PDA

View Full Version : sere

dennisw
11-11-2005, 19:37
Just talk with my son. He just finished the last task - sere. He's sounds pretty bad. He once got jumped by 20 guys who kicked the .....out him and he never said anything. But he's sounds like ....I don't really know what he sounds like.

I don't know what happens in SERE, but it must be pretty radical.

Anyway, the good news is that he made it through. Hopefully, he'll be back to normal in a few days. Then again, maybe you're always a little different after that.

CoLawman
11-11-2005, 20:41
Glad to hear he is alright.

Razor
11-11-2005, 21:00
SERE isn't anything radical. Its can be tiring and stressful, and students are put in various situations that many have never been in before, so its unfamiliar and uncomfortable, but not its radical, except for the learning curve. Its a great course, and I'm very glad it was added to the initial training program for all SF soldiers.

Gordon
11-11-2005, 21:07
The way I look at sere is that it is as bad as you make it on yourself. I personally had no issues in terms of after effects of the school, other then a dream about it once every month or so. :) I don't know your son personally but I belive it is safe to say he will not be a different person in personalty just alittle more aware of his surroundings.

Ambush Master
11-11-2005, 21:16
I don't know what happens in SERE, but it must be pretty radical.

Anyway, the good news is that he made it through. Hopefully, he'll be back to normal in a few days. Then again, maybe you're always a little different after that.

When put into perspective, being tracked by dogs, hunted for at night(before we owned it) by people with flashlights , and not knowing what could possibly be on or around any LZ that you go into, SERE is a wakeup call to what you WILL possibly face.

It was close to 20 years before I could even talk about what I had been involved in, with my parents. Support him and don't be aggravated if he is not very willing to talk about what he's doing !!

Take care.
AM

dennisw
11-12-2005, 01:10
Thanks for the advice and the support. I spoke with my son two times after the initial conversation and he seemed a world better.

Strange night. During our first conversation, the history channel had a program on the Son Tay raid. After we spoke, they had a program about the SOG missions which focused on team Alabama. On the other channel the Green Beret with John Wayne was playing. I know it's veterans day, but still. I felt like if I went outside and started dancing it would start raining.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice. My mind is still whirring.

18C Dad
11-13-2005, 22:06
DennisW,

Glad to hear your son survived SERE training. As I mentioned in a PM to you, it was amazing to hear just the non-classified tidbits my son was able to talk about. You will enjoy the time in just a few short weeks when your son can return home to your family. Savor those moments and pass along my best wishes to all.

Take care DW.

Spook
11-13-2005, 23:17
I think SERE is an invaluable tool for those who require it.

Congrats to your son on his passing that phase of the evoloution.

blustr18b
11-14-2005, 11:13
Geez, my son is up there right now.

blustr18b

dennisw
11-14-2005, 18:47
Congrats to your son on his passing that phase of the evoloution.

Thanks for the note Spook. Actually my son passed the final phase. He's completed the whole program, and we're going to the graduation next week. Thanks to everyone for the advice and well wishes.

Without blowing too much smoke up anyone's ...., this site is one of the only places you can go to and find relevant folks with interesting and substantive opinions or information. Not to beat a dead horse, but I would like to thank the folks who put this together and monitor it in order to maintain the current level of professionalism.

Thanks