PDA

View Full Version : USC Defeats Notre Dame in South Bend

Roguish Lawyer
10-15-2005, 17:57
I was about to post Sigi's new avatar for him, then I went back to the thread where I thought we bet on the game. Turns out that he, once again, pussed out. I guess that was a smart move, since Notre Dame seems to be incapable of beating USC, even at home when Leinart has a concussion and half of SC's defense is not playing due to injuries.

:lifter

Radar Rider
10-15-2005, 18:30
Don't forget the BS out of bounds call. The trojans got by on that one.

NousDefionsDoc
10-15-2005, 18:33
Notre Dame still has a football program?

Roguish Lawyer
10-15-2005, 18:59
Don't forget the BS out of bounds call. The trojans got by on that one.

The ball went out of bounds. What are you talking about?

Anyway, I heard on the radio that Charlie Weis went into the Trojan locker room after the game and gave a really classy 2-3 minute speech to the team, telling them that they played a great game and showed a lot of heart. I have tremendous respect for what he has done for the Notre Dame program, and I think that giving that speech was really a class act. Maybe next year.

Then again, maybe not! LMAO :lifter

JMI
10-16-2005, 04:38
Turns out that he, once again, pussed out.
Ahem...excuse me??? Dude, I bet you two years in a row and contributed both times to the SOWF. What are you talking about "pussed out again?"

4 and 9 and they go 61 yards. What did Bush have, 500 yards? But, ND did what I said they had to do. They controlled the ball for something like 17:00+ mins more than USC.

USC is one hell of a football team but ND had the game and could not finish. 1/2 of USC's defense and ML playing with a concussion? RL, you don't have to inflate the win with false heroics by USC. They are good team and very, very well coached.

UCLA should be one helluva game.

Radar Rider
10-16-2005, 09:55
The ball went out of bounds. What are you talking about?
Meh. Let's just say that Pete Carroll made the right decision to forego instant replay for the game. :p

Roguish Lawyer
10-16-2005, 10:19
Ahem...excuse me??? Dude, I bet you two years in a row and contributed both times to the SOWF. What are you talking about "pussed out again?"

4 and 9 and they go 61 yards. What did Bush have, 500 yards? But, ND did what I said they had to do. They controlled the ball for something like 17:00+ mins more than USC.

USC is one hell of a football team but ND had the game and could not finish. 1/2 of USC's defense and ML playing with a concussion? RL, you don't have to inflate the win with false heroics by USC. They are good team and very, very well coached.

UCLA should be one helluva game.

Are you Sigi?

Roguish Lawyer
10-16-2005, 10:20
Meh. Let's just say that Pete Carroll made the right decision to forego instant replay for the game. :p

Did you see the instant replay? I thought the game was over until I saw it -- the ball clearly was knocked out of his hands and went out of bounds. Not even a question.

JMI
10-16-2005, 11:48
The ball was knocked out before he was down, stopping the clock and giving them the ball with time on the clock. Instant replay would have showed that. There really should not have been a hole for him to climb through, though. Hurts everytime I watched it on Sportscenter.

And RL, who else would have bet you two times in two years on ND vs. SC? I am hurt you said I "pussed out." I paid dearly for two years, man. :cool:

Weis told the players in the USC locker room: "That was a (bleeping) hard fought battle. You're a great football team. I hope you win out."

Classy move by a classy guy, and we're lucky to have him. I have Romeo in Cleveland and Charlie in South Bend. Belichick is gonna have a few more hard coaches from his tree before it is all over, including Kirk Ferentz (Iowa.)

Roguish Lawyer
10-16-2005, 11:58
Look at this thread:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8174

You said you'd bet, but then never responded on what we were betting.

JMI
10-16-2005, 12:15
Look at this thread:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8174

You said you'd bet, but then never responded on what we were betting.
You said I pussed out, "again."

I bet the game 2 out of 3 years. I don't consider that pussing out.

Anyway, it was a good game. USC is a good team and so is Notre Dame. I don't see either one losing another game.

Roguish Lawyer
10-16-2005, 12:30
You said I pussed out, "again."

I bet the game 2 out of 3 years. I don't consider that pussing out.

Anyway, it was a good game. USC is a good team and so is Notre Dame. I don't see either one losing another game.

Oh, OK. You only pussed out this year.

