PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Soldier Charged For Damaged Body Armor

Kyobanim
02-08-2006, 10:18
Sometimes the bean counters just need a real hard kick in the ass.
www.wftv.com/news/6832628/detail.html

UPDATED: 8:32 am EST February 8, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A former U.S. soldier injured in Iraq says he was forced to pay $700 for a blood-soaked Kevlar vest that was destroyed after medics removed it to treat shrapnel wounds to his right arm.

First Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV, 25, of Charleston had to leave the Army because of his injuries. But before he could be discharged last week, he had to scrounge up cash from his buddies to pay for the body armor or face not being discharged for months -- all because a supply officer failed to document that the vest had been destroyed more than a year ago as a biohazard.

"I last saw the (body armor) when it was pulled off my bleeding body while I was being evacuated in a helicopter," Rebrook told The Charleston Gazette for Tuesday's edition. "They took it off me and burned it."

Rebrook's story spurred action Tuesday from U.S. Sens. Robert C. Byrd and Jay Rockefeller, both D-W.Va.

"I've been in touch with his family, and I've already written (Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld) to request that they immediately refund his money and review this horrendous policy," said Rockefeller, who is a member of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. "I'm shocked that he has been treated this way by our military."

Byrd questioned Gen. Peter Schoomaker, chief of staff of the Army, on Tuesday during a Senate Armed Services Committee budget hearing in Washington.

"How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor?" Byrd asked.

Schoomaker called Rebrook's story unusual and promised Byrd to "correct it if there's any truth to it."

Rockefeller said he first met Rebrook when he was an ROTC cadet at George Washington High School in Charleston and later nominated him to the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., where he graduated with honors. Rebrook then spent four years on active duty, including six months in Iraq.

Rebrook's mother, Beckie Drumheler, said she was angry when she learned about the $700 bill. Soldiers who serve their country, those who put their lives on the line, deserve better, she said.

"He couldn't get out of the Army until he paid it and he had to pay cash," Drumheler said. "My son loved the Army and was proud of serving his country. For any soldier to be treated like this is outrageous."

Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when a roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005. The explosion fractured his arm and severed an artery. A Black Hawk helicopter airlifted him to a combat support hospital in Baghdad. He was later flown to a hospital in Germany before being transferred to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

His arm never completely recovered despite seven operations. He still has range of motion problems and pain.

After eight months at Fort Hood, Texas, he gathered up his gear to leave. Things went smoothly until officers asked him for his missing body armor. In the past, the Army allowed to soldiers to write memos, explaining the loss and destruction of gear but a new policy requires documentation from the field.

Rebrook said he tried to get a battalion commander to sign a waiver, but the officer declined. He was told he would have to supply statements from witnesses to verify the body armor was taken from him and burned.

"First Cavalry Division leadership is going to do everything to ensure this issue is brought to a conclusion that is both in line with procedures that apply to all its soldiers and in the best interest of our veterans who have served so proudly and honorably in Iraq," Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, the division's spokesman at Fort Hood, told the Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald for Wednesday's edition.

Bleichwehl said soldiers are not held financially responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or destroyed in combat operations.

Rebrook's story has prompted donations from residents. A local radio station raised $700 within 90 minutes Tuesday, and one woman dropped off a $200 check by his mother's home, said Rebrook's stepfather, Charles Drumheler.

"I thought that was pretty nice that people care," Charles Drumheler said.

Rebrook's father, Ed Rebrook, a Charleston lawyer, said while the donations were appreciated, his son did not plan to accept them.

brewmonkey
02-08-2006, 13:48
I am truly growing tired of the bean counters stepping on their dicks like this.

However it is nice to see that there people out there that will stand up and support the troops like they have been in these situations. Perhaps if the LT does not take the donations as he mentioned he will find something like Soldiers Angels (http://soldiersangels.org/valour/) and donate the money to them. They can always use a hand.

QRQ 30
02-08-2006, 16:09
IMNSHO this is pure bull shit. Anyone sending this clown money may be abetting fraud. Don't be surprised to see the Army prefer charges against this Lt.

"First Cavalry Division leadership is going to do everything to ensure this issue is brought to a conclusion that is both in line with procedures that apply to all its soldiers and in the best interest of our veterans who have served so proudly and honorably in Iraq," Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, the division's spokesman at Fort Hood, told the Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald for Wednesday's edition.

Bleichwehl said soldiers are not held financially responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or destroyed in combat operations.

I totally concur with the above statement.:mad:

Pete
02-08-2006, 16:56
If you are getting out or just changing Posts you still have to clear the required stations. Two of the biggies are S-4 and CIF. You either have the required equipment in servicable condition, the required paperwork stating why you don't or you pay for it.

