PDA

View Full Version : Million Dollar Baby -- Clint Eastwood & Morgan Freemen

QRQ 30
10-27-2005, 06:48
I hope this fits here. I just saw the movie but am sure it was a book. It has a scene which really illustrates the "Welfare State" mentality I see lately.

The girl fighter finally starts making big $$$ and buys a house for her mother. She takes them to the house and the sister complains that there is no furniture. The kicker is the mother who is just flat pissed because the house will cause her to lose her welfare and "I can't live without my welfare." The girl finally got pissed and said the house was her mother's and if she didn't want it sell it.

At the end the girl had won the world title and was a millionaire. However she was totally disabeled and on a respirator due to a blow to the head. Up shows mom and a lawyer trying to get the girl to sign over all of her winnings and WBA benefits. The girl ran her mother off.

I guess the reason this movie didn't take off too well was that it was released during the time of the controversy of pulling the plug on the girl in Florida. At the end Clint Eastwood pulls the plug on his fighter.

T

CPTAUSRET
10-27-2005, 07:59
"Million Dollar Baby"?

dennisw
10-27-2005, 08:08
I believe the movie did pretty well. Grossed over $100 million and was a critical success:

"Seventy-four-year-old actor, director and producer Clint Eastwood scored big on Sunday night as his "Million Dollar Baby", a film about an underdog female boxer, won four top awards. "

However, you are right about the movie showing the welfare attitude. Most folks probably think the Mother's attitude was rare. Unfortunately, the situation in New Orleans, etc. shows that it is more prevalent then we like to believe.

QRQ 30
10-27-2005, 08:18
"Million Dollar Baby"?

Dayem, I mis-read the jacket. I must have caught the other title from the previews.:o

No wonder I hadn't heard of it!!!:rolleyes:

I couldn't understand how the title matched the story.!!