PDA

View Full Version : Wilbur goes to Fiji

Roguish Lawyer
02-07-2006, 09:00
I wanted something different last night, and had a limited selection of ingredients available, so I did a little redneck engineering in the kitchen and came up with the following Iowa-asian fusion dish. It was not bad, or I wouldn't post it. I didn't measure anything, but I'll try to estimate how much of everything I used.

Four boneless pork chops
10-oz can of corn
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 8-oz can sliced mushrooms
1 cup dried assorted gourmet mushrooms
1/4 cup bacon bits
3 cups white grape juice
1 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup very hot szechuan stir fry sauce
Canola oil

Cut the fat off the pork chops. Dice into bite-sized pieces.

Heat canola oil in large wok, about 1 inch deep, on high heat.

Fry pork until lightly browned, stirring often.

Remove pork with something that will strain out oil and set aside.

Pour out most of the oil, leaving just enough to cover the bottom of the wok.

Add sliced mushrooms for 30 seconds, then add dried mushrooms. Stir fry for 30 seconds, then add one cup grape juice and stir fry for a couple of minutes. (The dried mushrooms will absorb the grape juice and reconstitute.)

Add garlic, onion powder and bacon bits and continue to stir fry for a couple of minutes.

Return pork to wok. Add another cup of grape juice and stir fry until reduced a bit. Stir in the salt.

Sequentially add (stirring each ingredient in before adding the next) szechuan sauce, marmalade, honey and remaining grape juice. Cook, stirring pretty constantly, until sauce is reduced to about two inches in the wok.

Add snap peas and corn and stir fry until cooked.

Serve. We just had it straight since I'm back on a low-carb diet, but I would recommend it be served on top of white or brown rice. Pair with Sauvignon Blanc or a dry lager.