PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympic Thread

Sdiver
02-10-2006, 23:21
Anyone watch the opening ceremony?
Anyone going to watch any of the events?
Anyone care ???

I'll probably watch a hockey match or two or three or four or....

lksteve
02-10-2006, 23:32
nope...
probably...
a little...

Gypsy
02-11-2006, 09:46
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Anyone see Sofia Loren? She sure looks great for her age!

But you can't tell me they couldn't find anyone ELSE besides Susan Sarandon to be part of the group that carried the Olympic Flag. :rolleyes: (I think it was they Olympic Flag, I stepped away for a minute and came back to that...)

Sdiver
02-11-2006, 09:56
But you can't tell me they couldn't find anyone ELSE besides Susan Sarandon to be part of the group that carried the Olympic Flag. :rolleyes: (I think it was they Olympic Flag, I stepped away for a minute and came back to that...)

Did I read this right ????!!!!

Susan Sarandon helped carry in the Olympic Flag ??? You're talking about Susan Sarandon the actress...the one from Bull Durham and Thelma and Louies ???

Say it ain't so.:eek:

Gypsy
02-11-2006, 10:01
Yes it's true. (As I said I think it was the Olympic Flag, I stepped away for a minute)

Goggles Pizano
02-11-2006, 11:32
Sarandon? :rolleyes: Just how does she rate????

I might watch some of the hockey but could care less about the rest. In my view the Association cheapened the Olympics when they allowed professionals to participate.

vsvo
02-11-2006, 12:27
I watched a good part of the opening ceremonies. The music accompanying the introduction of the athletes was good!

Gypsy, agree with both your points.

QRQ 30
02-12-2006, 07:48
The last games really turned me off with all of the controversy, whining, protesting etc. To me the one bright spot was Sarah Ferguson. She competed her heart off, won the gold, and almost humbly accepted her lauels and returned to school to hardly be heard from again. She is a very classy young woman. One commentator yesterday said she didn't deserve the gold. BULL!!

Michelle Kwan has been the babe of the media since her pre-teens. She is evidently incredibly unlucky but I think to when the USA girls gymnists won the gold. They overcame some serious injuries to win.

I just wonder if Michelle Kwan was ever really made of the right stuff. This is not to say she isn't a very nice woman -- I just wonder if she was worth all of the media hype.

mumbleypeg
02-14-2006, 13:33
I really do not like figure skating. I was, however, watching with my wife when the Chinese pair skated. It was a very spectacular fall. I was very impressed with their decision to continue their routine. That said, and as impressive as they skated, there were a number of teams that didn't fall down,and they weren't awarded medals.

QRQ 30
02-14-2006, 16:10
I really do not like figure skating. I was, however, watching with my wife when the Chinese pair skated. It was a very spectacular fall. I was very impressed with their decision to continue their routine. That said, and as impressive as they skated, there were a number of teams that didn't fall down,and they weren't awarded medals.

I believe it was Peggy Flemming who fell during her long program. She skated so well that she still won the gold.

I see Sarah Hughes' sister Emily is replacing Michelle Kwan.

Bill Harsey
02-14-2006, 17:20
All the damned tv seems to want to cover is the figure skating, how about humping those damn cameras up the hill so we can watch some 90 MPH downhill skiing?

I quit watching figure skating way back when our homegirl Tanya broke a shoelace and quit.:D

QRQ 30
02-14-2006, 17:23
All the damned tv seems to want to cover is the figure skating, how about humping those damn cameras up the hill so we can watch some 90 MPH downhill skiing?

I quit watching figure skating way back when our homegirl Tanya broke a shoelace and quit.:D

Its coming!! In fact they showed a few awsome crashes during practice.

The downhill course is awsome and you'll see a lot of air.

Roguish Lawyer
02-14-2006, 18:06
I'll TiVo most of the hockey games and maybe watch a few other things, but hockey is what I really am interested in. The US team has a legitimate shot this year.

QRQ 30
02-14-2006, 18:25
I'll TiVo most of the hockey games and maybe watch a few other things, but hockey is what I really am interested in. The US team has a legitimate shot this year.

Men or women or both? I saw something on the women. It looks like the only team that has beaten them is the Casnadians and that game was close.

I like most of the alpine events except for slalom.

Roguish Lawyer
02-14-2006, 18:54
I really only follow men's hockey. But I will say that the level of play among the women is quite high -- I used to take lessons from someone who played on the Olympic team, and she can really play.

