PDA

View Full Version : Functions Check

JoeL87
12-31-2005, 11:35
I've googled this topic a few times, but am unable to find what a good Functions check time should be. The FM's I've read have said 6 minutes, but that seems entirely to long. I've also been told that to be competitive your time should be 2 minutes. I was wondering what some of the times for the the Functions check where in your ODA's and what I should shoot for. Thank you.

JL

NousDefionsDoc
12-31-2005, 11:42
What ever are you talking about?

JoeL87
12-31-2005, 11:48
The Functions check performed on the M-16 after disassembly and reassembly. Did I use the wrong term?

NousDefionsDoc
12-31-2005, 12:03
No, but why would you worry about timing it?

JoeL87
12-31-2005, 12:12
Now that I think about it I really don't know. I was just told that you should do it as fast but as accurately as possible.

The Reaper
12-31-2005, 12:34
For just a function check, I'd say 10 seconds at worst, six seconds is good.

If you are taking over a minute, you need to turn in your weapon and draw a club. This is an EIB task.

Start with a reassembled cleared weapon.

SAFE
Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector on SAFE. Pull the trigger, and the hammer should not fall.

SEMI
Place the selector on SEMI. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear. The hammer should fall. Continue to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear, and release it, Release the trigger with a slow, smooth motion until the trigger is fully forward. The hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger. The hammer should fall.

AUTO
Place the selector on AUTO. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear; the hammer should fall. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Release the trigger and pull it again; the hammer should not fall.

or

BURST
Place the selector lever on BURST. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger and hold to the rear; the hammer should fall. Pull the charging handle to the rear three times and release. Release the trigger and pull it again; the hammer should fall.

Function test is complete.

This is easily found via Google, you need remedial training on your search skills:

Perform a function check on an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine series / Load / Correct Malfunction / Unload

Station G - M16 SERIES RIFLE OR M4 CARBINE - Point G-1

TASKS: 1. Perform a function check on an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine series.

2. Load an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine.

3. Correct malfunctions on an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine.

4. Unload an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine.

TEST CONDITIONS: Given an assembled M16 series rifle or M4 carbine and a magazine loaded with four blank rounds and one dummy, expended, or inert round.

TEST STANDARDS:

1. Perform function check on the weapon (in sequence).

2. Correctly load the weapon for semiautomatic fire.

3. Apply immediate action.

4. Unload the weapon.

NOTE: Clearing the weapon is an integral part of unloading the weapon; the candidate must clear the weapon in order to pass this point.

5. Complete test standards 2 through 4 within 30 seconds.

SOLDIER'S MANUAL CROSSWALK: This task is based on the following tasks in STP 21 1 SMCT: 071 311 2027, 071 311 2028, and 071 311 2029, and FM 23-9. The candidate will perform all three tasks in one sequence. He will not stop after one task before he continues to the next.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR POINT: An M16 series rifle or M4 carbine with magazine; four blank rounds of ammunition (for each candidate), dummy, inert, expended, or blank rounds; field table; clipboard; stopwatch; pencils; and FB Form 20 22 R.

SITE SETUP: Provide field tables on which to lay the M16 series rifle or M4 carbine. Ensure the site affords a safe area for firing blank ammunition. Also provide at this site a container to collect expended blanks.

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES: Say to the candidates--

"Let me have your attention. At this point you must perform a function check, load, correct a malfunction, and unload an M16 series rifle or M4 carbine. You have received an assembled M16 series rifle or an M4 carbine and a magazine loaded with four blank rounds and one inert round.

"When I say 'BEGIN,' you will perform a function check, which will not be timed. Then you will load the rifle, chamber a round, fire the rounds until a stoppage occurs, apply immediate action, expend remaining ammunition, then unload and clear the M16 series rifle or M4 carbine, all within 30 seconds. Do you understand what you must do?"

If anyone has questions, repeat the instructions but do not elaborate on what you have read.

Pause for five seconds and then say--

"BEGIN."

Allow the candidate to proceed for 30 seconds and then say--

“STOP.”

TR

JoeL87
12-31-2005, 12:50
I'm sorry I was unclear. I put just the Functions check,when I meant to include disassemply and reassembly, for the time constraints. Thank you though.

NoRoadtrippin
01-09-2006, 20:11
As new as I am, I'm taking a real risk by posting I know. That said....

I can personally take down, reasemble and functions check an M16A2 in about 55 seconds on good day. I've seen it done in less than 40 seconds. That includes removing the handguards and tearing the bolt carrier all the way down. It does not include removing the extractor pin or the extractor from the bolt itself.

However, I also don't know why a fast time is all that important. In cadet land we do it as an event for a competition we have each fall between schools.

Smokin Joe
01-09-2006, 21:51
NoRoadTrippin,

Please locate the Introduction II thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9143&page=12) and post an introduction.

