PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Holster

Eagle5US
11-28-2005, 22:16
Greetings All...

Recent events at the Tacoma Mall (right up the road) have tipped the scales for our getting WA State CCW permits. We have both been trained...previously carried other weapons in other states...but now we have new ones and holster technology has changed.

Currently I am going to carry a S&W .40. Looking for suggestions on a paddle (preferred) or high carry belt.

"Ms. Smith" will be carrying her (hydroshock loaded) .380 until we bump her up to a higher caliber that she finds comfortable to shoot.

I am not looking for a fag bag style carry platform. Uncle Mike's "clip suede" holsters have performed poorly for us both in the past when it came right down to it.

There are lots of Fobos paddles on e-bay for about $30...looking for suggestions.

Thanks everyone

Eagle

The Reaper
11-28-2005, 22:20
You are in luck.

I use the MSP paddle holster from one of your neighbors.

Kramer Handgun Leather over in Tacoma can hook you up.

Pricey, but worth it. Go with the horsehide. Mine is almost 10 years old and gets used almost every day. Other than some scuffs I put on it, it still looks fine.

They make a nice gun belt, too.

TR

jatx
11-28-2005, 22:41
I like the FIST paddle holster. It is kydex sanwiched between layers of leather (for which they offer a million finishes). Tension is easily adjusted. The paddle is well-padded and super comfy. Check it out.

Bill Harsey
11-28-2005, 22:51
Horsehide has quite a reputation for durability. Don't dismiss that.

Peregrino
11-28-2005, 22:54
I'm not a big fan of paddle holsters, I've had (and seen) some bad experiences with them. They wouldn't stay put with strenuous exercise - though that's probably not an issue for me any more. That and it's embarrassing to draw your holstered gun. I use Galco IWB's (Royal Guard for the .45s - TR's horsehide comment is a good recommendation) for concealment. The belt loops w/snaps are very secure and they're still relatively convenient to take on and off. Good luck finding the perfect piece - my holster collection is starting to look like the wife's shoe/purse collection. My .02 - Peregrino

18C4V
11-28-2005, 23:57
I don't like paddles either. I couldn't run with it and it came out too easily (gun and holster). When I work plain clothes and off duty I use a Galco combat master or a Galco SOB holster. Like Peregrino said "good luck" my holster collection looks like my boot collection.

GackMan
11-29-2005, 00:34
Paddle holsters seem ok for a trip to the store, but wearing them all day getting sweaty, etc. just never worked for me. I've seen people try to use them at the range and I've seen them draw the whole shee-bang out of their pants.

I have a video of a Fobus paddle holster being broken in half with little effort in a gun-grab scenario. I'm on the road right now, but I have it at home - I can e-mail it to you if you want to see it, I'd rather not post it on an open forum. But just don't get a fobus.

Spend the extra $20 and bump your holster budget up to the $50-60 range. You'll thank yourself later.

Have you tried IWB? concealed = concealed you know ;)

I have had great luck with blade-tech... yeah yeah, I'm bucking the leather crowd and going with Kydex. I have a couple Galco IWBs and they have been great as well, Galco is probably your best bet for the .380.

What model of Smith is it?

Cincinnatus
11-29-2005, 02:13
Another vote for Kramer. I don't have any experience with his paddles, but I've worn a Kramer IWB (his #3) for years and it's performed and held up great.

uboat509
11-29-2005, 02:59
I have been on the odd mission that required me to carry concealed and unfortunately my bodyshape runs to the thin (some might say scrawny but that is just rude) and I have found that concealing an M9 is problematic at best. The solution that I found was little item called Thunderwear. If you have never seen it, it is simply a pouch that you wear under your pants that puts the gun over your crotch. It works really well unless you are wearing really tight pants and it has the added advantage that most guys will not find it on a pat down unless they specifically check that area.

SFC W

Team Sergeant
11-29-2005, 09:15
Ditto on the Kramer. I own the "Inside The Waistband #3 (only for Semi-autos) Horsehide". It sure make a full size USP .45 sit nice and close.....

The only thing I needed to do was purchase my pants one size bigger....;)

This holster is the "nice" in the saying "buy nice or buy twice".

