PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music

Huey14
10-26-2005, 05:14
Lately I have found myself experimenting with Classical music. Quite like Beethoven but Mozart isn't really appealling, to me at least.

Anyone else a fan?

The Reaper
10-26-2005, 08:01
Lately I have found myself experimenting with Classical music. Quite like Beethoven but Mozart isn't really appealling, to me at least.

Anyone else a fan?

Good for background in a place where you need patience and focus.

Great live!

Have you tried Wagner?

TR

Razor
10-26-2005, 08:28
I like some of Pachelbel's pieces (esp. Canon in D major, as it lends itself to many variations quite easily), along with Tchaikovsky and the others already mentioned.

jatx
10-26-2005, 09:33

Great live!

Have you tried Wagner?

TR

If you like Wagner, you should check out Gustav Holst's The Planets.

CPTAUSRET
10-26-2005, 11:07

Great live!

Have you tried Wagner?

TR

"Ride of the Valkyrie"

QRQ 30
10-26-2005, 11:15
"Ride of the Valkyrie"

That figures!!!:D :D :D

I was raised on Classical, swing and Broadway music and love it. The only place I listen to it now is while driving alone in the truck. The rest of the clan just don't have no class.:munchin

tyrsnbdr
10-26-2005, 11:21
Try "Thunder Classics." It samples a bunch of different composers with the louder classical tunes.

vsvo
10-26-2005, 11:40
...while driving alone in the truck.
Same here Terry. I listen on XM Radio, it's great for wicked DC traffic jams.

QRQ 30
10-26-2005, 11:44
Same here Terry. I listen on XM Radio, it's great for wicked DC traffic jams.

I have SIRIUS. I recommend sattelite radio to anyone who likes music -- any kund. I have a CD changer and haven't used it since getting sattelite radio,

Gypsy
10-26-2005, 11:54
Tchaikovsky and Beethoven are a couple of favorites.

A friend of mine listened to classical all the time while she was pregnant, as her son grew up he was/is enthralled with it.

Martin
10-26-2005, 13:59
I've only recently had my eyes opened to classical music. It just so happens that the city library has an online catalog with hundreds (total file count is currently 1127) of classical works.

I need to listen to more to form a better opinion, but so far I enjoy Tchaikovskij and Beethoven.

Saw Swan Lake in St Petersbourg back in March - quite an experience.

Martin

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-26-2005, 16:16
Like the symphonies of Bhrams, Beethoven, Mozart (especially 40 and 41). Like some selections of Rossini, Wagner, Bach, the Strauss family, a couple of the Russian composers, but not big on operas but do like some of the overtures from some of them and a handful of others.

QRQ 30
10-26-2005, 16:29
I was on leave in Rome in 1966. I was amazed to hear opera being played on the radios in the houses.

one-zero
10-26-2005, 16:40
I have XM radio as well, and will get the portable soon. As for classical music it's good when I need to even out my BP or as background when studying...Sure as heck isn't something we talk about in the team rm though! back to the weapons forum...

NousDefionsDoc
10-26-2005, 17:20
Wagner, Mendelssohn, anything done by YoYo Ma

Kyobanim
10-26-2005, 18:05
PDQ Bach . . . Classical in overdrive. Very nice stuff, especially if you're into rock. Handel has been one of my favorites since high school chorus and Schuman.

Peregrino
10-26-2005, 18:45
Classical is probably 90+% of what I listen to. Check out http://www.wcpe.org
They're my favorite local station and they do internet broadcast worldwide in five formats (at last count). I'm looking into satelite radio for my truck so I won't have to lug around so many CDs. Gets annoying having to dig them out from under the accumulated "gear" in the jump seats - especially now that the winter kit is going in the truck. Anybody got any preferences for model/service for the sat radio? I would prefer something that hard-wires and mounts cleanly in a F-350.

ghuinness
10-26-2005, 18:52
Bach, Mozart, Pachelbel, Vivaldi... and Vanessa Mae anything. Tend to like music which complements Dressage :) .

The Reaper
10-26-2005, 19:03
Classical is probably 90+% of what I listen to. Check out http://www.wcpe.org
They're my favorite local station and they do internet broadcast worldwide in five formats (at last count). I'm looking into satelite radio for my truck so I won't have to lug around so many CDs. Gets annoying having to dig them out from under the accumulated "gear" in the jump seats - especially now that the winter kit is going in the truck. Anybody got any preferences for model/service for the sat radio? I would prefer something that hard-wires and mounts cleanly in a F-350.

