PDA

View Full Version : OLD Alumni

TonyY
12-23-2005, 21:03
Just thinking were/are any of you 10th group 71-75? The only one I have heard from or have been in contact with in 30 years was my old team daddy and that was at the Vegas 2004 SFA reunion.

longrange1947
12-23-2005, 21:29
Co A, 3d Bn, 10th - ODA 313 in 74 - 76.

QRQ 30
12-23-2005, 22:42
ODA-2, 1965-1967 PHK.:D :lifter

TonyY
12-25-2005, 22:55
Rich and Terry I have listened and abosorbed your posts throughout the years. Thanks for the wisdom and knowlede you have past on to me and others. Old dogs are not as stubborn as people think and sometimes they acually do want to learn new things from the best of the best.

I was hoping I might hear from some team mates of the past. Ron D. Bobby C. Fred S. Kotlow, DeGregory, Youst, Fallone, Herbie, Carlise, Mott, etc. and any other guys of the past in C 3 10th and the ones I missed.

It's great how you can converse with the old and new guys here, but it would really be great for me to hear from those of the past that were on the same team and how we could ball bust each other day to day and still rely on one another when presented with a challedge. I hope they all made it big time over the years they desirve it.

Wow!! Reminising over the past. What becomes of me. I guess it's old age with a lot of respect.

Anyway stay safe and continue on the path of those that still are remembering. health and Happiness for the next year. God Bless.

QRQ 30
12-27-2005, 18:47
There was an SFC Kotlow in CoA, 10SFGA in 65-67. He had a huge nose, wore his beret like he was in the Polish Navy and included "Goddam" in every sentence at least once, like: "I be goddam sergeant in the goddam army goddam."

Could this be the same person. I believe he retired as an E-9.

longrange1947
12-27-2005, 20:48
I think he was a MSG in 69 or 70. His english wasn't quite as good as you just depicted, but then the accent is hard to bring on to the web. :D

TonyY
12-28-2005, 03:39
When I left Devens in 75 Apollo Kotlow was the Hvy Wpns guy on ODA332. I believe he was an E-7 at that time. And I have to admit he was a real looker. Nice guy but slow as shit. I spoke with my old team sgt at an SFA convention a couple of years back and he came up in the conversation. He said last he heard was that he was still alive and living in Ma. I would guess he is up there in age because he had to be in his late 40s, early 50s in 75.

longrange1947
12-28-2005, 09:42
If we are speaking of the same guy, I believe he was one of the last DPs on active duty. I thought he was a MSG but then again, at the time, I was a newbie and was keeping my head low and my eyes and ears open. :D

QRQ 30
12-28-2005, 09:55
When I knew Kotlow he was an SFC. He may well be one of the last DPs on AD. When I was in the 10th CoA was loaded with DPs since our AO was Eastern Europe. The other DPs were a trip always referring to each other as Dump Pollaks, Crazy Czechs, etc. I used to joke that I went to Language School so as to communicate with my team mates since I was the only one who didn't speak english as a second language.:D

These guys were just as dedicated and hard working as they were hard headed.:lifter

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-16-2009, 09:38
I don't what to post this stuff in the open so if you'd PM me with any info on that designation team. in particularly all Medics (91B3S) Just looking yo expose someone who claims to have been a 216 member as a Medic. Thanks Blitzzz

bost1751
03-16-2009, 10:16
I was on 214, A/2/ 10th from the end of 72 until the Drill Sgt deal caught me in 75. I remember Kotlow as an E-7. Also, if Herbie is Herb Cosby, he committed suicide not long after retirement ( a few years). Bear Reinitzer (sp?) was still around in 1980 and a little after. He made E-9. He was perhaps the last of the old 10th Gp DPs.

Richard
03-16-2009, 17:20
Bear Reinitzer (sp?) was still around in 1980 and a little after. He made E-9. He was perhaps the last of the old 10th Gp DPs.

