PDA

View Full Version : ELCAN Specter DR dual role...

eva05
02-11-2006, 20:19
Did anyone get to check this out at Shot?

I've seen a few photos from shot and was just checking the Elcan website:

http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/

It sounds cool, like an integrated Aim Point and a ACOG

I had been considering an Aim Point after my recent experience at Blackwater...but this looks like an Aim Point and more...

j

longrange1947
02-14-2006, 09:29
Several of hte guys looked at it and was impressed. However, they did not get to shoot so there is not "experience base" for evaluation.

rubberneck
02-14-2006, 09:34
I read the suggested retail is north of $1200 for that unit. Even if it can be had for $950 it is still pretty expensive. Hopefully someone here will get the chance to play with one and see if the price is justififed.

TitratetoEffect
02-14-2006, 16:27
We just got one of the prototypes on loan a few days ago. Got to use it for a few mags on the range but not in the house yet. I'll get a better update when I get a little more time to play with it. Unfortunately, we have to share it among the other gear geeks around here. :D

eva05
02-14-2006, 16:37
Good deal. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

I've been trying to figure out from the photos, which switch on the optic switches from 1x to 4x? Is it that big nob on the side?

j

GackMan
02-14-2006, 16:47
I played with it for quite a while at the ELCAN booth.

I liked the capabilities it offers for the footprint/weight. It isn't a big as a damn CQ/T so that is a start. Imagine an ACOG that can go 1x with the flip of a switch, it seemed like it was well thought out for its specific role. The reticle was very ACOG NSN + an optional dot in the center.

I think it fills a good void in the kind of "needs magnification but also need to shoot close up with good field of view" niche. From a cop point of view where most of your shooting is a really close range but most of your rifle deployments are perimeter and observation with no shooting it is useful for target ID. Or for big army where they are buying a million of them and they need a jack of all trades in one scope for simplicity it could work well.

My misgivings are that 1) it may be trying to be all things to everyone (that just never seems to go well). It is very busy and not a mature product so I'm sure there will be improvements needed over time - anything with that much going on seems to always need some shaking out and 2) I'm just not sure that I trust a lever to mechanically slide a additional lens into place inside the tube. can't articulate that, but it just feels strange... thinking of it getting banged around and dealing with recoil over a long period of time. I'd like to see how that extra lense is attached inside.

TitratetoEffect
02-14-2006, 16:51
On the one we have the lever on the bottom switches it from 1 to 4 x.

eva05
02-15-2006, 10:26
Ahh, I see it now. TY

j