PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Surefire® Model 600 Kit 01 6v Scout Tactical Light & M73 Rail System

NousDefionsDoc
11-07-2005, 15:42
Introduction
We recently received the Surefire ® Model 600 Kit 01 6v Scout Tactical Light System (light) and Surefire® M73 rail system for testing and evaluation (T&E). The kit was offered and accepted with no compensation other than that the team would keep the kit following the T&E. No member of the team had or has any business relationship whatsoever with Surefire®.

Conditions
The kit was tested during training conditions in a country with one of the longest running insurgencies in the world. Testing was conducted by a variety of personnel and under conditions ranging from arms room (assembly) to marksmanship range to shoothouse. In addition, the light was used for approximately 4 weeks as one Operator’s primary weapon light. Weather during the testing period ranged from hot to inclement. Average altitude for testing areas was approximately 2,500 meters.
The test team included former and current Special Operations Forces Operators and Law Enforcement personnel. Assembly was conducted by host nation support personnel.

Test weapon was a new model M4 carbine. The carbine had a KAC vertical foregrip and Surefire® M73 rails installed.

Operations included marksmanship range, shoothouse, movement by vehicle and short range patrolling in mountainous terrain.

Results
Overall, the test team was very impressed with the Surefire® Model 600 Kit 01 6v Scout Tactical Light System and the M73 rail system. The system performed with the same degree of reliability we have come to expect from all Surefire® products. We really appreciated the light weight in comparison with our standard light system – the Surefire M951C. The illumination was more than sufficient for our operations, at 65 Lumens. We also liked the smaller form factor. With the requirements for weapon add-ons increasing seemingly daily, lighter weight and smaller form factor are significant factors.

Assembly
We allowed host nation armorers to install the system in order to evaluate complexity. They managed to properly and completely install the light in approximately 10 minutes following the instructions in a second language and one comment from an Operator.
The provided hardware allowed for mounting the light system with no alterations required on the weapon.
The lock up on the rail system was outstanding – rock solid.
The M73 Rail System proved easier to install than the similar KAC system.

Use
The light system performed very well under all conditions. Illumination was outstanding. The tape switch was easy to manipulate, even when the weapon was held in awkward positions. The beam was in line with weapon and sights. No problems were encountered during ancillary operations such as searches and prisoner control.
The system remained rock solid after numerous shots fired and even being bumped into walls and doorways a time or twenty.
Areas for Improvement
The only recommendation we have is that the Operator should use a VFG with a tape switch cut out, as the recess in this foregrip will facilitate use of the tape switch and help protect the switch.

Conclusion
In conclusion, we highly recommend the Surefire® Model 600 Kit 01 6v Scout Tactical Light and M73 Rail System without reservations. Like all Surefire® products we have used, it is excellent kit. In fact, Surefire® are the only lights we use.

*Photos courtesy of kgoerz

NousDefionsDoc
11-07-2005, 15:46
Scout Tactical Light

NousDefionsDoc
11-07-2005, 15:54
Scout Tactical Light

Air.177
11-07-2005, 16:08
Thanks for the Review NDD

I recently picked one of these up as well (Basic LED Scout light that is) and have been satisfied with the light in general. The only issue I have had is that the click tailcap is occasionally less than positive in it's operation. The tape switch works great and the beam is impressive, especially for it's size and weight.

Good times,
Blake

The Reaper
11-07-2005, 16:25
The military version (M600 Kit 01) comes with a large incandescent head for longer range lighting and for use with an IR filter (included) as the LED head emits no IR wavelength light.

Those who have a Surefire E2D or E can also install that head on the M600 for a bit more range than the LED head. All of the heads put out about 60-65 lumens. The advantage of the LED is that it will not blow from use, provides a broad light pattern, and will drain the batteries down to the last milliamp.

The light itself comes with the push button tailcap and the tape switch, which is QD for keeping the light off or swapping to different length switches.

The light, mount, and switch together weigh about 4.5 ounces.

TR

Peregrino
11-07-2005, 16:30
I just got one last week. As NDD pointed out I'll be ordering a Tango Down foregrip for the recessed tape switch slot. I like the fact that the kit also came with an incandescent bulb assy w/IR filter. Nice to have a choice. It beats the X200 I was using when weight was a factor just because the tape switch is so much easier to manipulate. It's a nice setup - though not as brutally overbuilt as the 951. Now I need to get an adapter that will let me screw the laser head into it and shave off another few ounces. (Man's gotta have his toys! :D ) My .02 - Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
11-07-2005, 17:31
Excellent review. This thread is what this board is all about.

STR8SHTR
11-07-2005, 19:24
Good read and thanks for the review NDD!!

militarymoron
11-15-2005, 10:00
great review as always NDD. for those that like to mount the scout in the 4:30 or 7:30 position and use the thumb cap; i found the yankeehill angle mount to fit the bill (until the SF angle mount is available - c'mon TR :) ).
i really like the scout lights - plus with the P61 bulb in the incandescent head you can up the lumens to 120.
cheers,
MM

GackMan
11-15-2005, 21:30
nice review - thanks for taking the time.

I have a 95 and a 96 and the 96 is just too damn big. The tape switch tail cap on the 600 seems to look a lot better and more durable. It looks like it is smaller (lighter?). I like the idea of an LED for recoil/shock versus an incandescent bulb.

How does the 600 compare to the older M95?

Can you swap the batteries without removing it from the weapon?

What LED lamp head is that if I wanted a stand alone? can that be swapped out with an E2D?

Cincinnatus
11-16-2005, 19:38
Nice. Can I have it?

The Reaper
11-16-2005, 21:52
nice review - thanks for taking the time.

I have a 95 and a 96 and the 96 is just too damn big. The tape switch tail cap seems to look a lot better and more durable. It looks like it is smaller (lighter?). I like the idea of an LED for recoil/shock versus an incandescent bulb.

How does the 600 compare to the older M95?

Can you swap the batteries without removing it from the weapon?

What LED lamp head is that if I wanted a stand alone? can that be swapped out with an E2D?

The tape switch on the M600 is QD, it just unplugs from the tailcap, permitting you to secure the switch as well as deactivate the light if desired.

The LED is more durable, more efficient, and longer running. It does not have the hot center spot of an incandescent, so the beam is wider, but does not cast as far. The LED is good out to 50 meters or so, and is perfect for indoor and CQB work.

The M600 weighs 4.5 ounces with the LED head, vs. the pound of so for the M9XX series lights. The size difference, as you can see, is like an E2 or L4 vs. the M2 or M3, with a bulky mount.

Yes, you can change the batteries with it mounted (just unscrew the head), though with only one thumbscrew, you should be able to remove and reinstall the light in less than 20 seconds.

The 65 lumen LED head is basically a 5 watt KL4 head. You can use the 65 lumen LU60A series head included in the military kit, up it to the 120 lumen P61lamp, or use any of the E2 heads, including the 60 lumen E2E incandescent head (which will reach out further than the KL4 LED, with a narrower beam and reduced run time.

HTH.

TR