PDA

View Full Version : Frauds from China

dennisw
12-06-2005, 09:14
Recently, my Wife and I purchased a cabin in Branson, Mo. It overlooks Lake Taneycomo and we plan to visit occasionally and rent it out when we're not using it. Recently we received a rentlal request from the U.K. They wanted to rent it for two weeks. I became suspicious when the check for the rental originated from China.

Sure enough today I received the email kicker. They had inadvertantly sent a check for twice the amount, and would I please refund the balance via Western Union. This is a scam that has been going on for some time.

If the folks involved were in the U.S. or in the U.K., I can see they could be easily caught. However hiding in China with their fear based government, the folks involved pretty much have a safe haven.

When most of us read about a situation like I described above or think about computer hackers or scam artists in general, we think in terms of a few folks in a back room with their computers whirring in the background hatching elaborate schemes to rip off folks here and there. However, this incident touch a subject I've been noodling for some time. What if this and other computer pervalent scams deriving from China are not the work of a few larsenous individuals, but the product of an organized effort by a corrupt and fear based government. If they are really hostile to the U.S. wouldn't this be a perfect way to wage economic war against the West and make some money at the same time?

Paranoia in SoCal is at the red level. :mad:

Detcord
12-08-2005, 04:31
I'm sure glad that Chinese (and the Russians too) are our "allies..."

FILO
12-08-2005, 08:40
This type of fraud is very common. Just to get a glimpse of how pervasive fraud is globally, take a look at PWC's latest study:

http://www.pwcglobal.com/extweb/insights.nsf/docid/D1A0A606149F2806852570C0006716C0

Also if you want to keep up to date on the latest scams check out this organization's website, I'm a member of the association: acfe.com