PDA

View Full Version : LEADERSHIP AND TRAINING FOR THE FIGHT

NousDefionsDoc
11-13-2005, 11:42
Link (http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=35146)

If anyone has or does read this, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Peregrino
11-13-2005, 12:52
NDD - TR should be along shortly. I don't know that he's read the book but he did spend some time with the author and had favorable comments to me. I might get it myself - I liked the "dry" humor of the snippet in the review and the problem he discusses is real. Later - P.

CPTAUSRET
11-13-2005, 13:32
OK, I am a FOG, thus poor memory, but didn't he marry Charlie Beckwith's daughter? I shall read his book.

I may be thinking of someone else.

Terry

The Reaper
11-13-2005, 13:35
Paul is a friend of mine, but I have not read the book.

I will have to put it on my list.

TR

Seth
11-20-2005, 13:10
I've just finished the book, Leadership and Training for the Fight -- A Few Thoughts on Leadership and Training from a fomer special operations soldier

By MSG. Paul R. Howe (USA RET.)

The work is focused on leadership, within the context of combat. Being that I'm not qualified to speak to the contextual aspects, I'll refrain from commenting on those points.

However, I'll quickly comment on the book's organization and the author's craft.

The book is very well organized with each chapter following an outline of; chapter overview, anecdotal illustration, analysis of leadership principles, and goals for the reader. Leadership is discussed in theory, application, and personality. Leadership is examined from individual, selection, team, and larger organizational perspectives.

I found the personality discussion most useful, for Howe speaks to current social trends, and how those trends have perpetuated "false leadership".

Below is an excerpt, that demonstrates the efficient and direct prose of the author:

First, I didn’t go into life wanting to be a leader. This may sound
counterproductive. As I gained experience, I learned that I must have
an attitude of trying to do the best job at the task at hand instead of
constantly wanting to be promoted or aspiring to be a leader. I found
that leadership challenges will eventually come. Some uninformed
parents have the most problem with this idea. They feel that their little
Johnny would make a natural leader. Most parents have not been
around great leaders and would not know a good leader if they were
smacked by one.

I suggest that students start by jotting down the good and bad points
of leaders they respect and detest and use them as lessons or guidelines
in their leadership challenges. Mark down arrogance, excessive pride,
laziness as key bad or counterproductive points to be avoided. Leave
your ego behind on this journey and ratchet up the personal controlled
aggressiveness. You can be aggressive and still be polite. You can be
well mannered and not piss off or be a threat to those above, below or
on your level.

I found the book well written, organized and presented. The author states that there will be revised editions, as He polishes his work. I look forward to Howe's future editions.

-Seth

Smokin Joe
11-20-2005, 19:46
I too picked this up a few days ago (in pdf format). I'm about 1/4 into it and what I have read is very impressive and flows very well. Additionally, it is also a very easy and fast read.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is or wants to be a goodsupervisor or leader in our society.

NousDefionsDoc
12-03-2005, 19:29
I'm impressed so far. Should be required reading for Sluggos.

NousDefionsDoc
12-05-2005, 16:23
This is a really good book. A lot of things we take for granted.

I wonder what Osama Bin Mama is going to say about The Kid reading it...

Roguish Lawyer
12-25-2005, 21:28
My copy just arrived. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I will post some thoughts once I do.

Smokin Joe
12-25-2005, 23:49
VIRTUS INTENSIO

I finished a little while ago. Damn good book, yes there are some gramatical errors but so what, the knowledge and insight offered are invaluable. I am going to pick up the hard cover just so I can hi-light it.

I wonder if Mr. Howe would give me a group discount I would love to give this book to everyone in my COC.

If you are a leader in ANY capacity I think this should be MANDATORY reading before you ever give an order.

Goggles Pizano
12-26-2005, 00:21
VIRTUS INTENSIO

Damn good book, yes there are some gramatical errors but so what, the knowledge and insight offered are invaluable.

If you are a leader in ANY capacity I think this should be MANDATORY reading before you ever give an order.