Roguish Lawyer
02-15-2006, 17:01
US team off to a bad start -- tied Latvia, 3-3. Latvia only has three NHL players, but 1 is the goalie, Irbe, and he stopped 39 of 42 shots . . .

QRQ 30
02-15-2006, 17:59
Last night Bodie Miller DQ'd on the slalom and lost the Gold. He said it wasn't the first time he had missed a gate and not the first time he didn't realize it at the time. There was no whining, protesting, foot stomping or any other childish displays. He accepted the mistake in a gracious manner, even with a smile.

So far the winter games have been much more of a credit to the USA than the Summer Games. :)

sf11b_p
02-15-2006, 18:10
Last night Bodie Miller DQ'd on the slalom and lost the Gold. He said it wasn't the first time he had missed a gate and not the first time he didn't realize it at the time. There was no whining, protesting, foot stomping or any other childish displays. He accepted the mistake in a gracious manner, even with a smile.

So far the winter games have been much more of a credit to the USA than the Summer Games. :)

Hey it didn't interfere with his partying and the trips paid for, what does he care. :rolleyes:

Bill Harsey
02-15-2006, 20:29
Hey it didn't interfere with his partying and the trips paid for, what does he care. :rolleyes:
Don't be pickin' on Bodie unless you an out-ski him.

Positions on the US Olympic Ski Team are earned not awarded. He's always gone all out and that's the only way anyone has a chance to win on this world cup tour stop.

sf11b_p
02-15-2006, 22:58
Don't be pickin' on Bodie unless you an out-ski him.

Positions on the US Olympic Ski Team are earned not awarded. He's always gone all out and that's the only way anyone has a chance to win on this world cup tour stop.

Rueters News reported he was out till midnight Saturday, but he slept late declining an early morning inspection of the course. With the extra rest he pulled a fifth place finish. To be fair the friend he was drinking with says they called it quits at 10:30 edited, that was for Sundays race.

SI reports his season as...

Miller's season in downhill: Seven races, one podium. His average finish is ninth. Throw out his outlying 22nd in Lake Louise on Thanksgiving and his average finish is still no better than sixth.

(CCTimes)he said countless times this past year that he didn't care if he won any medals. Taking part in the Olympics, he said, is more important than winning.

"If I had my way, we'd just ski to ski," he explained.

If that's what Miller wants, he should return to recreational skiing.

He didn't even want to be at these games, he said over and over. "There was no avoiding it," he told Sports Illustrated. "I was selected ahead of time. I was the World Cup champion. I'm an American. All along, it was going to be a total s--- show." - Bode Miller

I don't know if he himself cares what anyone thinks of him, doesn't seem he cares about much at all. Maybe he's tired of being the icon and just wants to relax.

QRQ 30
02-16-2006, 07:33
I don't know enough about Miller to comment upon his character other than to repeat that it is a joy to see our athletes not trash their country and whine and stomp their feet in defeat as our "Hyphenated" American citizens tend to do.

My impression of Miller's skiing is that he is very competetive to the point of skiing on the edge. Being on the edge, it doesn't take much to slip off. His foul in the slalom was a matter of inches and probably didn't affect his time enough to cost the medal. He had the best times. Play it safe in slalom and cut the gates wide and you may as well not show up.

Perhaps his public attitude points out a downside to professionals competing in the Olympics. He was under huge commercial contracts and had no choice but to compete -- if you accept he didn't really want to be there.

IMO he wanted to be there and he wanted to win. Otherwise there was a safer way down the mountain.

Bill Harsey
02-16-2006, 08:41
So Bode is the first Olympic athlete to stay out late? :D

You guys tell me how this turns out. I only get Olympic coverage via NBC and after watching the non stop ads briefly interupted by some short Olympic events, I'm not watching anymore.

sf11b_p
02-16-2006, 08:45
Yes indeed, I watched a female speed skater yesterday lose a chance for a medal by not pushing her limits. She'd begun to pass two skaters, showed she could do it then backed off afraid press through and chance a foul.

QRQ 30
02-16-2006, 08:49
So Bode is the first Olympic athlete to stay out late? :D

So true. The first time I saw Katie Currick on TV she was covering the party scene in the oplympic village in Sarejavo. The parties were wild and K-K-K-Katie was a real party animal. Lately she has gotten too big for her panties and I don't care for her any more.

jon448
02-16-2006, 09:10
I've met Josh Davis(swimmer) a few times through my older brother and he talked about the craziness of the olympic village. He said it was at least 10 times worse then anything he'd seen in college and he went to Texas, so Bode ain't the only one.

