Ambush Master
01-04-2006, 23:26
GO-HORNS!!!!

Texas...........KICKED USC's ASS!!!!

Later!!
Martin

JMH85
01-04-2006, 23:28
Texas Wins!!! 41-38 with Vince Young running a TD to win with seconds to go.

460 yeards goes to Vince Young, setting a new Bowl record.

To bad I had to work and missed the game. I'll try to catch the highlights on ESPN tonight.

John

The Reaper
01-04-2006, 23:33
I thought that it was a helluva effort.

I was a bit disappointed with Matt Leinart's postgame comment, "Well, we were the better team, but we just didn't get it done tonight."

Frankly, I would like to see the same teams play again a few times. Very well matched.

TR

mumbleypeg
01-04-2006, 23:39
That is what a college bowl game should be.

Sdiver
01-04-2006, 23:52
Should we put R.L. on a suicide watch ???:munchin

The Reaper
01-05-2006, 00:01
I spoke with him during halftime.

He did not seem really happy, for some reason.:munchin

TR

Roguish Lawyer
01-05-2006, 01:56
Just got back from the game. Of course I'm disappointed that we lost, but at least it was a good game. We made too many mistakes and I did not like some of the coaching decisions, but we still almost won. We just couldn't stop Vince Young. He was incredible tonight. Man among boys. I'd seriously think about drafting him ahead of Leinart.

Congrats to Texas. Well-deserved national title.

Bill Harsey
01-05-2006, 08:25
Damned Texans.

They deserved to win. Good job.

Goggles Pizano
01-05-2006, 09:01
JMH you might want to find a tape of the entire game-it was that good. Congratulations to Texas that was a hell of a performance!

NousDefionsDoc
01-05-2006, 09:41
Where's RL?

QRQ 30
01-05-2006, 12:13
GO-HORNS!!!!

Texas...........KICKED USC's ASS!!!!

Later!!
Martin

That's a gross exageration if I ever saw one.:confused:

I believe they won with 18 seconds to go.:boohoo

rubberneck
01-05-2006, 12:33
I was a bit disappointed with Matt Leinart's postgame comment, "Well, we were the better team, but we just didn't get it done tonight."

Frankly, I would like to see the same teams play again a few times. Very well matched.

TR

I caught that too and lost a lot of respect for Leinart for it. It is easy to be gracious when your kicking sand in everyone's faces, but the mark of a pro is to do it when you're on the short end of the stick.

As to the game itself in 30 years of following college football that was the best NC game since Turner Gill and Irving Fryer failed to connect on a two point conversion against Miami back in 1983.

NousDefionsDoc
01-05-2006, 13:13
It looked like Canadian or arena football to me. Doesn't anyone play defense anymore?

QRQ 30
01-05-2006, 14:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Where's RL?

Probably sending a protest to the NCAA in reference to the officiating. The way I see it the final score was: USC 38 - UT 27 - Officials !4.

It was a great game and both sides performed up to the hype. Its a shame the game was decided by the refs. That's the way basketball has gone and it looks like football follows.

I feel the key was USC failing to convert on 4th and 2. Actually they had three shots at it. The coach said he went for it because it didn't much matter where UT got the ball. They were rolling at that time. He went to White who is his money man and he was stopped.

The Horns won a tough game but there is no reason to gloat.

Leinart lost points on TV whining that USC was the better team. That was a huge loss of class IMO.

NOTE:

I tried to move this from Rose Bowl since we have two similar threads going but ab gefucht!!:o

Roguish Lawyer
01-05-2006, 19:22
I haven't watched it on TiVo yet, but I was disappointed by Pete Carroll's performance on that last drive -- he had a dime package out there for most of the drive, displacing some of the best defensive athletes on the team (especially linebackers) with third- and fourth-string defensive players (USC lost several top DBs early in the season). When the game is on the line, you should put your best guys out there and give them a chance to make plays.

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff you could Monday-morning-QB, but the fact is that we got beat by a team that was better that day. This was not 2 out of 3, so congrats to Vince Young and Texas.

JGarcia
01-05-2006, 20:08
In football you have to be lucky as well as good. There were two bad calls during the game, but thats football. This time the calls were in favor of Texas, next time who knows.

1st blown call, pitching the ball whilst the receiver was down on his knee.