I concur. Outstanding book and I commend you MSG Howe for your work! It will carry forward in my AO I promise you!

frostfire
12-26-2005, 18:45
The same thought process can be said for non combatants rushing to a gunfight. They are not coming for some social purpose, but rather to aid the enemy and they should be considered a threat. I have witnessed them bringing ammunition to enemy positions, spot and direct fire for enemy gunners and haul enemy wounded away. In all these cases, under proper ROE, they have lost their “civilian” status and are actively aiding the enemy. Further, if they are not running away from the battle, they are keeping bad company. Once again, these individuals have forsaken their civilian status and should be considered a combatant.
I have to get my hands on this book. I've heard this very mindset first time from another warrior:
http://multimedia.realcities.com:8080/ramgen/philly/news/archive/blackhawk/DELETHIC.rm

It's an old site, but if you never read it before, it is a better account IMHO than the movie and History Channel presentation
http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp

Master Sergeant Timothy "Griz" Martin. My hero and inspiration for the tip of the spear warriors. Rest in peace, you will never be forgotten Sir.

rubberneck
12-28-2005, 10:56
I'll have to give this one a whirl. I recently read "Equal or greater force" by Kit Cessna. Kit served with Paul Howe and MSG Howe reccomends his book on his website. I have read it three times and each time I have come away with more than I did the first.

Best of all it costs a whopping $3.95 to electronically download it from his publisher.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=27951

Surgicalcric
12-28-2005, 13:04
... Should be required reading for Sluggos.

And as such I am ordering one. I will read it when I need down time between class and study group.

Crip

Ghostrider
01-07-2006, 17:46
I'm impressed so far. Should be required reading for Sluggos.

Concur. I e-mailed Mr. Howe after a lengthy discussion with my CO (who borrowed the book from me) about some of his points. He took the time to e-mail me back to "validate" our discussion.

aricbcool
01-09-2006, 13:16
I'll add my positive review to the rest. Two things that I really liked about the book:

First, from a wide perspective, I found the leaderhip concepts to be very insightful and sound. Distributed leadership (i.e. letting your people make decisions at their level) is something that every organization can benefit from. What's impressed upon the reader is that distributed leadership becomes a necessity for survival once you enter combat.

This brings me to the next thing I liked about this book. Everything is oriented towards the ultimate goal of surviving, and leading, in a combat situation. There are no vague concepts that the reader has to adapt to their situation. This is not Zen and the art of Leadership or any such nonsense. In this book, MSG Howe has laid out an in depth, practical system that covers combat leadership from the individual to the organizational level. It truly is about what the title says it's about: Leadership and Training for the Fight.

Lastly, I'd recommend gettting the hard copy. The ability to highlight key passages, write in the margins, and read it anywhere, is well worth the extra money.

--Aric

eva05
01-11-2006, 16:22
Just finished this book on the train to work this morning.

Really good. The battle narratives were gripping and the "lessons gleaned" follow ups were well written and to the point. There's 2-3 typos but nothing to get hung up on.

Definitely made me think about a few things in regards to my own professioanl and personal disciplines.

j

Roguish Lawyer
05-15-2006, 08:23
I liked it. Very focused on soldiers and LEOs, but I think many of the lessons have broader application.

NousDefionsDoc
05-17-2006, 22:09
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1420889508/sr=8-1/qid=1147925675/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0642716-6615051?%5Fencoding=UTF8

gtcrispy
05-18-2006, 06:35
Went ahead and ordered it. Figured it would be good reading for newb like me.

NousDefionsDoc
05-18-2006, 21:32
Don't read it Homer, study it.;)

gtcrispy
05-18-2006, 22:41
Roger..I think thats what I meant but it didn't come out in my writing. :D

NousDefionsDoc
05-30-2006, 14:48
I am studying it again. The more I study it, the more impressed I am. It could be the basis for an excellent TC for SOCOM. Have to take out the donut munche...LEO stuff of course...;)

NousDefionsDoc
05-30-2006, 14:51
I'll have to give this one a whirl. I recently read "Equal or greater force" by Kit Cessna. Kit served with Paul Howe and MSG Howe reccomends his book on his website. I have read it three times and each time I have come away with more than I did the first.

Best of all it costs a whopping $3.95 to electronically download it from his publisher.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=27951
Dude, the link don't work no more. Got another?:munchin

LibraryLady
05-30-2006, 19:47
Dude, the link don't work no more. Got another?:munchin

It looks like the book is no longer available via electronic download from the author.