I prefer XM. You can listen to mine anytime.

TR

QRQ 30
10-26-2005, 19:13
I have SIRIUS. I can't compare to XM. I understand they are similar. My set is hard wired as far as power and antenna goes but I have the Sportsman which transmits to the FM reciever. It is detachable and the unit can be used in various docking units.

I do have trouble in trees. At least here in SC. I can cover the antenna with my hand and block the signal. That may be a consideration if you are in a wooded area.

SIRIUS is adding a fourth Sat which may help.

BTW: Did y'all know that the sat. orbits had to be purchased and SIRIUS uses the orbits of ex-Soviet spy sats.

Maisy
10-26-2005, 19:22
Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture.

I am not a great fan in general of classical, but this piece.... love it.

aricbcool
10-26-2005, 20:13
Bach and Beethoven, my two favorites. My favorite piece of all time is "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" by Bach.

As a side note, I'm going to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in November. They mix it up a bit, playing classical and Christmas tunes with the addition of electric guitars and pyrotechnics. :cool:

--Aric

The Reaper
10-26-2005, 20:22
Bach and Beethoven, my two favorites. My favorite piece of all time is "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" by Bach.

As a side note, I'm going to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in November. They mix it up a bit, playing classical and Christmas tunes with the addition of electric guitars and pyrotechnics. :cool:

--Aric

I like that piece as well.

Taking the family to see the TSO, too. I hear that it is one heck of a show.

TR

aricbcool
10-26-2005, 20:40
I like that piece as well.

Taking the family to see the TSO, too. I hear that it is one heck of a show.

TR

Here's one for you: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber, or adopted for the choir as "Agnus Dei".

I got to see my Mother perform it with the "Master Choral", they're the choir portion of the Boise Symphony. Very moving piece. :boohoo

I'm going to TSO on the 26th, right after Thanksgiving. Perfect way to break in the Christmas season.

Regards,
Aric

vsvo
10-26-2005, 20:50
Anybody got any preferences for model/service for the sat radio?
My XM hardware came with the OEM radio in the truck. I got suckered into the free trial and never left - very clever these marketing types.

I would look at the programming lineups and see which one you prefer, they mostly have the same content, but each has certain exclusive programming.

Huey14
10-26-2005, 21:03
In fact, I did get some Tchaikovsky. 1812 Overture. Famous peace but it really seems to draw a good musical picture of the French advance to Moscow (I think?).

I'll try some of the others listed here, too. Thanks for the recommendations.

I got into it because I found I couldn't study for exams with AC/DC, Maiden, et el going in the background :D

frostfire
10-26-2005, 22:34
I got into it because I found I couldn't study for exams with AC/DC, Maiden, et el going in the background :D
just passing along the words from study seminar.
For studying, listen to Baroque era classical music eg. Vivaldi's winter, Bach's Kommt Ihre Tochter etc.

Anyone listen to (classical) sountracks, Danny Elfman gothic scores in particular?

aricbcool
10-26-2005, 22:40
Anyone listen to (classical) sountracks, Danny Elfman gothic scores in particular?

I have a huge collection of soundtracks that I listen to while studying, or writing, or sometimes just because.

When I get home, I'll post a list of what I've got.

If you want some good classical without having to purchace a bunch of different CDs, I'd recommend the soundtrack to "Master and Commander, the Far Side of the World". It's got a bunch of great classical pieces that I listen to quite frequently, including a cello piece played by Yo Yo Ma, that is just heaven. (Prelude From The Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 In G Major, BWV 1007 to be specific.)

--Aric

Edited to add: To start, I'm currently listening to the 2 disc "Phantom of the Opera" movie soundtrack, while writing a term paper here at work. It's got some great vocal pieces that are catchy, beautiful, and yet not too distracting. More later. :munchin

Edited to add, again: Ok, so I didn't make it home as early as I would have liked. So, soundtracks I like and recommend...

Braveheart
Conan the Barbarian
Fellowship of the Ring
Passion of the Christ
Gladiator
um... That's all I can think of at this point... :)

SnafuRacer
10-27-2005, 07:12
Here's one for you: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber, or adopted for the choir as "Agnus Dei".

It was used in the movie Platoon, and a couple of years ago, DJ Tiesto (as did others with different pieces) made a nice trance remix of it.

