PDA

View Full Version : Major Joe Haydon

ObliqueApproach
11-26-2005, 08:19
Gentlemen,

As I am new to PS, I have been cathcing up on old posts and didn't review TAPS until today. While reading through TAPS, I didn't notice Major Joe Haydon mentioned so I thought let everyone know. Major Joe Haydon was on the Air Nigeria flight from Lagos to Abuja last month which crashed killing everyone on board. Joe, a Citadel Graduate, was the team leader of 581 back in the 1993-94 time frame. He later left the service and joined me on the United Arab Emirates SF Team as my Training Development Officer. He did three years here then returned to the US and went back into the Army. (SF was/is so short of 18As that he returned as if he never left.) He was a FAO in Nigeria.

The following is a copy of the email I sent out followed by Ranger Roach's email. Colonel Roach, as always, is very profound and leaves you thoughts to contemplate.

De Oppresso Liber

To all the old UAE SF guys and all other stations,

Joe Haydon was aboard the Air Nigeria flight which crashed last week. The US DAO in Nigeria has been to the crash site and confirmed all passengers died.
His wife and the kids have been notified. I thought you all might want to know.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the message... a sad message, but it is good to hear from you...

I talked to Joe's father yesterday - and their family (parents brother and
sister) are all together at Fredericksburg and supporting one another...
they are very sad, but dealing as well as you can with a death in the family. I'm sure that any calls or cards would be very much appreciated...
they're very good people.

Joe's father told me that the Army is taking good care of them, and that the Embassy in Nigeria is taking good care of his family. One of the big questions will be where will his wife decide to go... she has her US citizenship, but her family is in Spain... too early to have any indication yet...

His wife and the children (two) are still in Nigeria... and not sure when and if they will return to the US... but Joe's father expects they will return for at least a visit... there will be a memoral service and a funeral , but the family expects it will be at least a few weeks before Joe's body is evacuated to the states...(everything takes longer in Africia) and from personal experience I know that if the family plans for a burial in Arlington it may be a few months before that happens... Just went to Arlington on 27 Oct the funeral for another friend, and he had died on 12 August... they have 30 funerals a day at Arlington, and it seems they are backed up.

If Joe's burial is not going to be for a few months, I expect the family will have some type of memorial service in or near Fredricksburg in late November or early December... I know the family would appreciate the attendance of any old friends... and if you call I'm sure they will notify you of the plans as they develop.

In the final measure it's not how long you live, or how many toys you have at the end, but what you do for others that is the most important measure of a life. And I know you'll all agree that Joe measured up as quite a man.
I'm proud to have known him, and called him a friend.

Saludos - Jim

"Blessed are the cross eyed for they shall see God twice..."

Bill Harsey
11-26-2005, 08:57
Thank you OA,

Rest In Peace Joe.

Doc
11-26-2005, 11:11
RIP Sir

DOL

Doc

Goggles Pizano