Here's a quick search of some online locations where it's available in a more traditional format

http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=1420809687

LL

NousDefionsDoc
05-31-2006, 05:57
Many thanks LL.

stone
05-31-2006, 19:00
My copy arrived today-- I have a feeling I'll be using this book as a study aid.... for years to come! :lifter

stone
05-31-2006, 19:03
And if I can just add one thing: Thank you MSG Howe!

STR8SHTR
07-23-2006, 19:10
Read this book also while on vacation last week.

I have to say I was very impressed with his insight on leadership. I learned alot from reading his book. I know a few other people who could learn from it as well.

He is also on my instructor list now as well.

huntcg
07-24-2006, 08:49
I recently read Leadership and Training for the Fight while in Hohenfels playing OPFOR. I personally thought it was very concise, and contained a wealth of excellent information. Upon finishing it, I passed it on to a couple of our PL's whom I think it helped a lot.

Thank you, MSG Howe.

mconrad
07-24-2006, 13:04
I'm gonna have to check this one out.

I picked up The Three Meter Zone: Commonsense Leadership for NCOs by CSM JD Pendry and Small Unit Leadership: A Commonsense Approach by Col Dandridge Malone. I picked them up on the off chance that I am allowed the opportunity to lead soldiers one day. Has anyone else read these? Just started studying The Three Meter Zone. It's pretty good so far.

MtnGoat
03-12-2007, 04:23
Had a local Doctor in Fayettebragg send it to us (The TM). Great reading, loved the lay out within the chapters, like its been posted here. A book in which leaders within our field (MIL & LEO, Fire, EMS, ETC) should be issued at school during leadership developement meetings or training.

Like the break down for Sqd/Tm level to the Org level for everything from Training, AARs, to leadership in the different roles Howe covers.

Sluggos.. If U don't have it, after RFF tell Ur loves ones this is what U want as a persent from Ur Anut, Uncle, Sister, Brother.. U get the point.

It takes 2000-3000 times to get something right.

Shans84
03-27-2007, 15:53
I just finished reading it a couple of days ago this book has changed the way I look at leadership and how it should be. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it, now I think I'll pass it on to my fellow SPC(P). Looking forward to more work by him !:)

Dive08
04-16-2007, 21:29
Good book and very succinct. Personally I found it a rewarding read as I begin my career, it showed me some things to look at/focus on/remember as I get started and reinforced some beliefs/attitudes I had already established myself.

MeC86
10-18-2008, 20:33
Big fan of the Combat Mindset portion of this book. I previously listened to similar works by Col. Grossman and found MSG Howe's perspective to be more aggressive and abrasive (which I like).

Excellent read. I'll be passing this one along to other members of my team.

NousDefionsDoc
10-18-2008, 20:36
I didn't find anything similar about Grossman's books.

The Reaper
10-18-2008, 20:48
I didn't find anything similar about Grossman's books.

I agree.

TR

MeC86
10-18-2008, 20:50
Col. Grossman has an audio recording I have heard called "The Bulletproof Mind." He speaks about preparing your mind for combat. As for his experience for which he bases his concepts....I am unsure.

Based on the respect MSG Howe has been given on this forum....I am going to assume he is an expert in what he preaches.

I'd love to attend one of his courses down in TX.

Smokin Joe
10-18-2008, 22:57
Col. Grossman has an audio recording I have heard called "The Bulletproof Mind." He speaks about preparing your mind for combat. As for his experience for which he bases his concepts....I am unsure.

Based on the respect MSG Howe has been given on this forum....I am going to assume he is an expert in what he preaches.

I'd love to attend one of his courses down in TX.

I believe you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Although they are both fruit one is VERY different than the other.

They both cover a topic but one studied it while the other lives, breaths, and eats it all day ever day.

That is just my understanding of the differences and .02 cents.

jdl141
10-20-2008, 06:48
Great book. Wish it was a mandatory read for those in the service and government.

lindy
12-25-2009, 16:49
...tell Ur loves ones this is what U want as a persent from Ur Anut, Uncle, Sister, Brother.. U get the point.

It takes 2000-3000 times to get something right.

I dropped many a hint over the past few weeks and viola! My oldest gave it to me this morning!

MtnGoat
01-03-2010, 11:00
I dropped many a hint over the past few weeks and viola! My oldest gave it to me this morning!

Great News!!! Great reading too.

See as the good book says.. You ask and you shall receive.

Enjoy and post a review