PDA

View Full Version : Change to 18x!?!?!

Nuke
01-17-2006, 22:35
I went to the recruiter today to get all my dates worked out for taking the ASVAB, physical, and so on. The first thing the recruiter said was that they are doing away with the 18x program. He wasn't even sure if they still had it so I couldn't start the paperwork. The reason he gave was that they pretty much only take those with military experience. As a result only about 5% of the 18x's are making it through the whole way these days. This goes against everything else I've read here.

Has anyone else heard of this or is this guy full of it?

P.S. This is my first thread, if I did something wrong feel free to educate me. :)

Huey14
01-17-2006, 23:44
Recruiters the world over have a habit of...fogging the truth. Perhaps that's what's happened here? Don't take that as a definative answer, of course.

Kyobanim
01-18-2006, 04:10
This has come up several times here in the last couple of years. Find new recruiter.

Peregrino
01-18-2006, 10:19
Sounds like he needs some more truck drivers to meet his quota this month. Find another recruiter. Peregrino

Nuke
01-18-2006, 11:22
I agree, he kept trying to get me to go in as an officer. I don't think coming off the street and going in as a SF officer is the best idea. That's one where you want experience for sure! Besides, they don't offer it probably for those reasons. He kept trying to get me to go in as an Engineer. I'm sticking to my guns.

18C Dad
01-18-2006, 11:58
I spoke this morning with the recruiter who signed up my son for the 18X program and asked if he had heard about it. He said no (and laughed) but did say they were no longer taking kids right out of high school into the program. He thought you had to be a bit older (than high school senior) and it "some college wouldn't hurt." He said the attrition rate for those 18X kids right out of high school was very high.

18X Dad

mrob
01-18-2006, 13:42
From www.google.com to www.armyranger.com, I found this:

18X age requirement (http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18759&sid=3a5c4d11b54eae565c00149d790072ff)

longtab
01-18-2006, 17:18
Well... I wouldn't take "no" for an answer. In fact... SF is just that, a group of guys who never take "no" for an answer.

Pete
01-18-2006, 19:26
Well... I wouldn't take "no" for an answer. In fact... SF is just that, a group of guys who never take "no" for an answer.

Not all No's are equal.

Depends on who says "No". After your Team Sergeant cuts you "the eye" and says "I said NO" that pretty much does mean No.

Anybody else and No just means take another approach.

Pete

Doc
01-18-2006, 19:33
Anybody else and No just means take another approach.

Pete

Words I live by.

Doc

The Reaper
01-18-2006, 19:37
I agree, he kept trying to get me to go in as an officer. I don't think coming off the street and going in as a SF officer is the best idea. That's one where you want experience for sure! Besides, they don't offer it probably for those reasons. He kept trying to get me to go in as an Engineer. I'm sticking to my guns.

You cannot "go in as a SF officer".

TR

Nuke
01-18-2006, 22:35
TR, When I said he kept trying to put me in as an officer I didn't mean as a SF officer. He though EOD or Engineering might "be better suited to what I'm looking for." I'd rather be a 18C myself.

I stuck to my guns and they seem to be on board now. They started some of the paperwork finally. I take the ASVAB Monday. Unfortunately I have a final design review all next week at work (yuck) so that’s all I'll be able to do until the end of the month.

In the recruiters’ defense, here in Albuquerque they deal with a lot of kids that mess with them. The night before I take my physical I have to stay in a hotel about 2 miles from where I live because they've been stood up too many times. I don't envy their jobs! I say if they aren't motivated enough to get up 5 a.m. than they shouldn't be joining.

Ray

You cannot "go in as a SF officer".

TR