PDA

View Full Version : SFAS 001-06....Selected!

Aequitas
11-12-2005, 00:50
Well I'm finally back. Out of 384 that started...220 were left standing on the day of selection. Out of that 220 there were 160 of us selected. I have never been as proud as I am today. I literally just got back from the airport and I'm exhausted. I'm going to get some rest and then I'll be back on here to list some things about the training. I never thought hearing "Welcome the the Brotherhood" and then the Ballad of the GB could make so many grown men cry and explode with pure joy. Talk to you all in the morning.

Sully

dennisw
11-12-2005, 01:11
Congrats. Well done.

Martin
11-12-2005, 05:12
EXCELLENT! Congrats to you and everyone else selected!

Martin

Pete
11-12-2005, 05:59
Now that the easy part is over........:D

NousDefionsDoc
11-12-2005, 08:02
I'm going to get some rest and then I'll be back on here to list some things about the training.

You watch yourself here. You're not just another dumbass from the block, you're a Sluggo now.

Congratulations. Now, beat your face.

Aequitas
11-12-2005, 09:53
Roger that NDD.

1 NDD...2 NDD....3 NDD

I'm not going to G2 the course for anyone or give out any information that could possibly be used to spread rumors etc. about the course, but I will give some advice to those of you out there that are about to take the first step.

1. Don't quit EVER! They are always watching and are aware of the suck factor. Just do what you're told and "do the best you can." It's all meant to suck and kick your ass.

2. If you have never run or rucked in sand then I suggest you start asap. If you have never Land Naved in the dark in thick wooded areas go find some and stumble around for a bit. The draw monster got a lot of classmates' gear, maps, body parts (yes, we had a kid lose the whole first layer of his eyeball), etc.

3. Don't be an asshole or a know it all. You'd be surprised at the stats on how many combat vets w/ multiple tours either got peered or quit. Just be the guy that busts his ass and watches out for his team.

4. Don't listen to anyone who says they know what's coming next or they have the whole course G2ed. They have no freaking clue. The new SGM there is making the course totally unpredictable from 2 days of star or a 25 miler LRIM this class to whatever he wants in the class that follows mine. They want to see mature men that can handle unpredictable stressful situations.

Good Luck to those of you that are headed to SFAS or wanting to go.

Oh, the MOS I was selected for is 18D and my lang is Spanish :) Almost everyone but about 5-10 guys got their first choices on MOS and lang. If there are any 18Ds out there that wouldn't mind talking to me about the 18D course then please shoot me an email or private message. Thanks in advance. Also thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement. 18XDad I saw your son's class at MacKall when they came back in from Robin Sage. Atleast I think it was his class, but who knows. Looking forward to phase 2 SUT. Back to lurking in the shadows I go.

jon448
11-12-2005, 10:36
Congrats on getting selected, keep up the good work:lifter

Gypsy
11-12-2005, 12:00
Congrats Sully to you and those selected!

longtab
11-12-2005, 13:54
Congratulations! As stated before the easy part is over. FWIW... your reputation in SF started when you showed up for SFAS and it will follow you forever. So congratulations again.

I was originally tagged with 18D too because of my ASVAB scores. I was fortunate to switch my MOS to 18B after an unexpected amount of 18D candidates passed Phase 2 (then SUT's). I volunteered for the switch before they even asked for volunteers beating my good buddy and current ODA 18D to the team by a year!

I'm glad I made the switch. That's one COA, an other being to just finish the course and get to Group ASAP.

Glad ya made it! Hey... was this your FIRST TIME to SFAS? :D

vsvo
11-12-2005, 17:22
Congratulations!

longrange1947
11-12-2005, 18:23
Very good! Now remember the advice you gave for selection adn carry that forward into the rest of your schools and time in SF. :)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-12-2005, 20:24
Congratulations, now remained focus. When I was running what was then the Special Forces Department I had a couple of SF students officers come in sniveling like rats eating onions that they were going to be recycled because they were caught using roads and not following the instructions provided. I think the exact quote was, "Damn Sir, I was already tested and found good enough to get thru SFAS and into the course when exactly will I stop being tested?". I really don't think you want to hear my response, but suffice it to say that you have just been found to have the potential to enter the training program leading to qualification and what you do with this opportunity is up to you. Do not make the mistake that these young officers did and think that you have this thing in the bag. Good luck.

Jack Moroney

musashi
11-12-2005, 21:31
Congrats on your selection. I would like to inquire as to why the 60 or so that were left standing were not selected? So even if someone guts it out and never quits he might not be selected? I mean not to violate any rules or G2 the course just am curious what these individuals had/hadn't done that decided why they weren't selected.

The Reaper
11-12-2005, 21:34
Congrats on your selection. I would like to inquire as to why the 60 or so that were left standing were not selected? So even if someone guts it out and never quits he might not be selected? I mean not to violate any rules or G2 the course just am curious what these individuals had/hadn't done that decided why they weren't selected.

They failed to meet the standard.

