PDA

View Full Version : The Jedburghs

Weazle23
12-26-2005, 15:10
I picked up "The Jedburghs" by Lt. Col. Will Irwin (Ret) as a gift to my dad for Christmas. He's quite anxious to read it and noticed that the author appears to have signed it in blue ink inside on the title page. I bought it at Bragg's clothing and sales in the mini-mall so I figured the signature might be authentic. Does anyone know if the author truly signed copies of the book to be sold? I'm also curious if anyone has read the book and what they think of it.
thanks.

Cincinnatus
01-01-2006, 15:11
I read it and would recommend it, but while I enjoyed it I was also disappointed. It's a good book, but not a great one and the subject deserves a great book. The author's research seems first rate, and his military (SF) background lends itself to the telling (i.e., he makes no mistakes in nomenclature or tactics, none that I caught anyway), but the writing is a bit wooden.

D9 (RIP)
01-22-2006, 21:30
I picked up "The Jedburghs" by Lt. Col. Will Irwin (Ret) as a gift to my dad for Christmas. He's quite anxious to read it and noticed that the author appears to have signed it in blue ink inside on the title page. I bought it at Bragg's clothing and sales in the mini-mall so I figured the signature might be authentic. Does anyone know if the author truly signed copies of the book to be sold? I'm also curious if anyone has read the book and what they think of it.
thanks.

Yes, he was there signing copies one Friday shortly before Christmas. I had meant to go and get a copy signed but we were cut loose on exodus already, so I had already left town. I'm sure it is a signed copy.

I'm about halfway done with this (I have the unabridged audiobook on my IPod) - and at least in audiobook form it is a good read (listen?) as far as historical non-fiction goes. I don't share the opinion that it is poorly written, at least not by the standard of similar works within its genre.

Six hours in the car on Sunday literally melted away over the first five chapters of this book. I hope the second half is as good.

Cincinnatus
02-02-2006, 13:43
D9,

In fairness, I said that "the writing was a bit wooden" which is not quite the same as calling it "poorly written." To my mind, it read like a text book when it could have been a truly thrilling recounting of extraordinary real world heroism. It had to take some serious stones to parachute into occupied France and I didn't think the author did a great job of putting the reader in the place of the guys going in.

Most of the faculty of the high school I went to were retired military officers who had served in WWII, and while non were, to my knowledge OSS, one led a recon platoon that linked up with OSS led Maquis. I found their stories were far more thrilling than those told in "Jedburgh." While some of this is, no doubt, due to my have been seventeen when first hearing them, I think the criticism is still apt.

There have been a number of good books written about the OSS, and the exploits of these men. I keep hoping for a great book.

Tom Odom
02-21-2006, 15:10
There is a downloadable study on the Combat Studies/CGSC Press page on the Jedburgs in support of 12th Army Group. Dr SJ Lewis--my room mate for 2+ years--wrote it. Sam has a formal writing style which makes it a somewhat dry read. But he spent years putting it together. He was command historian for JFKSWC before he came to CSI in 1985.

Here is the link for HTML:

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/Lewis/Lewis.asp

And the link for PDF download:

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/lewis.pdf

I too hope someday fpr a great book.

Best

Tom

MtnGoat
02-21-2006, 20:41
I read this book just before December, great book. Author wrote to me in a different way. He didn't cover the same "old Stuff". I like they way he broke it down by the teams in the back too. Good maps and Photos too.

I had the chance during the dedication of Col Aaron Bank Hall in Nov 05 to run into three OSS members and one of the Partisan teams. Great time to sit back and talk to them and some of the historians there. These guy that wrote the book and SF and CIA during WWII. I even got a change to have some give autographs in the spots in the back of the book next to their names and teams members.

Great time was had.

If you can every attend a meeting of members like these and of any Era, go to it. I went to the WWII Memorial dedication in Washington D.C and the same thing there in the meeting tent.
Get around old times and just listen to them talk about there stories.

jatx
03-22-2006, 21:41
I just finished it, and found it to be very well written and thoroughly researched. It is clear that the subject became a real passion of Lt. Col Irwin's during his 20+ years of research and interviews prior to writing. In the epilogue, he states that he personally interviewed or had communications with 60 formers Jeds - what an incredible opportunity.

Someone should invite him to visit us here.

WhiskeyBoarder
07-08-2008, 18:15
Someone should invite him to visit us here.

Sorry for reviving this necro-post, but I just became aware that one of my peers in my NQP program is the author's son (and stud). During our next drill, I can direct him and, indirectly (but hopefully), his father to this site.

I'll keep you updated

Thanks.

greenberetTFS
07-09-2008, 11:19
D9,

In fairness, I said that "the writing was a bit wooden" which is not quite the same as calling it "poorly written." To my mind, it read like a text book when it could have been a truly thrilling recounting of extraordinary real world heroism. It had to take some serious stones to parachute into occupied France and I didn't think the author did a great job of putting the reader in the place of the guys going in.

Most of the faculty of the high school I went to were retired military officers who had served in WWII, and while non were, to my knowledge OSS, one led a recon platoon that linked up with OSS led Maquis. I found their stories were far more thrilling than those told in "Jedburgh." While some of this is, no doubt, due to my have been seventeen when first hearing them, I think the criticism is still apt.

There have been a number of good books written about the OSS, and the exploits of these men. I keep hoping for a great book.

Cincinnatus,

If your interested,the above mentioned book is available on my thead in this forum....It's a great book,maybe the one you've been looking for....

Teddy