PDA

View Full Version : Option 18x GED?

Dmax
10-21-2005, 17:59
Hi guys I am 22 years old and plan on enlisting very soon.My question is I had a DUI for a breathalyzer refusal and I have a GED.I talked with my recruiter yesterday about enlisting with the 18x contract.He told me enlisting wouldnt be a problem but because I had a DUI and a GED that there was no way I could get 18x in my contract .
He said I could probably get Airborne but im automatically DQ'ed from 18x, but he said after i go through infantry training that each battalion has a certain amount of slots for SF and that if I show im interested and perform good on PT then I should get one of those slots and thats the only way id be able to get a shot at SF? My other question is what is the diffrence between 18x and option 40? are they 2 seperate things, or the same thing? I will end up serving regardless but I would like to know if the option truly isnt an option for me and will I actually get a shot once im in infantry training to go SF if I perfrom great? Thanks for any insight!

Joedan
10-21-2005, 18:58
Option 40 is a Ranger contract, Im not sure if youll be able to get that either because of the DUI, youll have to wait for a professional to answer that for you. Just thought id clear up the Opt.40 question.

The Reaper
10-22-2005, 16:27
Dmax:

I agree, you will not be eligible for an 18X contract.

It may also affect your ability to get a security clearance.

Finally, you cannot hide it, and it will be seriously considered before you will be given a slot to the SFQC. The best thing you can do is to build as many clean years as you can before applying. Getting a second one is pretty much an absolute denial of ability to get into SF.

Good luck!

TR