PDA

View Full Version : Facial Armor

Wiseman
02-08-2006, 16:58
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4404474

Apparently a Marine designed this protection system that attaches itself to the Kevlar. Has anyone seen this before and is it effective?

Pete
02-08-2006, 17:09
Looks like it would be a little hard to whip the ol' M4 up and grap a snap shot.

Hey guys;

As with anything, too much of something can be a bad thing. How much armor can a guy load himself down with, then add on all the fighting gear and then do combat operations.

For some reason I picture an up-loaded US troop belly up in the street of some 3rd world country. His arms and legs waving in the air like a turtle because he can not right himself and get back up.

The thought is funny but reality would not be. There is a time and place for everything and everything is based on the situation and conditions. Door kickers with pistols? Maybe, but you'd have to get them to comment on it.

Pete

Bob1984
02-08-2006, 18:16
Interesting concept, but it would interfere with stock weld when shooting, might impair visibility and range of motion, as well as breathing, and it would interfere with MOPP gear. This may be useful for riots and would likely be more useful if it could be combined with a gas mask. I agree that it could have uses for door-kickers and I think it would be useful for EOD guys. I'd expect to see law enforcement making use of this before the military.

brewmonkey
02-08-2006, 18:30
It is a great idea and this is certainly a jumping off point to further develop something like this. However looking at that current configuration it does not look like it lends itself well to ground combatants, as the others have mentioned snap shots would be less likely, for longer range shots establishing a good cheek to stock and so on.

What I do think the current version would be good for is mounted crewmembers. How many TC's, BC's, Drivers and so forth who will most likely not be dismounting or shooting would benefit from something like this?

Razor
02-08-2006, 18:36
Even if mass produced versions had a smaller profile and were lighter, hanging something like that off the front of one's helmet is going to be costly to the solider, as he will have to buy all new uniforms to accomodate his 19" neck.