TS

swatsurgeon
11-29-2005, 09:44
Eagle,
If I may .....dump the hydroshoks....get gold dots or if made SXT in .380
If you search on the .45 carry thread I posted a pic of the relatively poor expansion of hydroshok, i.e., permanent cavity is smaller than the other ammo listed....now you will of course excuse me if Mrs. Smith can put each round into the brainstem without trying......
Bigger channel, better chance of hitting something that bleeds really fast....I'll repost the pic in a few minutes.
ss

swatsurgeon
11-29-2005, 09:53
this thread may end up split and moved to the ammo area...oh well.
Here is a pic of expanded (in humans) bullets. All 9mm except the .40 cal black talon on the right and in the lower right corner...all of the rest are 9mm.
upper left: golden saber, lower left cor bon +p
upper right gold dot, lower right .40 SXT
middle upper: talon recovered from vest,
miidle lower hydroshok: expanded but not much wider than pre-fired bullet and this is typical for these...also higher rate of non-expansion in my experience.
ss

Eagle5US
11-29-2005, 12:04
Thank you everyone for the great information..exactly the type of stuff I was looking for.
Glad to hear all the reviews of paddles as I had never owned one. I am also now leaning back towards leather. Kydex looks cool, but leather does indeed last forever.

SS-
As I said before...been awhile since I have been involved in round / carry technology. In Hawaii the gun laws were ridiculous and not worth getting involved in for the petty crime that was ramapnt there. Very little "vs person" ..more vehicle larceny, hate crimes vs the gay population, and petty theft from beach tourists.
Much obliged on the round information...obviously not wanting Ms. Smith to be carrying straight jackets in her cricket...more expansion the better. I will certainly invest in some of the rounds you suggested.
This was recently demonstrated quite well with a local on my trauma table-him and his 5 9mm rounds in various parts of his anatomy, and still pissed off enough to need to be handcuffed to the gurney.

Gackman-
Mod 99 with 4in barrel

Thanks again guys...if there is more to contribute-please do not hold back.

Eagle

jatx
11-29-2005, 12:15
Well, if you are leaning towards an IWB model for yourself, you might look into a Sparks VM2. They carry your weapon very low and do a great job of spreading out the weight. Much better than the numerous Summer Special variants out there, IMHO, which will require a reinforced gun belt to really be comfortable. They are available in horsehide per others' recommendation and can usually be found used for a reasonable price (and no wait) on the various forums. I carried a USP Compact .45 in one for awhile, and even used the tuck-over clips to good effect a few times.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-29-2005, 13:39
You are in luck.

I use the MSP paddle holster from one of your neighbors.

Kramer Handgun Leather over in Tacoma can hook you up.

Pricey, but worth it. Go with the horsehide. Mine is almost 10 years old and gets used almost every day. Other than some scuffs I put on it, it still looks fine.

They make a nice gun belt, too.

TR

I have a three of Kramer holsters and a belt from them as well. They are all VERY well made. (Not horse hide.) I do not have a paddle holster from them; however, if I was in the market for one I'd most likely buy it from Kramer. The one that I use the most is a pocket holster for my little 5 shot S&W 442 .38. The reason for this is its ease of use and convenience... just slip it in your pocket and leave. It is also handy when your dressed up...suit, etc. Or as a back-up for your primary weapon. :lifter

Air.177
11-29-2005, 20:25
Milt Sparks Makes a GREAT holster in the VM2. Also, consider Matt Delfatti's work. I have one of his belt holsters for my Glock 17 and it is excellent. Downsides to both of these makers are that since they are true custom makers, they do take time (Delfatti was running about a year wait last I heard) and they are expensive ($135 for my Delfatti, about $120 for a VM2).

Comp-Tac makes great Kydex and I have several of their kydex IWB holsters. They take some getting used to, but they work very well. Check out their shirt tucker and their Ghurka, I have used both with great results in the past.

As always, YMMV

Good times,
Blake

Eagle5US
12-01-2005, 19:35
Eagle5,

How is Ms. Smith carrying her .380?

I can carry at-work now, but still haven't found anything I don't want to drop kick across the room at the end of the day, or that a skirt waistband is strong enough for, or anything as fast as current carry (UtB).

Well...she is not carrying with a "quick draw" platform with her current set-up. She usually carrys in her purse / bag using a Galco (soft) sheepskin clip holster. She runs the clip into the zippered "change / make-up" slot...gun butt forward.
She uses the same sheepskin clip for IWB when her pant's allow it...she likes it's soft texture, but hates trying to re-holster after a draw. I am going to try transition her to an ankle for this weapon (as her secondary) when we get her compact .45 for a daily carry.
I am going to get one of the Kramers that was suggested...and look to see if she likes it enough to want to wear the same.

There was ANOTHER gunpoint robbery, in a public business, here on the news last night. No way we are going out slick anymore.

Eagle

Fiercely Loyal
07-14-2007, 17:27
I have only carried for a year so far but have already determined that IWB isn't for me. Also I am a big fan of Bladetec kydex holsters and mag pouches. I have switched my carry weapon from Glock 23 to Khar P40 to HKp2000 to Kimber Desert Warrior. Each weapon I purchased a Bladtec OWB holster and loved it. For me it was easier to dress accordingly this way. Great product if you would like to venture into plastic.

