PDA

View Full Version : Iraq War: Insurgency and Counterinsurgency; not book, History Channel

frostfire
12-18-2005, 01:23
I found it very informative and is definitely better than the constant casualties report on the media. It mentioned lesson learnt from British counter-insurgency operation in the Malaya campaign and other relevant history. The program also covered how the Iraq TV media was used to expose the insurgents true nature.

From what I gathered, force-multiplier element and using advisors imbedded in fierce battles that forms "brothers in arms" seems to be the way to go. IMHO, I believe this arena, in which the SF excels, is the future of successful GWOT campaign. It sure won't hurt to have more SF and/or have other groups trained in SF's forte.

I was glued to the tv throughout the show and was washing dishes during breaks. Anybody else watch this? Did you find inaccuracies or disagree over some points? As an easily impressionable civilian, I sure want to learn and to know if I am absorbing any rubbish.

If History Channel show it again, I highly recommend watching it.

Iraq War: Insurgency and Counterinsurgency
Premieres:
Saturday, December 17 @ 6pm ET/PT

After reviewing the drastic Coalition failures fighting the insurgency in the first year-and-a-half of the occupation of Iraq, we investigate what's being done to turn that around. A new counterinsurgency strategy began to take shape at the end of 2004 when commanders consulted counterinsurgency experts and reviewed successful counterinsurgencies in history. Now, the top priority is to handover the fight to Iraqis by training and advising them in the field. The Iraqis also recognized the need for a new strategy and formed the Special Police Commandos, a tough paramilitary force. They've been very effective, but, many say, at the expense of human rights. Next, we look at the progress of combined American and Iraqi forces from late 2004 through the Fall of 2005, including major operations in Mosul, Samara, Baghdad, and Tal Afar. Unfortunately, turning the fight over to the Iraqis has been slower than the Coalition hoped.