2nd blown call, not a fumble recovered by USC after the Texas receiver had the ball stripped from his hands.

That accounts for 10 points for texas. But you have to be lucky as well as good in football, thats just the nature of the beast.

Congratulations Texas.

Fight on Trojans!!!

The Reaper
01-05-2006, 20:11
Hey, NG_M4_Shooter, are you the same guy who had this offer and prognostication?

Texas fans, I'll give you 20 pts... your football team is inferior. This will be a boring game.

TR

JGarcia
01-05-2006, 20:30
Yes, and I am eating a big portion of humble pie right now.

QRQ 30
01-05-2006, 20:57
I can agree with RL on the coaching. The UT coach won or the USC coach lost that battle. Two points come to mind. He should have called a time out on the "recovered Fumble" to give the refs time to think about and lobby his side for a video review. There is no red hanky for college coaches to throw. They have to convince the refs to review. As quickly as UT lined up and started the PAT it is apparent that the UT coach had an idea of which way the review would go.

On the last series USC should have punted. I understand the coach's reasoning but the further they put the Horns from the goal the longer it could have taken UT to score. IIRC there were 18 seconds on the clock when they scored.

I won't be too hard on the refs. They have limited lines of sight and one shot and things in real time happen in an instant. I think too much video review is being used in the NFL. They may as well just play video games. I bitch but prefer more of the human factor. That's why I prefer college ball.

Speaking of Pro ball I heard that Leinart only took one class this quarter for graduation -- ballroom dancing.:rolleyes:

JRV3
01-06-2006, 08:53
I'll agree that the refs were terrible, but there were also bad calls that went against Texas. The biggest one that comes to mind is the "interception" that Texas had against Leinart in the 1st half on USC's 30 yard line. The Texas player caught the ball, had control, and when he hit the ground, the ball came out. In college football, the ground can't cause a fumble and it should've been Texas' ball at the spot where the ball came out. If anybody has any info on why this play wasn't even reviewed, let me know. It was weird, the announcers didn't even mention it when it happened and it was so obvious the Texas' DB had control of the ball before he hit the ground.

Also, there was blatant holding happening all night, probably on both sides, but since I am biased, I think it was mostly USC. :D

With all the imperfections, it was an awesome game - I wish I could lose my memory for the past few days and watch it again!

jon448
01-06-2006, 11:16
It was an amazing game, and this coming from someone who usually doesn't appreciate college football.
Although Young was amazing I don't think he'll make an outstanding pro. Just look at someone with similar abilities, Vick, and see what he's done... close to nothing. Hell maybe I'll be proven wrong and I hope I do because Young seems like a great kid, and an awesome leader.
Leinart's comments made me lose a lot of the respect I gained for the kid by him staying at school to finish his career. They remind me of what the Colts and Steelers always seem to say when the Pats beat them in the playoffs.:D

QRQ 30
01-06-2006, 11:28
Vick done nothing??? Look at the Falcon's win/loss record with him in the game vs. not in the game. Young seems to have the leadership skills of Peyton Manning combined with physical skills of Vick.

Leinart took one class to graduate, ball room dancing.:rolleyes: He could have done that in the off season. I think he stayed hoping to garner a #1 pick but that may have gone with the wind.:boohoo

jon448
01-06-2006, 12:12
Sorry QRQ I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one(the Vick thing). Yes the Falcons win/loss record is much better with him in the game and yes he is an exciting player to watch. However, he's not a "good" quarterback. I mean while his running adds a whole new dimension to the game, his passing is horrendous. I believe that he was somewhere in the mid 70s with his passer rating which is near the bottom of the starting QBs in the league.
Maybe I'm too harsh on the guy but he still has not become the QB that his talent would allow him to be and he's been in the league for at least 5 years. Plus he hasn't shown the ability to truly carry a team like the elite QBs in the league can ie Brady, Peyton. I'm just saying I think he's extremely overrated and hasn't done that much in the league as a whole other then make some fantastic highlight films.

NousDefionsDoc
01-07-2006, 07:22
I'm with jon. Vick isn't a quarterback. Very gifted and has a lot of talent, but QB ain't his position. He can't throw the ball any better than any 3rd stringer in the league.

The Reaper
01-07-2006, 09:00
Well now Vick's brother is unemployed and a college drop-out as well.

Sounds like he would fit right in in Minnesota with the Vikings.

TR