PDA

View Full Version : Movie - The Great Raid

NousDefionsDoc
01-08-2006, 09:44
I just finished watching it for the first time.

The story of the 6th Ranger Battalion and Filipino troops raid to rescue POWs in Cabanatuan.

I thought it was a pretty good movie that didn't do a bad job of telling a great story.

While they touched on most of the key players, being Hollywood they had to chickify it and spend a lot of time on the tragic love story.

All in all, I think it is worth adding to the DVD collection.

rubberneck
01-08-2006, 10:17
I just finished watching it for the first time.

The story of the 6th Ranger Battalion and Filipino troops raid to rescue POWs in Cabanatuan.

I thought it was a pretty good movie that didn't do a bad job of telling a great story.

While they touched on most of the key players, being Hollywood they had to chickify it and spend a lot of time on the tragic love story.

All in all, I think it is worth adding to the DVD collection.

I haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet but will shortly. Spielberg was in talks to make this movie when another studio beat him to the punch. For as good as this movie was it probably would have been better with Spielberg calling the shots.

As a side not If you still have the DVD take a good look at the cover. One of the guys is carrying a Berretta 92. Gotta love Hollywood.:rolleyes:

Roguish Lawyer
01-08-2006, 12:59
I liked it too. Something to watch on video, not at the theater, IMO.

ABN_FO
01-08-2006, 15:08
I thought it was going to be more action... but overall i liked it

NousDefionsDoc
01-09-2006, 08:06
There wasn't a lot of action to be shown - they went in, kicked their ass and got off the objective. Of course the film makers could have shown some of their training leading up to be taksed, like in Gung Ho. I need three more movies and I think we can have movie night for the Little People.

eva05
01-09-2006, 17:11
Saw this one with my Dad at the theaters when it came out earlier this year.

It was ok. I had read Ghost Soldiers at an airport a year or two ago so I realized going in that the story wasn't going to be a all guns blazing fire fight but I felt like we never got to know the men who were going into battle very well. Instead they chose to dwell on the love story side of things...was that even true or added on?

I don't recall it being in the book but...

Makes me wish for a film about Son Tay. It seems like there are a lot of the men who participated in the raid are still alive, except for Bull Simon :(

j

NousDefionsDoc
01-09-2006, 17:35
I agree that Son Tay would make a great movie. Also SOG.

Spartan359
01-09-2006, 18:36
I agree that Son Tay would make a great movie. Also SOG.

They would have to get a hell of a director to do justice for those movies. The things you gentlemen have done far surpass anything a Hollywood director could think of. :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
01-09-2006, 19:03
Not me man, I'm still young and pretty...:cool:

Yeah, I don't know who would direct it, John Ford is dead I believe. And how would you pick which op to show? The movie would have to be days long. Maybe a Band of Brothers-type mini-series would be the ticket. Brad Pitt could play the young AM. Excuse me, I'm going to run away now...

Smokin Joe
01-09-2006, 21:53
Not me man, I'm still young and pretty...:cool:

Yeah, I don't know who would direct it, John Ford is dead I believe. And how would you pick which op to show? The movie would have to be days long. Maybe a Band of Brothers-type mini-series would be the ticket. Brad Pitt could play the young AM. Excuse me, I'm going to run away now...

That would be incredible.