Sobichevski, Maracek, Schiller, Nagy, Olchevek - there were still a few around after that time. I would guess Sobi was around the longest. :confused:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

bost1751
03-16-2009, 18:41
Yes, Col Marachek was at DLI the same time I was. I can't remember what language they found to send him there for as he could speak several. Swead Jensen was still in Tolz when I left in 1980 also. After the deal with the new o=6 and the wife.

Hartley
03-19-2009, 17:31
I was in Tolz 75-78 - I remember Bear, tho I didn't know him all that well. I didn't realize Fritz Schiller was a DP - he was my TS on 5 when I got there in '75. If he was, he never talked about it. He spoke good German, tho. :)
Was SGM Duttlinger a DP, too?

lksteve
03-19-2009, 19:58
Bear Reinitzer (sp?) was still around in 1980 and a little after. He made E-9. He was perhaps the last of the old 10th Gp DPs.he was the Bn. SGM when I got there in 1980...He retired in 1983...

CoLawman
03-19-2009, 20:31
Just eavesdropping..........what is a DP?

The Reaper
03-19-2009, 21:02
Just eavesdropping..........what is a DP?

Displaced Person.

See Lodge Act.

TR

RichNH
02-10-2013, 08:07
Hi I was on ODA 322 from '73 to '75. Most of my time there was with Fearless Fernia as the team sgt. But I heard he passed on years ago. Totally lost track of everyone else. The one guy I did keep track of for some time was Dominic Z who I went through the Q course with, and who was sent to the 7th but wound up in the 10th. He was on my team in the 11th too.

Rich Z

UWOA (RIP)
02-10-2013, 16:47
Just thinking were/are any of you 10th group 71-75? The only one I have heard from or have been in contact with in 30 years was my old team daddy and that was at the Vegas 2004 SFA reunion.

I was there 71-72. Co B ODAs A24 and A21 as the XO with a bunch of other Lieutenants from Group. I remember, LT "King" Gorman, LT Steve (The Body) Embody, and LT Fred Berger.

Utah Bob
02-12-2013, 11:48
Oh, I thought you meant Old alumni.
By `71 I had already been a civilian for a year. :D
And walking down the hall past the team rooms in Lenggries was like a trip to the UN sometimes.
Or the Tower of Babel.;)

UWOA (RIP)
02-12-2013, 12:08
Oh, I thought you meant Old alumni.
By `71 I had already been a civilian for a year. :D
And walking down the hall past the team rooms in Lenggries was like a trip to the UN sometimes.
Or the Tower of Babel.;)

Did you use pack mules to carry/deliver SADMs? LOL.

cat
10-15-2014, 11:56
RichNH and I probably served together on ODA 322; I was on the team from 72 thru 73 and remember the Team Sgt. very well; he was the real thing.

I originally posted the names that I could recall from those days; since most of them are probably no longer with us. However, I edited this post when I realized that is not done in here.

Never saw or heard from anyone again after I left in 73, anyway; so, wouldn't be able to help you get in touch with any of them.

I apologize for the breach in OPSEC.

-cat-

Hognose (RIP)
10-23-2014, 22:48
Bear Reinitzer (sp?) was still around in 1980 and a little after. He made E-9. He was perhaps the last of the old 10th Gp DPs.

I can move Julius "Bear" Reinitzer's wear-out date to at least Sep 81. My SOTA team deployed from Devens through Tölz to (IIRC) the Schwäbisch Hall area and we briefed back to the 1st BN staff. I believe CO was Barber and CSM was Reinitzer.

We had this brilliant idea because we had all these shit-hot linguists, to brief back in target language, then English, Gabriel-team style. It seemed like a good idea at a time.

Until Reinitzer began grilling us in German and Czech. The Battalion S4 was an older captain (heh, old, maybe 34!) named Muschamp. They were a great bunch of guys and busted their asses for us. We also discovered that our German linguist, DLI-trained, really sucked at German. The Czech linguists wound up answering his questions because one had been stationed in Germany and one took some years of college German.