He was offered the chance to hang around while they cleared it up but he picked the pay and walk route.:boohoo As an officer he should have known the process.

Now he's a little crybaby and the left's newest poster child.

Suck it up and drive on, Lt.

Pete
Just my opinion, but I also hate the paper pushing system. I hate it but would find it hard to put a better system in place to replace it.

NousDefionsDoc
02-08-2006, 18:57
Cav probes ex-officers armor bill

By Debbie Stevenson
Killeen Daily Herald

The 1st Cavalry Division is investigating claims by a former junior officer that he was forced to pay for body armor he last wore when he was injured in a roadside bomb attack in Iraq.

First Lt. William Eddie Rebrook IV, a 25-year-old from Charleston, W.Va., received a medical discharge last week from the Army.

He had received shrapnel wounds to his right arm in the roadside bomb attack Jan. 11 while riding atop his Bradley fighting vehicle in Iraq with the 1st Cavalrys 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment.

Rebrook last saw his Kevlar vest when it was removed by medics to treat his wounds, he told his local paper, The Charleston Gazette, for its Tuesday edition.

Soaked in his blood, the vest was declared a biohazard and disposed of, Rebrook said.

I last saw the (body armor) when it was pulled off my bleeding body while I was being evacuated in a helicopter, Rebrook told The Charleston Gazette. They took it off me and burned it.

Since that fateful day in Iraq, Rebrook and his unit were reunited in April at Fort Hood. Rebrooks arm never completely recovered despite seven operations, troubling him with motion problems and pain.

His last position with the battalion before his discharge was the S-1, or personnel officer.

A division senior officer, who declined to be named because of a pending congressional investigation, said the battalion has separated 21 soldiers for combat injuries without incident or bills for lost equipment. Much of that paperwork had to have crossed Rebrooks desk as personnel officer.

When Rebrooks turn came, he reported the loss of four items from the attack to his units supply sergeant, the officer confirmed.

Later, at Fort Hoods Central Issuing Facility, 25 items from his field gear issue, dubbed TA-50, that had been signed out by Rebrook were listed as missing. Rebrook turned in five of those missing items later that day.

Instead of returning to file a report with the supply sergeant for the remaining items, Rebrook opted to pay for the missing field gear, including the vest. The bill was $632.

Bottom line, he was given the opportunity not to pay for those items as a matter of due course, sworn statements, the officer said. All he had to do was go back to the supply sergeant and get the paperwork and all of it would have been settled.

Once home, Rebrook told his mother, Beckie Drumheler, about the experience, claiming he had to scrounge up cash from his buddies to pay for the body armor or face not being discharged for months. Angry, she wrote a letter to the editor.

The publication of it set off a firestorm with U.S. Sens. Robert C. Byrd and Jay Rockefeller, both Democrats from Rebrooks home state.

Ive been in touch with his family, and Ive already written (Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld) to request that they immediately refund his money and review this horrendous policy, said Rockefeller, who is a member of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. Im shocked that he has been treated this way by our military.

Byrd questioned Gen. Peter Schoomaker, chief of staff of the Army, on Tuesday during a Senate Armed Services Committee budget hearing in Washington.

How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor? Byrd asked.

Schoomaker called Re-brooks story unusual and promised Byrd to correct it if theres any truth to it.

Soldiers who serve their country, those who put their lives on the line, deserve better, Rebrooks mother told the Gazette.

He couldnt get out of the Army until he paid it and he had to pay cash, Drumheler said. My son loved the Army and was proud of serving his country. For any soldier to be treated like this is outrageous.

Rebrooks story prompted donations from Charleston-area residents. A local radio station raised $700 within 90 minutes Tuesday, and one woman dropped off a $200 check by his mothers home, said Rebrooks stepfather, Charles Drumheler, the Gazette reported.

I thought that was pretty nice that people care, Charles Drumheler said.

Rebrooks father, Ed Rebrook, a Charleston lawyer, said while the donations were appreciated, his son did not plan to accept them.

Officially, the 1st Cavalry could not comment once the senators launched the congressional investigation into the incident.

First Cavalry Division leadership is going to do everything to ensure this issue is brought to a conclusion that is both in line with procedures that apply to all its soldiers and in the best interest of our veterans who have served so proudly and honorably in Iraq, said Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, the divisions spokesman, noting that soldiers are not held financially responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or destroyed in combat operations.

Rebrook reportedly called his former unit after his mothers letter was published to apologize, telling them I was at fault, an officer close to the process said.

http://www.kdhnews.com/docs/daily/ourtexas.aspx?sid=2

QRQ 30
02-08-2006, 19:26
A return to Saturday Morning inspections would correct that situation.:D