We don't take everybody who tries out.

TR

stakk4
11-13-2005, 10:40
LOL @ The Draw Monster

I like the guy who said he saw little gnomes and elves at the draws.

"C'mon into me draw, Boyo! Its a straight shot right to your point. Think how much time ye'll save. Come have a look-see at me treasure! I'll show ye me pot o' gold!"

Of course, if you go in, they turn into evil lil bastards that scratch you up, steal your gear, and hang you from trees by hellvines!!

Seriously Aequitas, damn good job. Recover fast and good luck at Phase II.

S

Aequitas
11-13-2005, 11:57
I would like to inquire as to why the 60 or so that were left standing were not selected?

Out of those 60 or so 24 day no-gos, I think only 4 of them actually know why they were nonselects b/c they either got boarded or were told to go see the SGM. All the other guys got a slap on the back and were given orders back out to mother army or asked to come back. Oh and in case you haven't heard yet, SFAS has gone back to the if you quit (VW) you will be NTRed (Never to Return). There were also a bunch of 24 day nonselects that were given NTRs as well.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Oh and stakk you aren't kidding brother. I don't know how the kid managed it, but he was seriously hung up 5 feet off the ground in a draw with various pieces of gear at various heights all around him. He was lucky one of my buddies followed his joe trail otherwise those wild dogs would have got him ;)

Eagle5US
11-13-2005, 12:53
Congrats on your first baby step...you are currently wobbling away from your coffee table with arms extended and shakey knees.

Heed your own advice, you have passed the selection phase where your reputation has been initiated and your exposure has begun. Both of these things will continue to grow and follow you forever.

If you would prefer not to utilize the 18D course as an 18B/C preparatory program...read the following:
Sips of water through a firehose sure...but remember this:

If you graduate with a 70% or some other minimum standard-you will still graduate.
BUT-
That also means that if you take 10 of your buddies (or family members) who are ill or injured-you are prepard to choose three of them (30%) to die because you were too lazy to learn the medicine to save their life.

DO NOT BE SATISFIED WITH THE MINIMUM

Each MOS has it's own impact on the team and it's very own uniqueness. IF you make it as a medic, you are taking on a particular responsibility for the lives of your teammates and their families. Your fail them needlessly, the repurcussions may result in a sacrifice far greater than you can imagine.

<putting soapbox away>

Again...congrats on your accomplishment.

Eagle

stakk4
11-13-2005, 15:53
I don't know how the kid managed it, but he was seriously hung up 5 feet off the ground in a draw with various pieces of gear at various heights all around him.

ROFLMMFAO

See the map? Beware the blue lines, there be monsters here.

S

BMT (RIP)
11-13-2005, 16:19
Doedn't sound like the CMK I remember,but it's only been 40 years since I was there.

BMT

longtab
11-13-2005, 21:55

Survival ISN'T Selection.

Ambush Master
11-13-2005, 22:16
Doedn't sound like the CMK I remember,but it's only been 40 years since I was there.

BMT
Hell, They've even got "BRICK SHITHOUSES and SHOWERS" out there now !!!!

When I went through, the ONLY time you were warm was while you ate breakfast (C-Rats heated in a garbage can, by an immersion heater) while standing around the cut-off barrels of burning s**t.

Later.
Martin

NousDefionsDoc
11-13-2005, 23:01
Congrats on your first baby step...you are currently wobbling away from your coffee table with arms extended and shakey knees.

Heed your own advice, you have passed the selection phase where your reputation has been initiated and your exposure has begun. Both of these things will continue to grow and follow you forever.

If you would prefer not to utilize the 18D course as an 18B/C preparatory program...read the following:
Sips of water through a firehose sure...but remember this:

If you graduate with a 70% or some other minimum standard-you will still graduate.
BUT-
That also means that if you take 10 of your buddies (or family members) who are ill or injured-you are prepard to choose three of them (30%) to die because you were too lazy to learn the medicine to save their life.

DO NOT BE SATISFIED WITH THE MINIMUM

Each MOS has it's own impact on the team and it's very own uniqueness. IF you make it as a medic, you are taking on a particular responsibility for the lives of your teammates and their families. Your fail them needlessly, the repurcussions may result in a sacrifice far greater than you can imagine.

<putting soapbox away>

Again...congrats on your accomplishment.

Eagle

Excellent post.

Survival ISN'T Selection.
Exellent post.

krax
11-14-2005, 00:38
Aequitas, PM me with your roster #. I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Maybe I'll see you in Phase II.

Warrior-Mentor
11-15-2005, 15:54
Congrats...great stuff...best of luck as you continue in the "Q".
JM

ptwob106
11-28-2005, 17:36
This is my first post, but I've been a subscriber and a fan for awhile...

Let me just say "Thanks" for all the outstanding advice I gleaned from those who've been there and done it before I headed off for Selection last month... your thoughts and wisdom really paid off when I was in the sh*t and sucking big time. Also, thanks to Maj Martin for writing the book and helping us rookies figure out how to keep putting our best foot forward.