Ambush Master
01-09-2006, 22:11
As new as I am, I'm taking a real risk by posting I know. That said....

You haven't a CLUE!!!!

Take SJ's advice, Read and HEED, then after posting a satisfactory Intro, maybe we'll see what other pearls of wisdom you have to offer!!! I personally have been "working/Playing" with this system for TWICE as long as you have been ALIVE!!!

Be advised, this would be a very good point in time for you to REMOVE your HEAD from your Fourth POINT OF CONTACT and realize that this IS NOT an airsoft FORUM!!!

Carry on, I'll be in the area this evening!!

Thanks SJ!!

Later
Martin

VelociMorte
01-10-2006, 07:35
... I also don't know why a fast time is all that important. In cadet land we do it as an event for a competition we have each fall between schools.

Did your instructor happen to mention why you may want or need a functioning weapon? If so, the time factor should be glaringly obvious. If not, I'll spell it out for you:

In the Real Military, at some point, there is a really good chance that real people will be firing real bullets at you and trying their very best to really kill you. If your weapon breaks, you'll want to fix it really fast. It would really suck to get killed because your $6.00 extractor broke and you found yourself in a firefight with a club for a weapon.

Team Sergeant
01-10-2006, 09:03
I'm sorry I was unclear. I put just the Functions check,when I meant to include disassemply and reassembly, for the time constraints. Thank you though.

And you assume the members of the US Army Special Forces had nothing better to do but to assist you in your difficult endeavor?

Listen up sugar-pants, next time you ask a "stupid" question I’ll ban you. In fact I don’t want to see you post for at least four months in which time I expect you to read every thread and post on this board. And the next time someone asks a question as stupid or as basic as your "Functions Check" I'll expect you to step up and answer it before "we" do, we being the "Quiet Professionals".

Understand?

If you feel the need to have your hand held or your nose wiped please feel free to visit another military board.

The Team Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Special Forces
(ret)

Gene Econ
01-10-2006, 09:28
If your weapon breaks, you'll want to fix it really fast. It would really suck to get killed because your $6.00 extractor broke and you found yourself in a firefight with a club for a weapon.

VM:

Are you implying that guys will carry spare small parts on their body armor somewhere and while under fire they will disassemble their weapon and replace these small parts?

I can't recall when I ever saw a extractor, ejector, or firing pin on an issued M-16 series of weapons give up the ghost while shooting. Provided the unit followed Army maintenance schedules and regulations. If one of these parts breaks while in a fire fight -- I figure the guy is SOL and needs to get a weapon that works in his hands.

That other fellow was fishing for an answer he should have looked up on the Reimer Library or gone to his PMS for. TR gave him an answer. TR must be in a good mood.

Gene

HOLLiS
01-10-2006, 09:53
It seems to me, when lead/bullets start to fly, there is all of a sudden a surplus of firearms that are available.

VelociMorte
01-10-2006, 10:42
VM:

Are you implying that guys will carry spare small parts on their body armor somewhere and while under fire they will disassemble their weapon and replace these small parts?

I can't recall when I ever saw a extractor, ejector, or firing pin on an issued M-16 series of weapons give up the ghost while shooting. Provided the unit followed Army maintenance schedules and regulations. If one of these parts breaks while in a fire fight -- I figure the guy is SOL and needs to get a weapon that works in his hands.

That other fellow was fishing for an answer he should have looked up on the Reimer Library or gone to his PMS for. TR gave him an answer. TR must be in a good mood.

Gene

Gene, my experience under fire is very limited, I can't speak for what other guys carry, and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes...but I personally carry a small parts kit (pins, springs, extractor, firing pin)for the M16 when I go down range, even though "officially", I can only carry a sidearm. I also carry a bunch of other crap that I'll probably never need like sutures, water purifcation tablets, a wire saw, a button compass, strobe, etc.... all of that fits in one ammo pouch and weighs less than a pound. It's the kind of stuff I'll probably never need, but it just gives me a warm-fuzzy to have it. Murphy's Law dictates that the day I don't have it is the day I'll need it.

NoRoadtrippin
01-12-2006, 11:29
You haven't a CLUE!!!!

Take SJ's advice, Read and HEED, then after posting a satisfactory Intro, maybe we'll see what other pearls of wisdom you have to offer!!! I personally have been "working/Playing" with this system for TWICE as long as you have been ALIVE!!!

Be advised, this would be a very good point in time for you to REMOVE your HEAD from your Fourth POINT OF CONTACT and realize that this IS NOT an airsoft FORUM!!!

Carry on, I'll be in the area this evening!!

Thanks SJ!!

Later
Martin

I apologize for not posting an intro first.

Who said anything about this being an Airsoft forum? He just asked for a time and I submitted one. I didnt mean to brag or seem arrogant.