PDA

View Full Version : ASI & SQI?

Hoohah
01-02-2006, 15:45
Hello. Well before I ask my question I'll like to tell you a little about myself.

Well I'm (recently) a student in a vocational school (Job Corps). At the moment

I'm getting in the habit of doing cardio/areobics/calisthetics work-outs. My main

goal is to enlist in the US Army & earning that Green Beret. But before I'll even

consider going through the pipeline (because I truly believe that an SF Soldier

is "THE ALPHA SOLDIER" and therefore [I believe] he should have a "pretty"

solid base of experience within the conventional forces. So my "plan" is to take

a good three years of "learning the ropes". I would love to go through various

units such as [in order] 3rd ID (Mech), 1st Bn. 504th PIR 1st Brgd. 82nd ABN.

DIV., 1st [Ranger] Bn. 75th Ranger Regiment (ABN), & then [if possible] through

all the SF Groups. [In order] 5th, 10th, 1st, SFD-K, 7th & 3rd.):eek:

Well my question is [nothing "important"] about the Additional Skills Identifiers

& the Special Qualification Identifiers. I mean are they simiular to the CMF's &

MOS's. Ex. The SQI=CMF & ASI=MOS.

Another ex. lets say *W7-- Special Forces Underwater Operations which is an

ASI & *W Special Forces Advanced Reconnaissance, Target Analysis and

Exploitation Techniques which is an SQI in "cojutes":confused:

Another question is 11B has the ASI of *W7 & *W8 (the ones I'ved mentioned

above). Now isn't that for SF only. Or they mean if an 11B is in the 75th

Ranger Regiment (ABN).:confused:

I appoligize for this being really long.:eek:

The Reaper
01-02-2006, 16:00
You will be lucky to get through basic with the lack of attention and situational awareness you have shown here.:rolleyes:

You really do need to go back and read ALL of the stickies and Intros before posting further.

Did Santa hand out stupid pills in the all of the bad boys' stockings this year?

To do all of this, you would have to have the SF Assignments Branch Chief as your Mom, and the Schools NCO as your wife.

Sounds more like you are building a Resume and badge collection than being an SF soldier. Some of the best SF NCOs I know never went to any schools after the SFQC but career schools, and some of them never left the same Group they started in.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-02-2006, 16:05
My main

goal is to enlist in the US Army & earning that Green Beret. :

Why?

It sounds more like your main goal is to sample every unit in the Army like a Best Western Buffet meal. You realize, of course, that if you follow your desired path of units you wish to be assigned to that you will older than Methusala before you even apply for SFAS? You need to hone your goals a little and decide what exactly you want to do.

As far as your basic question. The Military Occupational Specialty is basic building block that identifies your CMF and current grade in the service. The ASI and SQIs are appended to the MOS that identify special skills associated with your training and qualifications. For instance the CMF 18 identifies Special Forces, the A,B,C,D, E, identify the type basic skill you carry (officer, wpns, engineer, medical, communications) additional information is provided with numbers that indicates grade and the ASI indicates the special skills you have due to training/schooling/experience. The ASIs are not normally MOS specific but there are requirements and requisite qualifications a soldier must have to take the training that will allow him to be awarded an ASI. W7 and W8 are not limited to SF. There is a whole military publication devoted to this and this is about as down and dirty as I can make it in this short period of time and space.

Kyobanim
01-02-2006, 18:47
Did Santa hand out stupid pills in the all of the bad boys' stockings this year?
LMAO! :D

There is a whole military publication devoted to this and this is about as down and dirty as I can make it in this short period of time and space. The link to the afore mentioned web page has been posted on this site several times.

The search button works wonders here and will definately become your friend.