PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

kgoerz
11-21-2005, 16:38
Here's another question for everyone. I searched on here and couldn't find anything relating to this. It should make for interesting discussion. Me and a friend wrote a training book while in the Army (7th SFG) A company wants to publish it for public sale. We want to know what the legal rules are for doing this. The facts about the book are below.

1. We were not assigned to write the Book it was done on our own initiative.

2. There is nothing classified or sensitive in the book.

3. We are both out of the Army now.

4. The book was worked on during duty hours.

5. All photos in the Book were taken with a personal camera not a government camera.

6. Everything in the Book is already public knowledge. The info just has never been gathered together in the present format. It won't help the enemy any more then the thousands of training and fighting manuals out there.

7. The Company approached us about publishing it. Im not marketing this Training Book but if someone is going to pay us for it I don't want to break any laws or rules out there. Any other questions please ask.

Pete
11-21-2005, 20:17
I post a lot of pictures but my "newer" ones are over 10 years old.

How old are your's? Some of the younger guys still active may not like their pictures plastered in a book. They might be a tad touchy about their activities and pictures.

Pete

NousDefionsDoc
11-21-2005, 20:19
You're going to jail Dude...:)

Bill Harsey
11-21-2005, 21:53
You're going to jail Dude...:)
The Professional Soldiers Intellectual Property Rights Attorney has spoken.

Air.177
11-21-2005, 22:14

No need for name calling now Bill, What has Our Esteemed NDD done to deserve such a reptillian title as "Attorney"?

Damn, it sends shivers down my spine just to type it

:)

The Reaper
11-21-2005, 22:51
Shooting from the hip here, but since you are asking, as long as you are the author, it contains no copywrited or classified info, I see no legal reason not to let them publish it.

A company took my Master's Thesis and published it without my permission because it is considered public domain.

What is the Army going to do to you, bring you back on active duty and prosecute you or take it out of your retirement check?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2005, 06:34
What'd I do to you?

:D

Bill Harsey
11-22-2005, 07:27
What'd I do to you?

:D
The PS.com "Intellectual Property Rights Attorney" has special powers that cannot be discussed on an open forum.
This was not a shot at you NDD, I'm smarter than I look. ;)

kgoerz
11-22-2005, 10:25
There’s no pictures of people in the Book. NDD Im going to lawyer up...........

Air.177
11-22-2005, 11:28
There’s no pictures of people in the Book. NDD Im going to lawyer up...........

You've come to the right place, It's practically a shark tank around here.

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2005, 17:25
Lawyer up! LOL

Shark tank! LOL

You guys crack me up!

kgoerz
11-22-2005, 17:28
There are no pictures of people in the book. Thanks for the info. NDD im going to lawyer up..........

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2005, 17:36
Again? That's a lot of lawyering up for one book...