A great composer that I haven't seen here is Maurice Ravel. Listen to "Bolero".

dennisw
10-27-2005, 07:55
I thought classical music was old Zepplin and Hendrix tunes. To rip off Will Rogers, "I go to the symphony once a week, whether I need the sleep or not."

frostfire
06-07-2006, 23:50
V for Vendetta put a whole new feel to the 1812 Overture

..and speaking of "classical":

(copy and paste)youtube.com/watch?v=ZSO59yTSW-I&search=nothing%20else%20matters
(copy and paste)youtube.com/watch?v=xqUXDdJ3C-c&search=apocalyptica
(copy and paste)youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0TikGmVz4&search=apocalyptica

x SF med
06-08-2006, 08:34
Berlioz is good 'active' classical - big Bach fan, and Mozart's non operatic stuff

Slantwire
06-08-2006, 09:08
A lot of classical is an "acquired taste," but there is a lot of "accessible" work around.

If you like a lot of boom-boom-boom:
Stick with the Russians. Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, March Slav, Shostokovich's Festive Overture, Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, a lot of Rimsky-Korsakov (Scheherazade comes to mind immediately). Rhespighi's Church Windows fits well, despite being Italian. Mixing in some German (Wagner, Beethoven) is a good way to transition to more moderate stuff (more Beethoven, Brahms). Saint-Saens has some fun stuff too (Danse Macabre, the Danse Bacchanale from Samson et Deliliah). Parts of Brahms' German Requiem. The Russian Sailor's Dance from Gliere's The Red Poppy.

If you like the the calming, soothing stuff:
Pachelbel's Canon, Barber's Adagio for Strings, JS Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze and Air on the G String. Copeland's Saturday Night Waltz (from Rodeo), some Haydn.

If you want the heavy intellectual "study music":
Go for Baroque. Mozart, JS Bach, Handel, Telemann. Vivaldi can work here, too.

For something fun in-between:
A lot of Dvorak (Slavonic Dances, Serenade for Strings, Serenade for Winds, Festive Overture, seventh and ninth symphonies), Smetana's Moldau and The Bartered Bride, Brahms' Hungarian Dances and Academic Festival Overture. Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

If you like opera or 12-tone music:
Don't ask me, I can't stand the stuff.

If you're big on movie soundtracks:
John Williams is the big name (Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, etc). Williams also does a lot of Olympic music. Howard Shore did Lord of the Rings and part of Last of the Mohicans. Hans Zimmer did Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Crimson Tide, The Rock, The Lion King, etc. (Odd trivia - Zimmer played keyboard / synthesizer for the Bangles.)

Modern twists on orchestral / symphonic music:
Metallica dabbled with this; the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is a spin off of the 80s metal band Savatage, which mixed metal and orchestral a lot. PDQ Bach (Peter Schickle) can be a lot of fun, but he relies on a lot of musical jokes that most people don't get.

For something other than the Western Europe (German / Italian) traditions:
Following Yo-Yo Ma is a good start. His Silk Road Project has a lot of interesting Mid-East and Central Asian work. He's also done a really good CD of Argentine tango (Astor Piazolla is the natural headliner). The recent surge of major "artsy" movies from China (Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc) has some very Chinese "feel" without being pentatonic. I leave Indian music to the sitar-picking hippies. Private record shops in flaming-leftist enclaves are good for having stuff from all over the world - it feeds their pretentions of worldliness.

aestreet
06-08-2006, 11:26
Mozart's "Sonata for Two Pianos in D major" its supposed to be great for listening when learning something new.

Nuke
06-08-2006, 16:27
I'm a big fan of listening to classical especially while studying or writing a paper. I've also had good luck with movie soundtracks and bands like Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss. I like to throw a little ACDC in the playlist just to wake myself up from time to time. :D

Brother Rat
06-09-2006, 07:04
The only place I listen to it now is while driving alone in the truck. The rest of the clan just don't have no class.:munchin

Same here. I listen to it while I'm driving by myself, but my brothers hate it.:boohoo

Tubbs
06-11-2006, 01:42
Vivaldi (although technically from the Baroque era), especially "The Four Seasons" concherto. "La Primavera" is my favorite piece from that work. Also, for a more modern take on classical try out the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They're pretty rockin".

Voronov
07-10-2010, 19:49
I've always been a big fan of classical versus the "normal" pop scene. J.S. Bach is a must have for any collection if you love the cello or play. Anywhere from the Air Strings to the Cello Suites. Rostroprovich pulls all of them off exquisitely.

