PDA

View Full Version : Non-SF SF like teams...

Surgicalcric
02-04-2006, 08:07
Found this on another site and thought it looked interesting. Not that I am interested in it... well you guys know what I mean.

http://www.ArmyTimes.com

February 06, 2006

MITT duty a career-booster for soldiers who make team

By Gina Cavallaro
Times staff writer

Getting on a Military Transition Team may be the hottest gig in the war zone.

The formalization of the small-team approach to training security forces in Iraq and Afghanistan is seen as a key to handing over full security responsibility and, eventually, to the withdrawal of U.S. forces.

More immediately for the individual soldier, MITTs offer a career-boosting opportunity.

The MITTs are headed by senior combat arms majors and include other combat arms officers and noncommissioned officers. They can also include members from other branches, in some cases.

Cultural sensitivities and the same gender rules that apply to direct combat in the U.S. military bar female soldiers from joining a MITT. However, women are involved in similar small-team training activities above the brigade level.

Many troops working on these small teams in Iraq and Afghan-istan are logging extra combat tours and getting noticed by promotion boards.

“The bottom line in terms of MITTs and all the transition teams is that it is a large investment of Army leadership to help train and advise these Iraqi units as they form and become operational,” said Lt. Col. Reginald Allen, a future operations officer with the Army G-3.

The soldiers who make up the MITTs have trickled in from all the major subordinate commands, which have been tasked to fill teams. They are also being pulled into the teams from brigades on duty in country.

The officers and NCOs are currently hand-picked via directives sent down through the major Army command to the brigade level. The profile of a good candidate starts with some basic requirements:

• Recent operational experience.

• Strong personnel file and evaluations.

• History of strong midlevel leadership positions — for an enlisted soldier, squad or section leadership experience and platoon leadership; for an officer, company command.

• Demonstrated ability to train and instruct soldiers.

• Experience in career field or military occupational specialty.

Although there is no formal move to seek volunteers right now, soldiers interested in being on a MITT can raise their hands if they meet the basic criteria.

About 35 percent of U.S. troops working on MITTs in Iraq are from the other services, and some have coalition members on board. Reserve and National Guard soldiers are also working on MITTs.

Most of the teams are at the battalion level. There are other types of teams that train police and border guards, but the most common type of team in Iraq with the largest number on the ground is the MITT, which comprises six officers and five NCOs:

• Team chief, major.

• Operations officer, captain.

• Intelligence team, captain and NCO.

• Logistics team, captain and NCO.

• HQ logistics adviser, captain

• Fire support team, captain and NCO.

• Communications NCO.

• Medic NCO.

According to Allen, about half the officers and NCOs picked to be on the teams are combat veterans of Iraq or Afghanistan.

“The directive we received is to try to fill these teams with the best and brightest officers and NCOs that we could find,” Allen said.

That guidance comes from U.S. Central Command.

“It’s absolutely a positive thing [for a soldier’s career]; it’s considered a combat tour,” Allen said, describing his own recent experience sitting on a board.

“I’ll tell you, if you see a guy who’s had two deployments — where he was deployed with a combat brigade in theater, then two years later he did a year on a MITT team — that guy is going to have a leg up in my opinion,” said Allen, who commanded 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry, 4th Infantry Division, until last summer.

Like a Korea tour

Soldiers are currently tasked to the MITTs through a temporary change of station — not necessarily the best scenario, because it complicates personnel management, doesn’t provide for a backfill assignment when that soldier leaves his unit, and allows no flexibility in follow-on assignments.

The Army is looking at switching the mission from a tasking to a formal assignment, according to Army G-3 Chief of War Plans Col. James L. Boling, who said that by the end of September, assignment to a MITT will look more like a one-year tour in South Korea, with a permanent change-of-station status and a guaranteed follow-on assignment.

The details are being worked on at Human Resources Command and Army headquarters, Boling said, noting that a PCS move wouldn’t be a solution for Reserve and National Guard soldiers who serve on MITTs.

The soldiers selected for MITTs are tasked for a full year. While their tour of duty in Iraq could be less than that, it would be an exception to the 365-day base the Army has adopted for the sake of mission continuity.

When that soldier finishes his year on the MITT, for which he receives the same combat pays every soldier in the war zone gets, he returns to his original post.

Eagle5US
02-04-2006, 10:32
It won't be long before someone uses this as one of the credo's for "I was on a team in Irag-training hadji-that should count as OJT for my long-tab".
It is going to be intersting for regular Infantry types to try and work without their extensive BN support network to try and train these folks-since I haven't been-I don't know if language with the Iraqis is an issue, but would think that it might be.

The fatal flaw in this may be that (once again), the Army sees a good model (SF doing the job they were trained to do) and they mistakenly think "Hey-those 12 guys did it, grab some fellas from over there, they should be able to do it too" with no thought process behind the 1/4 of a million dollars in specialized training the SF bubbas have.

