PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Thailand

Go For Broke
12-05-2005, 22:19
Since no one has started anything on the Kingdom yet...

Important Thai fact about today, 05 Dec...King Bumibol's birthday.

Why is this significant? Thai's place the King (and Royal Family) almost as high as Buddha. This is signified by the placement of the Wai.

The Wai is a traditional Thai greeting that is accomplished by placing the hands, palms together in front of the body, accompanied by a slight bow. The higher up the body the Wai is executed, the more respect that is intended. Thus, Buddha, the king, and monks are afforded the "High Wai" which is executed about the level of the forehead.

Ways to offend Thai's -
Make derogatory remarks (even in jest) about the Royal Family / Buddha
Deface the King - This can be easily accomplished by stepping on Thai money that is blowing down the street. The kings image is on all the money.
FYI - It is against the law, and punishable, to criticize the King or the Royal Family
Touch Thai's on the top of the head...this is considered the "temple" as it is the highest part of the body.
Point at things with your feet.
Use the "come hither" finger crooking motion towards someone. Instead, if you desire someones attention (such as a waiter) extend your right hand, palm downward and flick your fingers into your palm as if you were trying to scratch your pet. The use of the hooking finger is how animals are called.

Thai's are very patriotic towards their country...at approximately 1100Z (1800 in Thailand) the Thai national anthem is played. It is appropriate (and appreciated) if one stops and stands respectfully for their national anthem.

When handling an image of the Buddha, keep it above the waistline. If you are given one as a gift, keep it in an upper breast pocket / around your neck. Many Thais will have the monks bless them. If you are fortunate enough to visit a Wat, ensure that you are wearing appropriate clothing. Shorts, muscle shirts, and tevas are not appropriate...trousers, long sleeve shirt, and closed toed shoes are more appropriate. Be prepared to remove your shoes however.

The monks are very important, and giving food (alms) to the monks is one way of making merit for the Thais.

Hope this helps as a start (albeit slightly different than the majority here) for an area study of the Kingdom.

V/R,

P.S. I do not believe that the musical / movie "The King and I" has ever played in the Kingdom.

QRQ 30
12-06-2005, 13:27
Saturday Dec. 10, 2001 is Constitution Day in Thailand, a National Holiday. Thailand is no longer a strict nonarchy but a Constitutional Marnachy like the UK and several Scandanavian Countries such a Sweden.Although the King is strongly revered and his voice is heard the country is run by committee. Several times in the sixties and seventies the national government was suspended and an RTAF General took control. I can't remember his name but I have visited his private Island off of the coast of Pattaya. He has always returned control of the government back to the civilians when he felt the country was stable enough. This was always done with the permission of the King.

Other things I learned:
1. Don't touch a Thai on the head. That is their soul.
2. If at a post survival school party with the RTASF and if they offer a lizard out of the fire, remove and eat the legs, not the whole lizard.:eek:
3. Cigarettes are most valued tithes. It cost me six cartons of cigarettes for my wedding -- one carton per monk.
4. The bread winner of the household gets to eat first and the rest get what is left. I had to be very careful if I was real hungry.
5. Though she may know nothing of english, and lives in Bangkok, about 60 miles from Pattaya your sister-in-law always knows when it is payday and miraculously appears at your house.
6. Its good to have a brother-in-law who is a Thai Policeman. He just happened to be the investigating officer when I had a fender bender and a Thai Baht Bus Driver figured he was going to get rich off this farang driver. :D

At my wedding I was somewhat under the influence of Mekong and Singha and whatever else they had available. Upon returning from the bathroom I came out the wrong door and sent the shrine to Buhdda flying in all directions. All of the women at the party went into a panick and were convinced our marriage was doomed. Thursday we celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary.:D

mugwump
12-06-2005, 16:46
...Thursday we celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary.:D

Congrats!

Chris
12-07-2005, 18:55
Good information, learn something new every day. :)

brownapple
12-11-2005, 21:34
Thai's are very patriotic towards their country...at approximately 1100Z (1800 in Thailand) the Thai national anthem is played. It is appropriate (and appreciated) if one stops and stands respectfully for their national anthem.

Also at 0100Z (0800 Local).

Thai culture values calmness and non-confrontation. Raising your voice or being "too serious" will not get you anywhere in dealing with Thai people except to make you someone they don't want to deal with.

"Jai Dee" (good heart) is a highly appreciated trait. Being a kind and considerate person will go a long way, even when dealing with unpleasant items.

Thais generally do not have experience managing anger nor do they generally have levels of anger. They don't get angry generally, keeping frustrations bottled inside. When they do get angry, watch out. Anger will generally be demonstrated VERY physically and very possibly dangerously. Most Thais will walk away rather than lose their temper, and do not understand demonstrations of anger as anything but a physical threat.