FL

Tacticalinterve
07-16-2007, 14:10
Frontsote/Dangergirl, worked Detectives a decade or so. Hate to tell all the folks who poo poo 380's how mant dead folks where murdered with one. Not my first choice in calibers but better than a fist and a scream.

Women have a hell of a time with concealled carry because of body shape. I stay out of whats best for them to carry. It will go person to person and body type.

Me I can carry just about anything because I am big enough for my own zip code. I like the old top draw leather belt holster with thumb snap top, for day in and day out use. Thats just me though. Rides well and does not make a crap load of noise like Kydex does.

Big Daddy
08-15-2007, 07:44
this thread may end up split and moved to the ammo area...oh well.
Here is a pic of expanded (in humans) bullets. All 9mm except the .40 cal black talon on the right and in the lower right corner...all of the rest are 9mm.
upper left: golden saber, lower left cor bon +p
upper right gold dot, lower right .40 SXT
middle upper: talon recovered from vest,
miidle lower hydroshok: expanded but not much wider than pre-fired bullet and this is typical for these...also higher rate of non-expansion in my experience.
ss

There doesn't appear to be much of a difference between the 9mm and the 40.

82ndtrooper
08-15-2007, 14:03
I am also a Kramer horsehide guy. IWB for the H&Kc .40 S&W. At first I did not like the idea of having to purchase a pair of trouser or jeans two inches larger than my waist line. However, an IWB just seems to make more sense for serious concealment.

I also tried a shoulder holster for a short while. The Galco "Miami Classic" made popular with the "Miami Vice" series and Don Johnsons charachter, Sonny Crocket. However, I had to put away the pastel color linen pants and jackets about two decades ago.:cool: It just dont work unless your going to wear suit jacket, of some type, every day, every where. Bad idea unless your a man with a badge. At least Galco has a program to donate holsters to the troops, even though they are the vertical shoulder leather type. Not sure which model that is.

Air.177's advice on the Matt Delfatti leather is also one I'd go with if you dont mind waiting for a while while using another cheaper alternative.

beaterar
08-21-2007, 17:49
I carry a XD40SC most of the time in a holster I made out of Kydex. It took about an hour to make and works very well, I have made several others for friends and such.

Here are some pics, it is a tuckable IWB holster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture294.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture293.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture303.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture304.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture310.jpg
Here is a Out side the waist band for a Glock 30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture281.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sharpstickk/Picture274.jpg

Firearmz
01-01-2008, 19:37
I too dislike paddle holsters. I either use an Inside the waist band (IWB) or a good outside he waist band (OWB). In kydex my preference are the Comp-Tac Infidel or more to my liking horse hide from Milt Sparks. I am just about always in the Summer Special II or the 55BN. It takes awhile to get the Sparks, they are in great demand and each is hand made . The last one I ordered took 24 weeks but well worth the wait.

Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/)

Milt Sparks (http://www.miltsparks.com)

Ryval
01-26-2008, 23:52
I've used the Belly Band for almost a year now, with my glock 30. For those who havn't seen it, it's a strip of elastic about 5" wide with pockets for left or right hand draw, and a center pocket for a magazine. I carry a pair of handcuffs in the off-side pocket, works well for me and I can wear it under jogging shorts and a slightly baggie tank top. The draw seems fine, the band doesn't seem to move when I draw and the gun stays secure in the 'holster' with normal walking to light jogging (like from the parking lot to the store). I've never tried to exercise with it.

One problem: mine's already starting to stretch out a bit. Nothing to the point of losing it's elacticity, but it's worth noting.

I also use a Bladetech OWB holster with a mag / handcuff combo.

$.02 more, tis all.

Ambush Master
01-27-2008, 09:16
I carry a XD40SC most of the time in a holster I made out of Kydex. It took about an hour to make and works very well, I have made several others for friends and such.

FWIW

I spoke with one of the people, that I think developed Kydex, at Blade or Shot a few years ago. He told Harsey and I that you can "Bond" it with standard hardware store variety PVC Pipe Cement!! I haven't tried repairing anything yet, but it's one of those little known tricks that are worth keeping in mind!!

Later
Martin

kgoerz
01-27-2008, 10:00
Bianchi has a new Holster called the Carry lock. I only was able to handle a sample model, didn't do much drawing. But we ordered a bunch of them for our Unit. Ill write up a review when I get more use out of one.
It does have one thing a lot of CCW Holsters don't have and that’s a locking retention system. I am never completely comfortable with someone having the ability to grab my gun right out of the Holster. It also rides high on the hip for better concealment. Excuse my typing, I am on a Train.

The Reaper
01-27-2008, 10:12
Bianchi has a new Holster called the Carry lock. I only was able to handle a sample model, didn't do much drawing. But we ordered a bunch of them for our Unit. Ill write up a review when I get more use out of one.
It does have one thing a lot of CCW Holsters don't have and that’s a locking retention system. I am never completely comfortable with someone having the ability to grab my gun right out of the Holster. It also rides high on the hip for better concealment. Excuse my typing, I am on a Train.