Last I knew (perhaps 10 years ago) the Bear was retired in New England and well. He must be well along in years, as he had seen both of the totalitarian empires of the 20th Century first hand.

George Marecek retired in the early 1980s after, IIRC, a Pentagon tour. He later (1990s) was tried several times, and ultimately convicted of murdering his wife and did time in prison in NC. (One thing that sank him was using Keith Idema as a PI). He was released.

Marecek was remembered for confusing "ratholing" with "cornholing," and dealing with bodies ghosting instead of doing details, by demanding that his TLs and TS's "immediately stop cornholing your men!"

He served several Vietnam tours, and received at least one DSC.

Most of those DPs were real fighters. A few of them helped their former countries stand up independent armies, after the fall of the Warsaw Pact. But that's another story.

Stras
05-14-2015, 11:45
There are about 10-15 of the "old timers" still living around Bad Tolz. The earliest member was about #25 on the original Group Manifest and site surveyed Bad Tolz for the move in 1952/53. Others served from the mid-50's to early 80's in Tolz and later at Devens.

Herr Havel passed away this last year.

Astronomy
05-14-2015, 20:07
I got there in '80 and stayed through '83. LTC Roger Seymour was BC, followed by LTC Duane Barber.

IIRC "The Bear" Reinitzer was Bn CSM for all/most of that time.

Morning battalion formation guidance from the CSM:

CSM: "All radiators to goingk to radiator training..."
Me: "WTF did he just say?"
Top: "All Commo NCOs report to MOS refresher training..."

A Great NCO. As were most of them of them back then.

UWOA (RIP)
05-15-2015, 05:56

XO ODAs 21 and 24 and CO ODA 13, Co B, 10th SFGA, Ft Devens June 1971- April 72 .... Was basically a filler until a position opened up in 8th SFGA per my VOLINDEF contract ... there were a bunch of us, Fred111 was one also, that had been affected by the Viet Nam down-sizing that reduced 8th SFG's end-strength and left us no other place to go right after Spanish language school (MILPERSCEN offered me an Airborne Infantry slot down in the Canal Zone, but I wouldn't take it -- I was SF and didn't want to take a step back in my estimation) .... It all worked out. I spent some time TDY teaching summer ROTC at Indiantown Gap which was beneficial for the MTTs I had while in 8th SFG (later 3Bn, 7th SFG) and went to ski school in Sunday River, Maine and learned to snow ski.

Slots opened up in 8th SFGA in early '72 and Fred and I drove down to Panama with our (then) significant others (he's still married to his).

fred111
05-15-2015, 08:32
After all that fun for 27 years, I am now staring at the water in the Outer Banks waiting for my wife to tell me what to do.

Kcolliver
11-01-2016, 03:24
Was in 10th SFG right after I came home from Vietnam in 1973. A co 3d Bn, SFODA 313.

fred111
11-01-2016, 04:43
Kcolliver-- First name Keith???

Kcolliver
11-03-2016, 03:46
Yes first name Keith

Joker
11-03-2016, 13:57
You guys don't use good PERSEC do you?

Team Sergeant
11-03-2016, 15:44
You guys don't use good PERSEC do you?

Old guys don't really care anymore. And don't mess with them as they will face shoot anyone that messes with their fishing time...... :munchin

UWOA (RIP)
11-03-2016, 19:17
Old guys don't really care anymore. And don't mess with them as they will face shoot anyone that messes with their fishing time...... :munchin

Top, you got that right!!!!

:munchin

psherlin
11-03-2018, 07:31
I was in the 10th from 74 to 81. Most of the time on ODA 326, finished as the NCOIC of the Staff Engineer Section. Went to Flight School, but they found out I could not hear very well. Before I was in the 10th I was in the 1st SFG and after the 5th, got my Special Forces Tab then went to the 8th IN Div as the NCOIC of the Staff Engineer Section. Was allowed to go to a Engineer CO to be a 1st SGT for 91 days. Cold War ended and I went to the 10th Mountian Div as the NCOIC of the G-3 section.