Earlier this month I too was Selected in class 001-06. I must say, it was the most humbling, moving, and profound experience of my life. I'm looking forward to continuing "doing my best" and earning the right to be a part of the brotherhood.

Thanks again for maintaining this site and for helping the new guys like myself.

PTWOB106

The Reaper
11-28-2005, 17:49
This is my first post, but I've been a subscriber and a fan for awhile...

Let me just say "Thanks" for all the outstanding advice I gleaned from those who've been there and done it before I headed off for Selection last month... your thoughts and wisdom really paid off when I was in the sh*t and sucking big time. Also, thanks to Maj Martin for writing the book and helping us rookies figure out how to keep putting our best foot forward.

Earlier this month I too was Selected in class 001-06. I must say, it was the most humbling, moving, and profound experience of my life. I'm looking forward to continuing "doing my best" and earning the right to be a part of the brotherhood.

Thanks again for maintaining this site and for helping the new guys like myself.

PTWOB106

An intro in the proper place would be a good start.

You might read the stickies and introductions while you are at it.

TR

Carbine
12-11-2005, 19:16
I was in the Sept class, and wasn't selected. Didn't quit, just not selected. Surprised a lot of people. Surprised me, I worked my tail off. Only 4 of us got returns. I left with kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe me just whining. I got back and started getting e-mails from the Europe recruiting 1SG. Then the SFAS Commander even called the 1SG requesting us 4 to come back. If they want us to come back, and to go to the extent of the commander calling the recruiters. Why didn't they just select us the first time. I then decided I needed to stop whining, and just to back. Then found out I had a hernia from SFAS

The Reaper
12-11-2005, 20:15
I was in the Sept class, and wasn't selected. Didn't quit, just not selected. Surprised a lot of people. Surprised me, I worked my tail off. Only 4 of us got returns. I left with kinda a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe me just whining. I got back and started getting e-mails from the Europe recruiting 1SG. Then the SFAS Commander even called the 1SG requesting us 4 to come back. If they want us to come back, and to go to the extent of the commander calling the recruiters. Why didn't they just select us the first time. I then decided I needed to stop whining, and just to back. Then found out I had a hernia from SFAS

Carbine:

This is very close to being a snivel.

You were not selected because you failed to meet some of the standards, probably several.

You were told that you were non-selected, but you could return because they want you to work on the things they counseled you on as deficiencies before you left, and to come back better prepared next time. I strongly suspect that they told you specifically why you were not selected. I can go check your student record, if they did not.

They contacted your CoC and recruiter to let them know that you did not quit, but failed to meet the standard and that they would like to have you come back prepared and do better next time. That was for your benefit, not theirs.

If this is unclear to you, you may not be what we are looking for. Many are called, but few are chosen. I know some who did not make the cut till their third try or more. They came back, they tried again, and they learned from their mistakes.

Good luck.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
12-11-2005, 20:45
I think I know at least one of the reasons he wasn't selected...

Gentlemen, please remember that selection is a continuous process in our world. And it is as intangible as it is tasks, conditions, and standards.

At the end of the day, there is really only question that need be answered: "Would I take him on my Team five minutes after I pass him?"

That is really all there is to it.

Surgicalcric
12-11-2005, 20:47
Aequitas, PM me with your roster #. I'm sure we crossed paths at some point. Maybe I'll see you in Phase II.

Its about time...

And coming from me that says something...lol

Best of luck in PH-II.

Crip

Carbine
12-11-2005, 21:28
Ok maybe that was a snivel, my bad. Just wish I got selected, had a lot riding on it. Now I'm stuck in Italy for two more years, and on top of that I got this eefin hernia to add to the kick in the nutz. Does anyone know how long that's gonna keep me out of the game. To everyone who got selected Congrats and best of luck. At least you don't have to run on the rocks anymore!

longrange1947
12-11-2005, 22:59
A hernia is no big deal. I got one in 69 during a field op with 10th and it was operated on and I was in 1st Gp in 6 months enjoying the scenery. I wound up with another in 97 from an auto accident, seat belts. Seems the old surgical method was not as good as the newer, I had a re-hernia. The newer surgery is less invasive and I was to be an out patient. It was two very small incisions.

Do not come out of anesthesia choking out your nurse because you are having diaphragmatic cramps and thinking she is smothering you. It will cost you a night in the hospital. :D

I do recommend that you step back and re-evaluate yourself, before you start feeling sorry for yourself again.

Stiletto11
12-12-2005, 18:23
Carbine, I wouldn't call duty in Vicenza being stuck. I was there from 82-84 with the 509th and it was a great experience. Go run the steps of Monte Berrico with a ruck once you recover from you're hernia. Listen to TR's advice!

krax
12-13-2005, 08:08
Crip, PM me with your new phone # sometime. Asshat. :D

Surgicalcric
12-13-2005, 09:08
Crip, PM me with your new phone # sometime. Asshat. :D

Yeah , yeah...

Crip