JMI
10-16-2005, 12:41
LMAO. It is a matter of perspective I suppose. You say I am pussing out, but then say I was probably smart to puss out. Lets just say USC is hard to bet against this year and leave it at that. I try not to take internet chatter as personal, so it's not like getting called a puss by a USC fan questions my manhood. There are so many frickin' USC fans jumping the bandwagon and crawling out of thier closets it sickens me. At least Notre Dame fans are loyal through Good and Bad. :lifter :rolleyes:

AMP
10-17-2005, 12:11
I have been to many outstanding ND games over the years, Florida State, Michigan. on and on. But THAT game was great, except for the outcome. I would of never thought we would be looking this good after the Willingham, Urban Who situation. Charlie Weis has the potential to be one of the greatest coaches in ND history. In addition, he has been recruiting some outstanding blue chip players. USC has a great coach and football program. I love college football!!!!!

Warrior-Mentor
10-17-2005, 12:29
Was hoping to Notre Dame pull it out...good Jesuit College...underdog, etc

Great game though.

Manstein
10-18-2005, 08:19
USC got a favorable spot by the refs on the 1 foot line. If they were any further back from the goaline, I highly doubt Leinart would of tried that sneak up the gut.

What really irks me is that Reggie Bush clearly pushed Leinart into the end zone from behind, which is against the rules.

But enough whining for now (I wanted USC to win in actuality, I just hate seeing games like that end in controversy). ND had a chance to win the game on 4th and 8, and they gave up a 60 yard pass.

What a great game to watch.

Schutze74
10-18-2005, 10:43
I think if you go back through the game both sides got away w/ stuff. And even Lou Holtz said after the game every team helps push its players and name one team that doesn't.

Besides true champions on 3rd down can throw 60+ yrds and get a first down. Leinhart isn't a Heisman trophy winner for nothing. Champions know how to win even if it means coming from behind to win the game on the enemy's field w/ 4 inch high grass and do it in a perfect 2 min drill.

After the season ND has had, I firmly believe Charlie Weiss will be coaching there for several more years. Look at this way, you have two former NFL coaches that are bringing a lot to the table for both teams and you will have some great games the next several years.

Charlie Weiss is a class act. Any coach that goes into the locker room and congratulates the team that just beat you in a clutch game says alot about his character.

Lothar
10-19-2005, 00:25
Both programs are a class act and represent the best of college football. The two coaches approach to coaching in the collegiate arena is reminescent of some of the leaders of old. Joe Paterno (ya, I know he is still around but he is old school), Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Johnny Majors, Ara Parseghian to name a few. Leaders of men, leaders that know how to make those men into champions.

This rivalry, with its renewed importance on the national scene, is one of my favorties even though I am not from either state.

God Bless college football.

JMI
10-20-2005, 19:21
My take on the fumble was it should have been a tad farther back than where it was spotted. Replay would have put them back a few yards, but at the same time it was a ballsy call on his part (Leinhart.) Spike or Sneak? Holy smokes that was a gutsy call by both Bush and Leinhart.

As for Bush pushing Matt over, like Charlie Weis said I hope my RB would do the same thing. Illegal? Yes. Smart? You're damn right! What is the penalty for that, 5 yards? The clock stops and you kick for OT. An extremely intelligent play on both of those kids parts giving the situation.

I still hate the outcome of this game because ND expected to win, and this makes the season so much different. But those kids on the USC sideline are full of class, talent and coaching.

Trojans.....good for scoring in bunches! :D

JMI
10-20-2005, 19:48
Charlie Weiss is a class act. Any coach that goes into the locker room and congratulates the team that just beat you in a clutch game says alot about his character.
What I think most people here would appraciate is that Charlie Weis brings his son, Charlie, to every game on every sideline. I read his interviews every Monday and he always brings up the word "lessons" and he invariably always mentions what lessons his son can learn.

The lesson he taught Charlie, according to his interview this Monday ( because little Charlie accompanied him to the USC locker room), was that even though you lose, it is tougher to show class in defeat (or victory) than gloat in victory. Little Charlie asked Weis "Why are we going here, Dad, they just beat us."

"Because, Charlie, it was a tough game that both sides deserved to win. Congratulating them doesn't take away from the pain of losing, but we can hold up our head in a battle well fought."

I am sure little Charlie has more questions and I am positive he has a great teacher in Dad Weis.

Sometimes the team that wins deserves a tip of the cap. Charlie is changing the culture of Notre Dame and he is teaching not only others sons how to be champions, but his own as well.

Yeah, a bit sappy. Maybe a homer view. But I am sure glad to have him as our coach.

Could be a USC / Notre Dame rivalry for a long while. Lets hope so!