Of course, if you're a player, his work is something to be taken seriously. I've been working for a little over three years on just a few of the suites, and at times it just becomes overwhelmingly complicated.

Though my favourite piece has to be Cello Suite No. 5 i-Prelude. BMV 1011-1 I believe.

mojaveman
07-10-2010, 21:37
On a quiet cold overcast afternoon after a few glasses of white wine while sitting at a table and looking out the window of an Old World establishment in Berlin or Dresden...

"Die Moldau" by Smetana

"Overture to Tannhauser" by Wagner

Opening to "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky

TOMAHAWK9521
07-11-2010, 03:29
Anything from Ralph Vaughn Williams. Holst's "The Planets" is good also.

greenberetTFS
07-11-2010, 14:53
There are two that come to mind that I really enjoy hearing........ :) They are: Barbers, Adagio for Strings and Pachelbels, Canon in D Minor.............;)

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
07-11-2010, 15:01
Carl Orff, Carmina Burana.

TR

The Reaper
07-11-2010, 16:15
Great one! However isn't it Carl Orff?

Carl Orff?

Where???:D

TR

BigJimCalhoun
07-11-2010, 20:45
Vivaldi (although technically from the Baroque era), especially "The Four Seasons" concherto. "La Primavera" is my favorite piece from that work. Also, for a more modern take on classical try out the Trans Siberian Orchestra. They're pretty rockin".

I like Vivaldi - in addition to the Four Seasons, I like L'Estro Armonico and the double concertos for strings

Additionally, Thomaso Albinoni who is also a Braroque era artist. He has some nice Obeo Concertis available from Naxos.

I also like Handel.

If if ain't baroque, don't fix it.:D

CombatMuffin
07-11-2010, 23:16
Holst's The Planets, Sequencia Lacrimosa Dies Illa by Mozart and Montaques and Capulet by Prokofiev are some of my favorites.

Verdi- Dies Irae is really good, but is very tense.

...and of course, Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss, famous for 2001: A Space Odissey.

I learned to love these from a classical compilation I found some time ago.

Has anyone listened to Max Richter? Not everything he composes is Classical, but he has some very good pieces which are very mellow to the ear. You can search for On the Nature of Daylight, Embers and The Last Days(more tense). Really good pieces.

Tress
04-05-2011, 18:28
Originally posted by NORMAL550GIRL

Personally I love it. A Big fan of the Renaissance, Romantic and Baroque periods.

Baroque??? You do not see too many people liking Baroque these days. I just checked the size of my classical music folder on my computer and it is presently at 11.4 gigs. About 1/3 of that 11 or so gigs is Barouque. I still have about 100 classical discs to rip yet. :boohoo

Too bad there is not a "harpsichord" smilie!!!

PSM
04-05-2011, 19:04
Brahms Symphony No. 1 in C Minor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he41HHCjMWM&feature=related). Often referred to as Beethoven's 10th. It doesn't invite you in, it drags you in!

Pat

Tress
04-05-2011, 19:11
My favorites are Mozart's Symphonies 40 and 41 and Handel's Water Music.

GratefulCitizen
04-05-2011, 19:18
Personally I love it. A Big fan of the Renaissance, Romantic and Baroque periods.

It's been rumored that listening to Baroque music while learning a new language increases retention.
This is different from the "Mozart effect" where spatial reasoning is supposed to get a temporary boost when listening to certain Mozart pieces.

Inherited a piano a couple of years ago.
Eventually dug up a copy of Mozart's Sonata No. 16 in C major.

Quit playing over 20 years ago.
With some practice, the allegro movement started to come back, but it's doubtful that my fingers will ever be able to move like they did at age 16.

Still enjoy listening to classical on the XM radio from time to time.

cszakolczai
04-05-2011, 22:16
Beethovens Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise are must listen to songs.

Mr Furious
04-06-2011, 18:56
Have two little ones (5 and 3) and both of them love classical music over anything else. We picked up this set not too long ago through IMP publishing called Classical Composers. After a few months into the normal shipments I called them and told them I didn’t want to screw around with shipments and just send me the whole thing. It’s about 80 CD/Books for around $1K. Wonderfully done and they have CD/Books for over 50 composers spanning each period from Early to Modern. Some composers have two CD’s such as Handel and Bach from the Baroque period as in the attached pic. We have plenty in digits but this was really a way for kids to pick it up, listen and look at pictures, etc…and enjoy it. The nice thing about them is the life and times of each composer as well as the story behind the pieces are included in the books. Ask my 5 year old what “Little Handel” did and he’ll tell you about how he used to sneak out of his room at night to play the spinet. Then his parents woke up and found him missing one night only to discover him off playing in the attic. It’s pretty cool that they take a liking to it so much.

