PDA

View Full Version : scam emails

Dan
11-22-2005, 21:43
...now the FBI has been targeted with a phishing scam.

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm

Kyobanim
11-23-2005, 09:13
Yeah, I've been getting those daily at home as well as a whole new crop of oldies but badies.

ObliqueApproach
11-23-2005, 09:36
I must say that Microsoft has done well with Outlook 2003 and the Junk Email folder. All of the bs that I used to get is usually automoatically routed into this folder. I know the fed lawyers think Bill Gates is screwing us along with the tobacco companies, but this is one piece of software that costs less and works; at least for me.

The Reaper
11-23-2005, 13:33
Got one from the FBI and another from the CIA.

Deleted both without opening.

I suspect they know how to get in touch with me directly if they need something.

TR

Peregrino
11-23-2005, 15:14
This one got me. :mad: Should have applied TR's logic. I spent most of yesterday cleaning my system. Expensive and annoying. That's how we learn. Peregrino

The Reaper
11-23-2005, 15:24
I have seen several lately with zipped enclosures, which are not picked up by the virus scanners.

If I don't know the sender and expect something, I don't open it, even though I have NAV and two firewalls.

TR

Smokin Joe
11-23-2005, 17:58
I have seen several lately with zipped enclosures, which are not picked up by the virus scanners.

If I don't know the sender and expect something, I don't open it, even though I have NAV and two firewalls.

TR

I apply this same theory. I haven't gotten bit....yet.

I wish my "better half" applied the same philosophy. :rolleyes: But Noooo, we can't have that now can we... (ah freaking women)

Polypro
12-13-2005, 13:22
Most virus scanners are set up to not scan archives (.zip, .cab, .exe) to preserve speed on your system. Since those objects need to be unpacked before running, it'll scan them then. This behavior can be changed in the software's options. You can always right click and do a manual scan as well. Send all downloads to a "Download Archive" folder.

P

The Reaper
12-13-2005, 13:25
Most virus scanners are set up to not scan archives (.zip, .cab, .exe) to preserve speed on your system. Since those objects need to be unpacked before running, it'll scan them then. This behavior can be changed in the software's options. You can always right click and do a manual scan as well. Send all downloads to a "Download Archive" folder.

P

Welcome Poly.

Don't be a stranger.:D

TR

QRQ 30
12-13-2005, 14:02
In Phishing, the object isn't to inject viruses. It is to obtain info. The best and only safe response is nothing other than the "delete" button.

I got an interesting one the other day. It is like a chain letter which they ask you to forward to five friends including the sender. Can you imagine the data base of valid addresses they are amassing if people comply?:eek:

Dan
12-13-2005, 18:00
Can you imagine the data base of valid addresses they are amassing if people comply?:eek:

One of the biggest collector of information and email addresses is plaxo.com. They offer this suite of free tools to morons. Then when this moron's entire addressbook (along with any other info that moron had entered into their addressbook) is uploaded to plaxo's databases. Next everyone in the morons' addressbook gets an email regurgitating what this certain moron installed plaxo...this email ask you to update your info and install plaxo too because it's so great. If you reply to the email, it appears to the moron's email address, but instead if you look at the details it is actually going to plaxo to update their database before probably sending another email to the moron (I'm guessing on this because I've only been on the recieving end of some moron using this "tool"). Even though plaxo claims they aren't collecting the info, any person with half a brain can understand that they are. The worst thing is that you have absolutely no say in protecting your private information from morons that install this type software and tell plaxo everything they know about you!

I guess you can tell that I hate plaxo and morons that don't care about their addressbook people's privacy!!!

Sten
12-13-2005, 18:22
I guess you can tell that I hate plaxo and morons that don't care about their addressbook people's privacy!!!

Durn, there goes my Christmas idea for ya Dan.....:D

Dan
12-13-2005, 18:38
:D