The good thing is that maybe it will free up some SF folks to do other stuff I guess. Either way-there is probably going to be some special designator or badge coming down the road for it. After all-it won't qualify for the CIB/CMB (and now CAB), so those poor bubbas will feel left out and lonely. The "combat Trainers Badge" should be authorized in short order.

Here at Lewis I treated an NCO from the Stryker brigade in the ED yesterday and guess what-
He relayed his command was "putting the final information together to submit to DA for a STRYKER TAB:rolleyes:

Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
02-04-2006, 13:35
If I'm not mistaken, there were some non-SF advisors to Vietnamese conventional units during that conflict as well.

Stryker tab, Sapper tab - SF need to go back to awarding the hat and just let that be it. I never liked the tab thing anyway.

LOL - the dog handlers here have a Canino tab.

And just for the record, I don't like the saying "Cast or tab", nothing against whomever invented it. Shows a lack of commitment as far as I'm concerned.

brewmonkey
02-04-2006, 14:05
Stryker tab?

BMT (RIP)
02-04-2006, 14:32
Just like the old MACV MATA concept from RVN. Looks like more men on a team. Maybe this time they'll have better commo.

Will the MATA course be started again at Bragg. The MM shouldn't have as much FAT in the sand as in the '60's.

BMT

QRQ 30
02-04-2006, 15:07
SF need to go back to awarding the hat

Just for the record that was never done in my day. :D I was awarded "3" and later it was changed to "S". I have my Form 20 and DD-214 and the beret is never mentioned on either. JFK authorized the wear but it is a part of the uniform, not an award.:D

Don't get pissed, I'm just being technical.

A

mffjm8509
02-04-2006, 16:24
I read the article in the Army Times last week.

I had the opportunity to work wtih 2 different MiTT teams while deployed last year. They were primarily in place to train the Staff at Battalion and higher levels, but do accompany the units on combat operations. More like an OC than anything, there to assist in planning, advise during the operations, and integrate into the conventional Brigades assets. All of these IA Battalions fell under a US Brigade Commander. There were NO MiTTs accompanying with Company and below elements conduction operations at that time.

I thought it would be a good program once running. Unfortunately it had to be staffed with exsisting staff officers out of maneuver units in sector. This meant that the Battalion Commanders chose who they would keep on thier staff and who would be sliced away to work with the IA/IPs. One of the two units selected competent leadership and was very successful, the other just lost some dead weight and had a much harder time.

mp

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-04-2006, 21:20
It won't be long before someone uses this as one of the credo's for "I was on a team in Irag-training hadji-that should count as OJT for my long-tab".

Eagle

Well seeing as how FID is one of the four major missions perhaps they can be awarded 1/4th of a TAB.

Now I don't want anyone getting their polypropylene in a knot but this whole tab business was a bunch of crap from the beginning. The only thing the tab does for you is keep you a little drier under the tab when it rains. When did we go from being the quiet professionals to fashion models? I can remember how rediculous this all was when it came out. First it was an affront to the force if you wore your Ranger tab and not your SF tab because you could not wear both at the same time. I mean we had general officers who went ballistic when they saw an SF guy with a Ranger tab and not the SF tab! I find it very amusing that most of the time when deployed we go stripped down without rank, tabs, berets, and every other accoutramont associated with identifying ourselves as SF soldiers. Then we got into the all the nonsense of the metal badges, the precedence of what you could wear, how many of them you could wear, and on what uniforms you could and could not wear them. It is kind of like the air assault badge. You want to know how that really came about. When the 101st started converting from Airborne to Airmobile the CG at the time wanted a way to "boost morale" by allowing the two leg brigades to be able to blouse their boots with their class A's like us folk in the Airborne Brigade. So the deal was to come up with a "qualification" with a subsequent award to make it happen. Hence was born the air assault badge and course. Trouble was all the airborne folks that bothered to go through the program passed it and got the award and many of the legs didn't. My point is that "bloused boots" signified a "warrior ethos" of the paratrooper and those that could not be paratroopers wanted to be recognized, albeit at a distance, as paratroopers. There was nothing of significant value behind the award or the ability to wear bloused boots other than to make someone feel good about him/herself. That is kind of the way that I look at tabs, when I even bother to look. They signify a past achievement and not necessarily the present measure of the wearer. Just my .02.

QRQ 30
02-04-2006, 21:27
We used to laugh at the zoomies and all of their ribbons. Now the army has followed suit and compete with the scouts and their merit badges.

Frankly people can plaster badges, tabs, medals etc from toe to hat but all I see and recognize are medals for valor.

NousDefionsDoc
02-04-2006, 21:46
On a different but related note, ever notice how the less effective a country is at fighting the louder their uniforms and the longer their national anthem?

QRQ 30
02-04-2006, 21:50
On a different but related note, ever notice how the less effective a country is at fighting the louder their uniforms

Things ain't looking too good then.:(

NousDefionsDoc
02-04-2006, 21:52
No, I mean like Phrance.