Tress
04-16-2011, 11:03
Originally posted by Mr Furious:
We picked up this set not too long ago through IMP publishing called Classical Composers.... It’s about 80 CD/Books for around $1K. Wonderfully done and they have CD/Books for over 50 composers spanning each period from Early to Modern.

I have heard of that collection but have never felt comfortable spending that kind of money all at one time on CD's. It does seem like a pretty decent collection of music. :boohoo

mark46th
04-16-2011, 11:38
The Rabbit of Seville. Mel Blanc doing the voices.

uplink5
04-16-2011, 11:45
Andre Segovia, Fernando Sor, Fransisco Terrega, Julian Bream, John Williams and numerous other Classical Guitarist pieces.

Otherwise, when I'm feeling like killing someone/something (frequently on long drives) I can handle some Metallica or Ted Nugent Stranglehold among many others but, afterwards the classics and a glass of good Scotch can sooth the wild beast....

:boohoo.....jd

uplink5
04-16-2011, 12:02
I like Vivaldi - in addition to the Four Seasons,

One of my favorites as well, I chose this to write a short essay some years back at Cambell.

It follows:

La Primavera (The Four Seasons) – Vivaldi

The opening phrases in tutti, with all the instruments playing, and in ritornello, first boldly and

then somewhat subdued, sets the stage almost as if the curtains are opening and all of springs

elements are being presented. This is an introduction to spring with a common reoccurring theme

of renewal.

Then we’re introduced to the birds, first violin, a solo invite to another, then followed by another,

playing in concert with the other like hummingbirds, singing and soaring in playful circles to the

violins until, as if just a momentary diversion. Then, almost on cue, our attention is drawn back

into our renewal, our opening phrase, with all the elements, boldly.

Then subdued, in murmuring streams we can feel the breezes and glistening off the waters. As

the current picks up, then pools into a swirl along the bank. You can sense the brook and feel the

breeze. See the clouds as if lying on your back and taking it all in before a short siesta with

cellos lulling away the time. Another diversion, we’re brought back to the entire orchestra

coming in at the same time again yet, this time it’s in a lower key, almost an acknowledgement

to its reverence.

Suddenly, it gets dark. Awakened by the thunder and the flashes of light, our spring turns into a

momentary deluge of tremolos, until the high solo violins are hurriedly tasked with seeking

shelter. Then almost sheepishly the sun starts to come out again until ceremonially, spring is

distinguished again.

La Primavera is a most expressive piece that creates brilliantly vivid and dramatic pictures. If

not for the spring time theme, you could write a dramatic story around this piece about almost

anything to do with love and happiness, youth, or renewal.

LongWire
04-16-2011, 14:31
Beethovens Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise are must listen to songs.

Those 2 are fine pieces and who cannot say that they don't like symphony #9 an Ode to Joy? My personal favorite is his Piano Concerto #5 (Emperor). Anywho I would say that Beethoven is my Favorite composer.......not Bad for a Deaf Man!!!!

Would suggest that anyone who likes Beethoven watch the Movie Immortal Beloved with Gary Oldman (played excellently) as Beethoven. The movie is based on a letter that was found shortly after his death dedicated to his Immortal Beloved, someone that no one knew about. FYI

cszakolczai
04-18-2011, 21:26
Those 2 are fine pieces and who cannot say that they don't like symphony #9 an Ode to Joy? My personal favorite is his Piano Concerto #5 (Emperor). Anywho I would say that Beethoven is my Favorite composer.......not Bad for a Deaf Man!!!!

Would suggest that anyone who likes Beethoven watch the Movie Immortal Beloved with Gary Oldman (played excellently) as Beethoven. The movie is based on a letter that was found shortly after his death dedicated to his Immortal Beloved, someone that no one knew about. FYI

Ode to Joy, what an amazing piece. But moonlight sonata just reminds me of good times always. My mother had me listening to classical music at a young age. Actually our house is filled with paintings and sketches of the man himself. Nothing better then listening to Beethoven while doing work especially when the choice of music where I am is a little bit different.

I've seen the movie but cannot remember it, I'll have to watch it again now, thanks for the reminder.