PDA

View Full Version : Language Question

chairborne
02-15-2006, 09:50
I'm in the 82nd right and have a 3/2+ in arabic. I haven't dropped a packet quite yet but in the process of getting smart on sfas I ran into a question I couldn't find an answer to. Any chance they would let me get another language in? A 3rd language couldn't hurt. I'd love to try mandarin for instance, but I realize I might be more useful if I was to get another language in the same AO, some farsi or dari maybe. Or would they just skip the language requirement altogether? I realize there are many many hurdles between here and there, just curious if anybody could find me an answer. thanks.

booker
02-15-2006, 11:44
I venture to say that the language issue isn't one of importance at this juncture, instead you should focus on that 25m target of getting your packet together and getting through the pipeline.

Sorry to take anyone's fire, just didn't want too much arty coming in...

spec1337
02-15-2006, 15:22
If you make it through SFAS and into the SFQC, you will fill out plenty of paperwork, and on one of those papers will ask if you are proficient in a 2nd language, if you have ever taken the DLPT, and if so, your rating.

I just graduated the SFQC last month, and I know plenty of people who skipped language school altogether because they were allowed to test out on their 2nd language. With the changes that they are making to the SFQC now(language in modular blocks throughout the course) I'm not sure how it will work in the future, but they will probably still have an option for people with prior language skills.

Team Sergeant
02-15-2006, 17:10
If you make it through SFAS and into the SFQC, you will fill out plenty of paperwork, and on one of those papers will ask if you are proficient in a 2nd language, if you have ever taken the DLPT, and if so, your rating.

I just graduated the SFQC last month, and I know plenty of people who skipped language school altogether because they were allowed to test out on their 2nd language. With the changes that they are making to the SFQC now(language in modular blocks throughout the course) I'm not sure how it will work in the future, but they will probably still have an option for people with prior language skills.

This the first time you've given advice as a "Quiet Professional"???:D

TS

spec1337
02-15-2006, 18:28
Yes, I need to jump on more of those questions about the current SFQC, considering I just spent the last 30 months there, and it is basically the only thing in SF on which I am qualified to give advice...

Team Sergeant
02-15-2006, 19:47
Yes,

Just making sure.

That's a case of beer.

TS

That was like taking candy from a baby......:D

Blueboy
02-16-2006, 00:12
Chairborne------I'll beat a dead horse here b/c it's that important. Bottom line----focus on preparing for SFAS. Your language skills are valuable and will be put to good use, but only if you prove to us that you're the complete package. So instead of worrying about learning Swahili or whatever in the latter part of the Q-Course, put that ruck on your back and get some more miles on your feet. Train hard---good luck.

Eagle5US
02-16-2006, 08:12
Just making sure.

That's a case of beer.

TS

Cha-CHING!!!

Well done on qualifying in the only REAL MOS :D

Eagle

spec1337
02-18-2006, 14:40
Just making sure.

That's a case of beer.

TS

Damn! I pulled the grenade and threw the pin on that one. Does FedEx ship beer? :o

Team Sergeant
02-18-2006, 17:46
Damn! I pulled the grenade and threw the pin on that one. Does FedEx ship beer? :o

We always liked getting "new guys" on the team.....;)

That's alright, I'm sure you are making your Team Mates very happy......

TS

longrange1947
02-18-2006, 20:00
Now that was worth the 5 cents admission. :D

kailua99
02-21-2006, 15:49
I'm in the 82nd right and have a 3/2+ in arabic. I haven't dropped a packet quite yet but in the process of getting smart on sfas I ran into a question I couldn't find an answer to. Any chance they would let me get another language in? A 3rd language couldn't hurt. I'd love to try mandarin for instance, but I realize I might be more useful if I was to get another language in the same AO, some farsi or dari maybe. Or would they just skip the language requirement altogether? I realize there are many many hurdles between here and there, just curious if anybody could find me an answer. thanks.

1) True enough, if you are not a "go" on day 24, it does not matter what language you speak.

2) That said, you will fill out a language preference sheet on day one of SFAS.
You may request training in an additional language. Bring your current DLPT.

3) If selected, you will be given your language training "track" on day 24.

Options include training in another language, most likely from the same AO, or
you may be given the chance for advanced training in Arabic, or you may skip all or most of language training altogether.

Daver
02-21-2006, 20:09
Just making sure.

That's a case of beer.

TS

I guess that young man just got his first...no pun intended....introduction to paying attention to what he says and to who!! ha ha Ha!!!