PDA

View Full Version : ACOG Fogging

Gene Econ
11-02-2005, 21:00
Guys:

I have searched this site for ACOGs and found more hits than I can possibly read dating back a few years. I have read the more recent writings on the ACOG and this issue hasn't come up so I will mention it and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Am working with some guys using 12 each brand new, issued ACOGs. We zeroed and worked with them yesterday. It rained quite a bit during the day and the temp was in the upper 40s. The guys dried them off and they went into an arms room. Today four of these 12 ACOGS fogged up badly. Of these four, one was fogged up when it got to the range. The other three fogged up within minutes of the sun making a short appearance.

BTW: I had a shooter swap his fogged up ACOG with a M-145 MGO and it worked out superbly on the carbine with issued 5.56 ball to 500 yards. We will bring another five or six MGOs out tomorrow as it will be raining again.

Anyone else have fogging problems with issued ACOGs?

What happened I wonder?

I can not fathom Trijicon to make an optic that can't take a transition from cold wet to warm and dry.

Gene

The Reaper
11-02-2005, 21:06
Gene:

I have never seen that in many years of ACOG use.

In the past, while torture testing, I have dropped them several feet onto a concrete floor, then tossed them into a hot tub overnight, and put them directly into a pitcher of water which I put in the freezer until they were frozen soldi, never got internal fogging or problems shooting the next day.

Sending you a PM now.

TR

Razor
11-03-2005, 13:40
Note to self: Don't lend any rifle optics to TR! :D