PDA

View Full Version : Upper Body Ideas

jatx
01-15-2006, 20:43
Late last summer, I took a hard fall off of a ledge on my mountain bike and banged my wrist up pretty good. I went to the hospital in Gunnison, near where I was staying, and was told that I had probably dislocated my thumb and injured some ligaments and tendons. I was advised to stay off it for a couple of months and take anti-inflammatories.

Well, that was five months ago and I have been swimming about 2 miles 4x per week for the past three months with only mild pain. I've just been sucking it up and driving on. However, I was doing Turkish Get-Ups with my KB last week and the pain got a LOT worse. I had new x-rays taken today and it appears that my navicular bone is in three pieces and I have a 1 cm crack in my radius! :eek:

I'm having some pins inserted later this week, and will obviously not be able to swim again for awhile. For cardio, I have the option to substitute running, stationary bike, etc., though, so I'm not too worried.

Any thoughts on things I could do to maintain upper body strength without stressing my wrist while it heals? I have made great gains in the past year and don't want to lose more ground than necessary...

Thanks guys...

one-zero
01-15-2006, 20:59
How about using bands/rubber tubing??? maybe w/some sort of velcro strapping to anchor to your forearm vice hands/wrists.
I've put a total of 10 seconds of thought into this response, just thinking what I'd do if I couldn't use the hands.
FWIW/
1-0

jatx
01-18-2006, 12:10
How about using bands/rubber tubing??? maybe w/some sort of velcro strapping to anchor to your forearm vice hands/wrists.
I've put a total of 10 seconds of thought into this response, just thinking what I'd do if I couldn't use the hands.
FWIW/
1-0

Hmm, that's a pretty good idea. I can picture how I might do bicep curls, tricep extensions, various rows and flys. I'll report back on how it works - doubt I'm the first here to face this kind of challenge. ;)