QRQ 30
02-16-2006, 09:17
I've met Josh Davis(swimmer) a few times through my older brother and he talked about the craziness of the olympic village. He said it was at least 10 times worse then anything he'd seen in college and he went to Texas, so Bode ain't the only one.

Do you really mean "worse"?:D Yeeah!!!:lifter

QRQ 30
02-16-2006, 09:39
The first time I saw the Flying Tomato being interviewed on TV I honestly thought it was a girl with somewhat masculine features. Really:p

He has hair a lot of girls would kill for.:D

vsvo
02-16-2006, 10:01
Lately she has gotten too big for her panties and I don't care for her any more.
Unfortunately, even though she's a local girl done good, I would have to agree. It's only going to get worse if she gets the evening news gig.

I enjoyed watching the Flying Tomato. It was surprising and touching the way he responded after his victory. But you're right Terry, the dude has the hair!

jon448
02-16-2006, 13:59
Well Josh thought it was "worse" because he's a very conservative guy, no idea why he got along with my brother. However if I was there I'd probably be in heaven considering how good looking most of the women there are:D

aricbcool
02-16-2006, 17:11
You guys tell me how this turns out. I only get Olympic coverage via NBC and after watching the non stop ads briefly interupted by some short Olympic events, I'm not watching anymore.

Is there a cable channel that provides better coverage? I've been watching NBC as well, but fear I might be missing out.

Regards,
Aric

sf11b_p
02-16-2006, 18:52
USA channel

aricbcool
02-16-2006, 18:54
Excellent. Thanks!

QRQ 30
02-16-2006, 20:34
And to think I USED to like him. Like I said before maybe the lack of Hyphonated Americans is the reason for less controversy.

"Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

Roguish Lawyer
02-17-2006, 12:01
Tried watching some random events last night. Boy, talk about terrible coverage! Totally unwatchable, some of this stuff.

QRQ 30
02-17-2006, 12:08
Tried watching some random events last night. Boy, talk about terrible coverage! Totally unwatchable, some of this stuff.

I'm not much of a spectator myself. I prefer to play.:lifter

QRQ 30
02-17-2006, 12:20
I don't even know who is going to win yet but the USA vs. Sweden is being decided by a shoot-out. After 140 minutes of good competition the game is to be decided by the equivalent of a coin flip. They have to come up with a better system.:mad:

Gypsy
02-17-2006, 18:37
And to think I USED to like him. Like I said before maybe the lack of Hyphonated Americans is the reason for less controversy.

Never liked the guy myself, he's a condescending, arrogant ass IMO. O'Reilly is supposed to have something on this tonight.

Sdiver
02-18-2006, 12:23
WHOA !!!!!!

The Swiss team just blanked the Canadain team in Men's Hockey.
2-0

BIG upset !!!!:eek:

Sdiver
02-18-2006, 12:25

Of course you do know what NBC stands for during Olympic coverage ???

Nothing
But
Commercials

MtnGoat
02-18-2006, 15:11
Man we just lost 2-1 Slovakia wins... MAN!!!!

CoLawman
02-23-2006, 10:24
Another disappointing showing for our USA Hockey Team!
And a disappointing outing for our Friends on the Northern Border!:(

Tuukka
02-23-2006, 15:39
Good game,

This is the best level of performance I have seen of the national team in ages, with the older generation leading the way.

None of the troubles encountered over the years are evident, such as struggling with the weaker teams and having difficulty scoring.

Pete
02-23-2006, 17:10
Curling 7:00AM America vs the Brits for the Bronze

QRQ 30
02-23-2006, 17:28
I seriously doubt that Emily Hughes will get a medal but I still say Mom and Dad Hughes done good raising their two girls!:lifter

CoLawman
02-26-2006, 11:10
Swedes over Fins!

Congrats Martin!
Sorry Tuukaa, but the OLSON always comes out in me at times like this.:lifter

Martin
02-26-2006, 12:15
Well played! :lifter

Martin

cszakolczai
02-27-2006, 14:07
Congratulations to the Sweedish Hockey team for capturing the gold.

USA didn't do much with there players, but rumor has it, that its going to go back to what it used to be like, no professional players allowed in the hockey games. But thats just a rumor I heard.
Chris

Sigaba
01-23-2010, 23:54
I see Sarah Hughes' sister Emily....Unfortunately, Emily Hughes's attempted comeback came up short tonight. She fell twice during her free-skate program at the 2010 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships as her older sister, Sarah, watched from the stands.*

Um...er...I generally don't watch ice skating...I...er...was channel surfing.:)