PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

mizuno
02-11-2006, 01:34
Perhaps some of you could shed some truths on some things ive "heard" or "read" on the SF. before i begin though i want to make sure its clear these things have NO bearing on my decision to enter or not. thats already been decided. Im just looking for the truth so im not suprised otherwise. thanks

1. SF deployments are normally 1/3 the time of regular army

2. Home time is more than regular army

3. you get to choose your MOS

Also. will there be enough down time during the 2 years of training to make moving my wife to FT brag worth it? thanks again everyone.

mizuno.

Blueboy
02-11-2006, 02:02
If short deployments and maximizing time at home are your most pressing concerns, then Special Forces is probably not for you. Before you even get to that point---service on an SFODA----you have to get through an arduous 2 year selection and training pipeline. It will tax your physical, mental, and emotional resources to the utmost. If you pass and join the SF Regiment, then the tests really begin. Are you ready for that kind of commitment? More importantly, is your family ready for that kind of commitment?

one-zero
02-11-2006, 06:50
M.
Your hearing things in the context of a 'snapshot in time'. Are SF deployments shorter?? Well, in a way yes...take one of our 90 deployments (pretty short compared to (pick conv unit)'s 6/8/12 monthers that can happen -BUT- we are kitted up and out there running multiple targets EVERYDAY. There have been days we've gone out on a successful hit and on the chopper/veh ride back got diverted to do another hit due to a 'tipper'...and sometimes a third if refit allowed/ Much like some of the old recon guys from VN era can relate to - when you're in an outfit thats going into lake of fire continuously and a far more dangerous manner - the tours must be shorter....You can compare sitrep logs from Cbt arms units in theater and amount of actual direct fire engagements - we have SF elements that have more engagements on separate OBJs in a week than some INF Bns have in 3 months!

>for a second, forget the war, because thats what your thinking of as a deployment, while 9/11 was a big blip on my radar screen, it didn't do much to change my view on deployments cause guess what??? SF guys always deploy and are always at WAR....pre-9-11, while most units were playing war games, SF guys were deployed to (Name your Hotspot)...so guys in the Mil are yakking about deployments over the past 5 years, screw 'em - When this current war ends and all those units go home, you can bet your ass SF guys will still be out there on those "short" deployments - It's what we do, and it NEVER ends<
Enough on short tours - the candle that burns twice as bright can only burn half as long -

I have no idea what you mean by home time...we aren't nine to five. Take the down periods where you can...suck up the rest. Suggest you read NDD's tag line on "True Believer" in relation to how we look at home - get your mind right. BTW, I don't suppose to speak for all my QP brothers, but I eat-sleep-breath this shit and still appear normal.

I won't touch the MOS piece as I can guarantee a search will get your answer....

You got good intentions Mizuno for taking the road to serve, but SF ain't for everybody -look before you leap.
1-0

The Reaper
02-11-2006, 09:39
Mizuno:

Please do some research and reading here before asking any more questions.

The Search button is your friend.

I realize that you are excited, but our experience here is that you learn more by reading than talking. For your first day or two on this site, you are drawing a lot of attention to yourself.

Relax, settle down, search, and read.

TR

mizuno
02-11-2006, 11:58
If short deployments and maximizing time at home are your most pressing concerns, then Special Forces is probably not for you. Before you even get to that point---service on an SFODA----you have to get through an arduous 2 year selection and training pipeline. It will tax your physical, mental, and emotional resources to the utmost. If you pass and join the SF Regiment, then the tests really begin. Are you ready for that kind of commitment? More importantly, is your family ready for that kind of commitment?

thank you all for replies. as i said the questions i asked do not have a direct effect on my choice to join. my wife and i have already made thaat choice based on worse case scenario and are ok with it. i was just looking for info so the i was prepared with the truth. thanks again for the info.

mizuno.