. I know at least one of my peers from CAP went SF (5th Group), and many more who went Marines, Rangers, and infantry.

RIP CPT Brian Faunce.

albeham 04-12-2009 07:53

1. Yes, was a Cub scout and a Boy scout, for a short time. Moved a lot due to Navy. Today I am a Cub Master. I have a Boy in scouts, advancing into WEBLOS, and a girl that is in Girl Scouts.

2. Tenderfoot, The Navy was not for me.

3. Like others. It helped me to learn field craft, giving me a good sense in the woods before the Army. But above all a connection to our country. Yes, it had and is continuing with me in my lifes Skill sets. Got into Ham Radio while in Scouts, at the age of 15, I did years as a 18E, now I am Electronic Engineer, in the RF discipline. Yes, it is a big impact in my life.

4. It helped

5. The Scouting program should be lived by every boy. Its not just fun in the woods, the outdoor life, but its the connections that are made every time a leader leads, a boy discovers. Its a great way to set the example of our love of our country and pass it on to the future leaders of our country.
Heading to Philmont Scout Ranch this Summer..Road Trip.. :munchin