Do you get to blow the horn?:D

TR

kgoerz
01-27-2008, 11:01
Do you get to blow the horn?:D

TR

Not only that, I get to wear the Hat also:D

The Reaper
01-27-2008, 11:09
Not only that, I get to wear the Hat also:D

Lucky bastidge!

Say Hi to Ed Phillips for me.

Be safe.

TR

Squintz
01-27-2008, 17:53
I am a skinny little Bastard and I use this:

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html

To conceal an XD .45 Tactical. Very comfortable and functional.

Team Sergeant
01-27-2008, 22:44
I am a skinny little Bastard and I use this:

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html

To conceal an XD .45 Tactical. Very comfortable and functional.

Yo brother, try a Kramer holster.... I've got a Kramer IWB you can have, its fitted for a USP.;)

http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=9&categoryID=23

gtcrispy
01-27-2008, 23:05
Yo brother, try a Kramer holster.... I've got a Kramer IWB you can have, its fitted for a USP.;)

USPc?? Squintz wishes he could keep up with me...maybe if he bought less Multicam pouches ;)

Bracholi
01-27-2008, 23:25
[b]
This was recently demonstrated quite well with a local on my trauma table-him and his 5 9mm rounds in various parts of his anatomy, and still pissed off enough to need to be handcuffed to the gurney.
Eagle

Stuff like this make me wonder why the military switched from .45 ...
Rather it makes me wonder why the 9mm... If .38 couldn't stop charging rebels in the Philippines why go to 9 mm... .40 .45 .357 10mm... *beats a dead horse*

Squintz
01-28-2008, 17:55
Stuff like this make me wonder why the military switched from .45 ...
Rather it makes me wonder why the 9mm... If .38 couldn't stop charging rebels in the Philippines why go to 9 mm... .40 .45 .357 10mm... *beats a dead horse*

2 Words for ya.
SHOT PLACEMENT

Squintz
01-28-2008, 17:58

Thanks TS! But, I don't have a pistol to fit it. If it will work for a USP Compact then the Crispy one will be interested;)

Kramer makes some nice stuff. If I am ever in the market for Horse Hide. I know where to look:)

Squintz
01-28-2008, 17:59
USPc?? Squintz wishes he could keep up with me...maybe if he bought less Multicam pouches ;)

Yep! Too many Irons in the fire.

hp35
02-24-2008, 19:15
I am a ccw permit holder and I have used a Comp-Tac Gurkha with a great deal of comfort and success. The clips keep the holster where it needs to be. The people at Comp-Tac are great to deal with as well. If you ever decide on an IWB holster you should give them a try.

The Reaper
02-24-2008, 19:25
I am a ccw permit holder and I have used a Comp-Tac Gurkha with a great deal of comfort and success. The clips keep the holster where it needs to be. The people at Comp-Tac are great to deal with as well. If you ever decide on an IWB holster you should give them a try.

HP:

You need to follow the instructions in your registration message and read the stickies before posting again.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-06-2024, 11:02
I've used the Belly Band for almost a year now, with my glock 30. For those who havn't seen it, it's a strip of elastic about 5" wide with pockets for left or right hand draw, and a center pocket for a magazine. I carry a pair of handcuffs in the off-side pocket, works well for me and I can wear it under jogging shorts and a slightly baggie tank top. The draw seems fine, the band doesn't seem to move when I draw and the gun stays secure in the 'holster' with normal walking to light jogging (like from the parking lot to the store). I've never tried to exercise with it.

One problem: mine's already starting to stretch out a bit. Nothing to the point of losing it's elacticity, but it's worth noting.

I also use a Bladetech OWB holster with a mag / handcuff combo.

$.02 more, tis all.

Reviving this thread in an attempt to please our friend Box. And the truth is I was going to do it anyway.

I have a Kramer holster for my USP .40 and a pocket holster for my S&W .38, but I now desire to carry while exercising outside. I don't like either option for that use case.

What do y'all think about this Belly Band? What other options would you consider for carrying while exercising, including when wearing shorts and a t-shirt?

:munchin

Box
02-06-2024, 11:04
It's Tuesday bro.
It's Tuesday.

C'mon man
...the thing

Roguish Lawyer
02-07-2024, 12:39
It's Tuesday bro.
It's Tuesday.

C'mon man
...the thing

I refuse to be limited by arbitrary bureaucratic BS, to include days of the week on which I am permitted to necropost. :p

mark46th
02-08-2024, 00:49
I prefer the Sgt Preston Model Lanyard...

MR2
02-08-2024, 11:15
I prefer the Sgt Preston Model Lanyard...

Talk about old school... :lifter