PDA

View Full Version : Options for Michelle and others who've lost a beloved pet

Dog Off Leash
10-13-2005, 20:40
Hey all,

Sorry to hear about your loss, Michelle. Tango was a beautiful companion for a beautiful lady. Sorry it took so long for me to respond in length, as I don't check here every day.

Now, we've all lost a dog that's been near & dear to us. For some, it was our partner, whom we relied upon when things got hairy. For others, it was a cherished companion and pet. The sense of loss & emptiness that's felt when they're gone can be incredible. However, there is hope.

In my experience, the easiest way to overcome the loss of a great dog is to immediately get another.

By no means am I suggesting a dog to "replace" Tango or any other canine compadres that have passed on - that'll never happen.

I am suggesting "getting back on that horse" and pressin' on. The quicker the better.

I've found that for some reason, especially with dogs, when a good one passes on, a puppy goes a long way to help the healing process - as long as you understand that the new puppy won't be the same as the last one. Like humans, dogs are individuals, with their own sets of quirks and the such.

So what are our options?

One option that I've been questioned on in the past - and which I definately DO NOT recommend - is the "puppy programs" where civilians adopt working dogs for the first year or so of their lives, for the simple fact that once you've raised that pooch from a lil one to a strapping young buck (or lass) of a dog - and have completely bonded with that animal - you are forced to give it up. I don't think this is fair to the person nor the animal, especially if the individual has family, or relies upon this dog like someone in Michelle's position would.

Now, if you're up to it, and meet the criteria, you can look into adopting a retireing or washed-out Military Working Dog. This option isn't for everyone, but it is out there. There is a "800" number located here: http://dodmwd.lackland.af.mil/adoption_index.htm (for some reason my options for links, smilies, etc don't work, so I had to post the link itself). This is the page for the DoD MWD Center.

However, to be honest, if you've got the time & capabilities, I'd suggest a puppy from a reputable breeder. If you still would like a large breed, i.e. German Shepherd, I can give suggestions for a reputable breeder, but be warned: good dogs aren't cheap. A good friend of mine, civilian cop and former K-9 guy, just got a new female puppy (for house, not work) and she's completely adorable. I can inquire as to price & location if any would like.

Or, a good option if money is a problem is always the Humane Society. All of the dogs my family has owned while I was growing up were "pound puppies", and all of them were great animals. My mom has one now - a chocolate lab and what appears to be Chow mix - that is just a complete & utter doll. Too small for my tastes (about 50 lbs), but still a hell of a dog.

If I can be of further, please, by all means - let me know.

Phil

QRQ 30
10-13-2005, 20:55
I strongly believe in adoption. The humane society has good deserving pets. I have four dogs now and have had dozens at one time or another. I never bought one. I really get ill to see dogs sold for ridiculous prices when there are so many homeless mutts around. There are two major pet stores in town. PetSmart doesn't sell dogs or cats but works with the Humane society to arrange adoptions. Pet Lover's sells dogs for $400 to $1000.

My latest acquisition is a Sharpei (almost). A wire haired snuck into the wood pile and I have one of the only 4 wire haired Sharpeis in the world. The mother and her litter were dumped on the side of the road on Halloween night three years ago. Luckily, it was near a kennel and the lady picked them up and gave them to people who could offer a good home.

I have seen several retired grey hounds up for adoption. They are great pets but need room to run.

freds4
10-13-2005, 22:44
I strongly believe in adoption. The humane society has good deserving pets. I have four dogs now and have had dozens at one time or another. I never bought one. I really get ill to see dogs sold for ridiculous prices when there are so many homeless mutts around.

I could not agree more! ALL of my dogs have come from the local pound and I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could pay good money for a dog when the pounds are overflowing with great dogs that need a good home.
If you are looking for a particular breed there are plenty of places that specialize.

jasonglh
10-13-2005, 22:54
I would not have any problem getting a small breed dog from a shelter but not sure I would want to get a large breed from there. With my last German Shepherd and my current dog a Rottweiler Miko (http://www.ludicrousspeedracing.com/Miko.html) I bought them from breeders so that I knew their temperment and that their hips were certified. I bought the Rottie for my wife because I was working EMS at the time and was gone much of the time. Last thing I wanted was to get her a dog and then to have to have it put down due to hip dysplasia.

Many dog breeds have Rescue groups especially it seems the large breeds. They all make cute little puppies but some of them grow to be big ole dogs and suddenly people do not want them anymore. Another shameful thing I have seen is a family has that first child and suddenly has to get rid of their dog. I took in a Doberman once from a nitwit because she learned she was pregnant and was going to have the dog put down. All because the dog could do something to the baby and the moron was only a few weeks pregnant. Luckily after a month or so I was able to find her a good home.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-14-2005, 00:21
I agree with the adoption of dogs from the pound, as they sure are in need of a "forever home."

On the other hand I love Bull Terriers, as some others love other breeds and would not be happy without one.

I have found that most registered AKA breeds have associations/clubs that have Rescue Committees that seek out and try to find homes for dogs of that particular breed of dog. Local pounds have the telephone number of the various breed clubs and notifiy them when a dog of that breed come in. The Rescue poeple also search the pounds as well. So, if one wants a particular type of dog, that would be a good source as well.

I haven't checked lately; however, the local pounds here were full of Rotties and Pit Bulls, the last time I checked.

QRQ 30
10-14-2005, 07:32
http://tadahling.tripod.com/id22.htm

Pepe has since gone to the big bone yard in the sky.

ALF has the genetic traits of a Sharpei: an ingrown eye lid. The lady that picked him up had surgery done, pre-paid all of the doctor bills and gave me a supply of additional vaccine for his shots. She breeds Yorkies. Many/most breeders are good people but I think the puppy mills that mass produce puppies to sell at flea markets are criminal and should be prosecuted.

I now have an addition to the farm: Zeba, the Tasmanian She-devil. She has the appearance and traits of a mini chow but the markings of a Siberian. She had the disposition of Taz but has mellowed. We didn't think she would live long since her internal organs continued to grow while her chest cavity stopped. She grew out of it rhough.

Michelle
10-14-2005, 10:58
What a great post. Thank you Phil. Yes, there will be another dog in the house.... I'm just not sure when. I have a little girl dog, a Jindo, that I got as a birthday present for Tango, on his 11th Birthday (yes, that is chauvinistic, to buy him a "girlfriend".... I know, lol. But he was going stir crazy in retirement and we needed to shake his world up a bit). Hana (the Jindo) was an abuse rescue. Wow, those dogs take extra work, time and love to socialize but its worth it. She's an incredibly well adjusted pup now.

As for Tango, funny story attached to him... I found him in a vacant lot when he was not quite a year old. He had been abandoned and was in dire health, but was absolutely determined he was going home with me. I'd never had a dog... wasn't looking for a dog, could barely afford to feed myself at the time let alone another, but he was adamant! lol. And so, our journey began.

I've never bought a dog from a breeder or a pet shop. That's fine for people that want to, but for me there always seems to be circumstances that land the creature in my Universe because it's meant to be.

I'm going to wait a bit.... do some bonding time with the girl (she's very lost and down right now), and see what unfolds. She WILL need another companion around this house. I have no doubt some dog out there will "pick us" soon enough. And if it's not a stray, it will be from a rescue organization or the pound. I may check into the Doberman rescue foundation down the road. We shall see. But I agree with you completely Phil. The best course of action is to get back on the horse after you've fallen off. The harder you hit the ground, the faster you should get up and get on with it.

Some incredibly great info in this thread. Thank you all.

m1
P.S. QRQ 30, what a great pack you have there!