PDA

View Full Version : SFAS issue compass

SS02
02-20-2006, 20:31
I need to get a new compass for my training, and would like to train with the gear I will be issued SFAS.

I think I found what I am looking for, but want check with the BTDT's to insure I am on track.

The compass is made by Cammenga, and has tritium vials. I remember having to use a flashlight to see the compass while running the land navigation course in the Marines, so I am not sure about the tritium vials.

The NSN is: 6605-01-196-6971

I Think I am on track, but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Thanks in advance

-RG

The Reaper
02-20-2006, 20:36
I need to get a new compass for my training, and would like to train with the gear I will be issued SFAS.

I think I found what I am looking for, but want check with the BTDT's to insure I am on track.

The compass is made by Cammenga, and has tritium vials. I remember having to use a flashlight to see the compass while running the land navigation course in the Marines, so I am not sure about the tritium vials.

Thanks in advance

-RG

You will be issued a GI lensatic compass.

I do not think that duplicating it is a key factor in SFAS success or failure.

TR

Daver
02-20-2006, 20:41

Thanks in advance

-RG

Find yourself a regular Army lensatic compass and not one of the fake look alikes so popular at the local surplus stores. Maybe a buddy can loan you one but it will have the tritium inside it that keeps you from having to use a light to check your azimuth. There are no tricks or special things out there that will help you out except to train hard. Don't get too wrapped up in the land nav piece but rather focus on your ruck fitness and don't even think about training in anything but the boots you'll wear in SFAS. Do tons of pull ups, push ups, rope climbs, upper body strength exercises, and run and ruck HARD! The blisters will set in soon enough there and once that happens, the course usually gets a lot harder. Good luck.

Kuri
02-20-2006, 21:23
Find yourself a regular Army lensatic compass and not one of the fake look alikes so popular at the local surplus stores. Maybe a buddy can loan you one but it will have the tritium inside it that keeps you from having to use a light to check your azimuth. There are no tricks or special things out there that will help you out except to train hard. Don't get too wrapped up in the land nav piece but rather focus on your ruck fitness and don't even think about training in anything but the boots you'll wear in SFAS. Do tons of pull ups, push ups, rope climbs, upper body strength exercises, and run and ruck HARD! The blisters will set in soon enough there and once that happens, the course usually gets a lot harder. Good luck.

Excellent info ^^^^

Tetrian
03-02-2006, 09:47
Sorry to intrude here - but since its been brought up, i have a question about the cammanga/GI tritium compass.

I've been reading a few reviews on it, and I'm also in a market for a new compass(with tritium, since im tired of flipping around with a flashlight everytime i want to operate my compass), and it seemed like a good compass but theres one thing i'm not fully clear on with it it..

In the few other tritium compasses i've seen - they simply replaced the usual fluocent markers with tritium, which is all fine and dandy, but it means you have to bring out the flashlight everytime you want to know more than where north is - As i've understood it, In the GI Tritium compasses, the whole needle box filled with tritium gas, so that you can see the mils/degrees all the way round, and thus, operate the compass entirely without an outside lightsource,

Am i correct in that assumption?

Thanks in advance,

-Tetrian.

Peregrino
03-02-2006, 11:04
The ONLY important features on a compass are the needle/card and the index line. Everything else is a convenience. Quit worrying about a convenience feature. (IOW - carry a flashlight and "recharge" the "glow-in-the-dark stuff" as required - tactically.) Tritium is a radioactive isotope with a useful half life (about 10 years IIRC). After that it gets progressively dimmer as it continues to decay (that's what radioactive isotopes do). FYI - there are compasses in the supply system that are older than any of the 18Xs on this board. Some of you will probably get them issued. No supply "person" worth its salt is going to throw a compass away just because the tritium is a little feeble. In fact - because they are important to mission, etc. they are rugged enough that running over them with a tracked vehicle will not reliably destroy them (but you can still be charged for damaging gov't equipment). The important stuff - After you get your issue and before you start land nav your cadre will give you the opportunity to check the compass for accuracy (w/i 2-3 deg E/W of Mag N at a surveyed point). Check it all the way around (360 deg) to make sure any error is consistant, log the error, and move out. If the card does not rotate freely, the error is more than 2-3 degrees, or it's half full of water from the last student's swamp crossing (the one he quit on - otherwise it probably would have had time to dry out before they issued it again) then you approach the cadre and (respectfully) DX your compass. BPT articulate your reasoning. I don't know about today but "weak tritium" didn't use to elicit sympathy.

(Standard disclaimer - this info is dated and based on my personal experience, opinions, and prejudices - I'm now retired and only good for crusty opinions. If anything has changed significantly your cadre will advise you. Obviously what they tell you is the "truth du jour" and superceeds anything else you might have heard/imagined!)

FWIW - Peregrino

And NO the compass housing is not filled with tritium gas. The DOE/NRC would have cows. It's sealed in glass vials. There's usually a phosphorescent "paint" under the index line that is sufficient to read degree markings. It will require the flashlight at regular intervals to get quality illumination. If you use the rotating bezel with its tritium vial on the index line and count the clicks the way you have been/will be taught you do not need to see the degree markings on the compass card. The real compasses can be identified by the DOE warnings/disposal instructions on the back of them.

Tetrian
03-07-2006, 18:15
Thanks for the clarification Peregrino :)

-Tetrian