PDA

View Full Version : College kid in need of help.

Fox
02-16-2006, 17:09
I'm currently a sophmore in college and frankly I'm losing interest in school. My grades are just fine. In fact my grades are pretty damn good. So here's a short story on a college kid torn between school and serving.

I was sitting in advanced drawing one morning and took a look around at the army website and decided I was going to go talk to an army recruiter after class.

Well I discussed with my recruiter my situation and he said he 'understood' and said he gets a few cases like mine a year. So I asked him about Special Forces and he started telling me all of these 'stories' he'd heard. My recruiter is a Abrams driver. So I took note of that and decided I might want to seek some other information. Lo and behold I found this website with what seems to be full of quite a few SF operatives who hopefully can shed some more light on the SF aspect that my recruiter couldn't.

My recruiter brought up my ASVAB scores and pretty much pissed himself when he saw I had a 84. All of my line scores are above a 115. Now I'm really interested in becoming a SF operative and I let my recruiter know this. Well the guy is totally opposed to the idea of me being an 18x. In fact even the Boss(MSG) was opposed to the idea. Now I know it didn't have to do with anything physically because I'm a very Physically Fit kid. I asked them why and they said I was too damned smart to be a SF 'grunt'. I was a little taken back by that statement and asked him what he meant by it. He then clearly stated that guys with my scores need to be doing something better and that I should leave that job up to some infantry kid looking to make his dreams come true. I was slightly offended by that mostly because I came in with a dream of maybe becoming a special forces operative.

The Boss then printed off some info on the 97b Counterintelligence Agent MOS. I read through it and found a lot of it interesting. But I still have my heart set on being a SF operative. I was back there a few days later and the Boss informed that The Dev groups have intel detachments as well.

I'm a little torn between the two jobs and was wondering if I could get a little input from some guys that know the 1-2-3's of the job.

Thanks,

John

Rodeo
02-16-2006, 17:33
Fox,

Not that I know anything, but to save you the tongue-lashing. I would search the site for the information you are looking for and then from there ask questions. The question you are asking is something that only you can decide on.

Thanks, Chris

Danila
02-16-2006, 17:49
Rodeo is right, you will find a wealth of information here just by searching.

With regards to your recruiters, they're clearly trying to steer you into specific jobs that they may need filled. If you want to be anywhere close to happy in any military (it certainly was true for me in Israel), you need to be savvy and keep your wits about you. If a recruiter is telling you that the unit in the US Army which requires excellent linguistic capabilities, esoteric technical knowledge, and teaching talent (among other things) is just a bunch of "grunts," then that should tip you off right there that you can't trust him.

It would be in your best interest to use some common sense and find another recruiter.

Best of luck to you.

Dan

Fox
02-16-2006, 19:13
Rodeo Fox,

Not that I know anything, but to save you the tongue-lashing. I would search the site for the information you are looking for and then from there ask questions. The question you are asking is something that only you can decide on.

Thanks, Chris

I appreciate your input. I completely understand that it's a decision that I have to make alone. But since history has proven time and time again it's best to know what's on the other side of the door before opening it. Since my recruiter was unable to give that information. I took it upon myself to find out, hence why I am here. Indulging myself in the almost endless peices of information.

Danila Rodeo is right, you will find a wealth of information here just by searching.

With regards to your recruiters, they're clearly trying to steer you into specific jobs that they may need filled. If you want to be anywhere close to happy in any military (it certainly was true for me in Israel), you need to be savvy and keep your wits about you. If a recruiter is telling you that the unit in the US Army which requires excellent linguistic capabilities, esoteric technical knowledge, and teaching talent (among other things) is just a bunch of "grunts," then that should tip you off right there that you can't trust him.

It would be in your best interest to use some common sense and find another recruiter.

Best of luck to you.

Dan

I know my recruiters were trying to fill out a spot and get a nice golden star on their recruiting audit. I am also aware that I need to see another recruiter as I read the stickies about 'posting ettiquette'. I have already taken steps to that. I am currently talking to another recruiter from another town. But nontheless he's not much better. The next nearest recruiter is 2 hours away, then after that...I'm clearly heading to the other side of the state then. Mind you, I live in Northern Wisconsin in the middle of a National Forest. I even went as far as talking to an online recruiter. But they weren't much help. It was link, after same link, after link with the same information.

What I suppose I am looking for is the input from men that have been there and done that. If college has taught me anything 1st hand knowledge hits home better than that of 3rd hand knowlegde. Hence the hands on approach to everything in education now. At least in Wisconsin. Now, I know this ins't any where near hands on. At least I'm getting the CORRECT information from a small group of GOOD MEN.

