Pete
11-05-2005, 04:59
BMT

Got me by ten minutes.:D

Another in the series.

Pete

BMT (RIP)
11-05-2005, 05:05
Early bird get's the worm and ain't hungry!!!

BMT

Doc
11-05-2005, 06:16
I use to Deer hunt with Gordon. The man loves the woods and spends a lot of time refining his survival skills. He goes on Rendezvous for fun.

dennisw
11-05-2005, 08:30
Thanks for posting the stories.

gtcrispy
11-05-2005, 14:55
I had Mr. Smith as my cadre during our E&E portion. He did an excellent job teaching us out there.

The Reaper
11-05-2005, 17:52
CSM (R) Smith is a legend.

If I were to be stranded in the woods living off the land with somebody, he would be at the top of the list.

Mssrs. Harsey and Reeve have met him as well.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
11-06-2005, 16:09
[COLOR="Orange
What is the difference in meaning or implication between "survivalist" and [he] who can survive in the wild?

FrontSight

The difference is the "wacko factor". Survivalists are the folks that stockpile food, ammo, and associated material to deal with all real and imagined disasters. A person who can survive in the wild deals with material he usually carries on his person and that he(she) can find available in the area into which they are introduced or thrusted which now requires them to use means with which to satisfy the requirements to sustain life and carry on to accomplish the task/mission that placed them in the situation. We survive by "stockpiling knowledge" and developing necessary skill sets which will allow us to deal with the realities of the enemy, weather and terrain. Survivalists don't deal with realities but paranoia, fiction, mis-guided emotions, and are more akin to rabid sheep being guided by a charasmatic leader who creates the fictions to which his misquided flock subscribes.

Bill Harsey
11-06-2005, 17:02
CSM (R) Smith is a legend.

If I were to be stranded in the woods living off the land with somebody, he would be at the top of the list.

Mssrs. Harsey and Reeve have met him as well.

TR
It was out privilege to meet him and a most interesting visit.
Thank you TR.

blustr18b
11-08-2005, 13:56
So that's what mine is up to the next 3weeks.. he's going to love my cooking after that..LOL . That helicopter ride looks fairly wild! He just finished Lang (whew) and started SERE ...this week. He sent me to this site
http://www.training.sfahq.com/survival_training.htm to look at. We have really enjoyed the Fayetteville articles. Some are out of date now from the website, but I called the paper and the librarian mailed copies to me. Now all I need is a tenative graduation date, so I can figure out getting Grandpa across country! (he said something about a Dec graduation being added, but wasn't sure...)
Thanks Guys!
blustr18b

CoLawman
11-08-2005, 14:46
So that's what mine is up to the next 3weeks.. he's going to love my cooking after that..LOL . That helicopter ride looks fairly wild! He just finished Lang (whew) and started SERE ...this week. He sent me to this site
http://www.training.sfahq.com/survival_training.htm to look at. We have really enjoyed the Fayetteville articles. Some are out of date now from the website, but I called the paper and the librarian mailed copies to me. Now all I need is a tenative graduation date, so I can figure out getting Grandpa across country! (he said something about a Dec graduation being added, but wasn't sure...)
Thanks Guys!
blustr18b

Congratulations to you and your son! One more step completed. How did the language go? Good luck to him in SERE!