PDA

View Full Version : A real kick in the ass! Not in a good way.

CPTAUSRET
10-14-2005, 19:25
I entered my name (Terry J Gwinn) in Google just for the hell of it, and this is what I got.

http://www.flyarmy.org/K10176.HTM

When that that kid reported into the platoon he looked 15 years old, I couldn't believe he was cobra qual'd. He was, and I made the decision that he was going to ride as my front seat, I would make sure that he went home safe.

If you read the entire thing, you will note in the general information that I allude to threatening the Doctor with my Car-15. In actuality I crammed it (Car-15) into his mouth, and demanded that he fix the kid, "Fix him or join him.", after awhile I realized that with half of his brain in his helmet he wasn't going to get any better. At that point I withdrew the weapon, apologized to the Doc, gave him my name and unit, and told him that I would understand if he wanted to press charges. He stated that he didn't want to cause me any more problems.

That was one shitty day, we had been flying along looking for trouble...the front canopy exploded, and I had blood and grey matter all over. The front of the windshield was so covered in blood and gore that I could barely see out of it to fly. It was a totally helpless, frustrating situation, I knew he was badly wounded, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to help him. I contacted Rach Gia told them to get their MD to the runway, and I would land next to his aid vehicle. I was informed that he was in a meeting, and would be along when he could.

I exploded, and exchanged words with the tower, when I got to Rach Gia he was there, and I landed right next to him.

Shitty day all around.

Terry

Michelle
10-14-2005, 19:50
Thank you Terry.

For....for everything.

Don't have any other words. I'm sorry.

m1

CPTAUSRET
10-14-2005, 19:57
Thank you Terry.

For....for everything.

Don't have any other words. I'm sorry.

m1

Michelle:

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

What we do sounds glamorous at times, but most of the time it isn't, sometimes it is ugly...This is an example of that.

Terry

The Reaper
10-14-2005, 20:04
Sorry for the loss, Terry.

RIP Warrant Officer Bodell.

TR

CPTAUSRET
10-14-2005, 20:28
[QUOTE=The Reaper]Sorry for the loss, Terry.

RIP Warrant Officer Bodell.

TR[/QUOTE

TR:

Thanks brother!

This actually happened on two occasions...If we had been in a B-model UH-1, the CE or gunner could have popped his seat loose, and rendered some kind of aid, in either case it would not have mattered...But he would not have been alone.

Terry

vsvo
10-14-2005, 21:46
Terry, I am sorry for your loss.

RIP

CPTAUSRET
10-14-2005, 23:33
Terry, I am sorry for your loss.

RIP

Thanks, there is a bit more to the story...I may post it one of these days.

Terry

Huey14
10-15-2005, 00:27
Mr. Gwinn,

I do not usually write these sorts of posts, but I feel it's needed here.

I will always admire men like yourself, by this I mean combat pilots. Often when I have been flying I think "Shit, guys were flying into all sorts of shit slower and lower than what I'm doing now" and it brings all the tales of bravery I have read into some sort of focus.

I break into sweat just thinking about engine failure- to have a vital component destroyed or a mate wounded while under fire is something I cannot imagine.

For this, sir, I salute you. I'm not very good at expressing myself, so I hope I've put what I feel out there properly.

swatsurgeon
10-15-2005, 06:41
Terry,
as a surgeon that has 'been under the gun' by family or friend of a patient, I always try to explain: I can only provide the tools for healing, the miracles are out of my hands.
There is no greater virtue than caring, which you displayed for your comrade...there is no greater loss than the one you felt at that time.
There is no second guessing your actions of the words of the surgeon when you landed. Clinical decisions are made and have to be lived with...read my byline ....the instant judgement...irrevocable actions, monumentous and dreadful all under the conditions of great stress......what is expected is the impossible but we try to deliver just that....unfortunately it doesn't always have a happy ending.
What you did is what I would expect, no less and nothing to be ashamed about in the hierarchy of command....you did what any fellow soldier would do.
ss

CPTAUSRET
10-15-2005, 09:13
Mr. Gwinn,
I break into sweat just thinking about engine failure- to have a vital component destroyed or a mate wounded while under fire is something I cannot imagine.

For this, sir, I salute you. I'm not very good at expressing myself, so I hope I've put what I feel out there properly.

Heuy:

I think You expressed yourself very well.

I thank you for your comments.

Terry

CPTAUSRET
10-15-2005, 09:57
Terry,
as a surgeon that has 'been under the gun' by family or friend of a patient, I always try to explain: I can only provide the tools for healing, the miracles are out of my hands.
There is no greater virtue than caring, which you displayed for your comrade...there is no greater loss than the one you felt at that time.
There is no second guessing your actions of the words of the surgeon when you landed. Clinical decisions are made and have to be lived with...read my byline ....the instant judgement...irrevocable actions, monumentous and dreadful all under the conditions of great stress......what is expected is the impossible but we try to deliver just that....unfortunately it doesn't always have a happy ending.
What you did is what I would expect, no less and nothing to be ashamed about in the hierarchy of command....you did what any fellow soldier would do.
ss

S:

I was thinking of you when I wrote this, wondering about your take on the situation...We are of a like mind. You'd be good to have around!

Larry Bodell was a good man, he did hs best! He gave his life for his country!

Terry