Thanks for your time,

John

Eagle5US
02-16-2006, 19:43
Hey John...

You are selectively missing the important point here. We aren't going to tell you anything until you excercise the smallest bit of effort to research it on your own.
Asking us what the answers are is not considered research.

Eagle

bosljeff
02-16-2006, 19:55
I'm not compensated for these endorsements, but it can't hurt to get your hands on some reading materials. My top 4:
1 "Get Selected for Special Forces"-your best bet for a book about SF, written for SF, by SF; a great read and it has suggestions for other great reads.
2 "Masters of Chaos"-I might be proven wrong, but I found it to be very insightful and motivating and not all Hollywood.
3 "Not a Good Day to Die"-Again, just a good read.
4 "Special Forces" by Tom Clancy-seems to be good info, sometimes quite detailed, but I like details.

Also, check out this thread: http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40592

I don't have personal experience (other than being a fresh 18x) so these books (except for Get Selected) may be considered crap by all the QPs, but all I can say is make an informed decision and do what you want and what you feel you are willing to live and (God forbid) possibly die for. This is your life and you are volunteering for your country, choose how you want to volunteer. You got time, don't make a decision that makes anyone but you happy. I'm sure recruiters are used to being ignored here and there.

As for being "too smart". What is wrong with that? You will find (In 'Get Selected') that there is a significant amount of bookwork and classroom work involved on the path to the green beret. Is there such thing as a warrior that is too smart? I wouldn't want an average, or dumb, warrior serving on SF.

Like Eagle said: start reading on this site, books, and anywhere else. Odds are the 'answers' you are looking for are out there and then some.
Good luck.

jatx
02-16-2006, 20:40
You're not honestly asking if you're too smart for SF, are you? :eek:

Have you read through these forums? Listened in on the conversations waiting here for you? Taken note of how these guys relate to each other and what they choose to discuss?

Your ASVAB score just means that in a room of 100 recruits, 15 will be smarter than you. I would venture a guess that the score distribution for 18x recruits and SFAS selectees is skewed high, and you'd find yourself closer to the middle of the curve.

Just the same, good luck with your decision.

Fox
02-16-2006, 21:00
I'm sorry I was being selective. I guess it's just the fact that I'm a little frustrated with my situation. Which I read isn't how you want to go into SFAS. I shouldn't make a decision in frustration either. That's common sense.

As for the books. Thank you very much for adding some more to my list. I've already read Tom Clancy's book and am a very large fan of many of his books. I've also read Inside Delta Force by: Command Sergeant Major, USA(ret.) Eric L. Haney. It was probably one of the best books I've read in quite some time.

I have two questions though.

Firstly, What are the pros and cons to being a SF operator?

I know some people have mentioned it's not the life for a family man. Or at least will be very difficult for those who are. At least from what I've read already.

Secondly, Can you tell me from your experience with Military Intelligence. (Signals, Psyops, Counterintelligence Agents) how you guys work together.

I've read up on signals and Psyops. I've read that they work closely with SF units and generally are part of a support group. I was wondering if the CA is withing that support group as well.

My recruiters weren't very informative on much of anything. Everything I've gained so far is from reading wikipedia and this site.

Sorry to those who find this a waste of their time, To those who were kind enough to give me some information. Thank you very much.

John

Peregrino
02-16-2006, 22:05
Fox - Your situation is not unique. There are literally dozens of people on this board facing the same decisions (and God alone knows how many more who haven't found their way here). EVERYTHING you are asking about has been discussed "Ad Nauseum" somewhere in here. You need to follow the advice you've been given. Say thank you to all the kind folks who have tried to steer you towards the search button and go into the "lurk and learn" mode. Then start using the search button. If you keep up on the same vein you will attract unfavorable attention from the (other) Mods/Admins for "lack of situational awareness" and "failure to follow simple instructions" neither one of which reflect positively on your character. We (QP's) expect people to be self-starters. We also expect you to exhaust your own resources (there's that search button thingy again) before you ask for help. It helps us gauge your level of commitment to any professed goals and saves wasted time/effort on our part. "Nuff said" - Thread Closed. Peregrino

QRQ 30
02-25-2006, 10:24
Firstly, What are the pros and cons to being a SF operator?

A foogin idjit!!:( If you want to be an operator see Lily Tomlin.
If you can't read and comply with the directions above you will never make it anyway. Be a news caster.:rolleyes: